• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mail-in Rebate Troubles

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late Feb. I bought two items that came with significant mail-in rebates (I wouldnt have bought these particular items w/o the rebate).

They were supposed to take 6-8 weeks, but have not arrived. I filed all the information correctly, and sent them within the time period. I checked the status on the site a month ago, and it shows that one was mistakenly filed as a $20 Canon rebate rather than a hard drive rebate. The other one (widescreen LCD monitor) was correctly filed. The status as of today has not changed - 'required validation period'.

I sent them an email, to which I received an automated reply:

"Thank you for visiting the Office Depot Rebate Center. We apologize our
answer could not be more satisfactory to your situation. Our client
supplies us with very specific instructions as to the submission
requirements consumers must meet to receive their item. Regrettably, we
cannot do anything more from here. We apologize for any inconvenience
this may have caused and hope you will continue to enjoy our client's
fine products."

I found out that the rebates are handled through an agency called Young America. Contacted them through their website, but no word yet.

What would you do next? Like I said, the rebates are a pretty significant amount ($XXX) and I would not have purchased either item if it did not come with a rebate.

jett

Reaction score
you are fucked. mail in rebates are a huge scam.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See what Motley Fool has to say:

Motley Fool on Rebates

I think that it is apparent, that part of the Rebate business plan is to pay as slow as possible or not pay at all.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just got a response from Sears about a $50 rebate. They rejected it saying that the receipt we sent in was "illegible". It's their own damned receipt from their cash register and it's illegible. They're full of ****.

There must be some recourse, but I can't imagine what it is. Especially since they kept the receipt so we have nothing to show for it. F-ers.

It's only $50 but still.

I feel for you.

b

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that any or all of you contact your state's Attorney General. If this is happening on a regular basis, it is consumer fraud.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the only thing that you can do now really is to call and annoy the **** out of them. This seems to work for some people over at slickdeals and fatwallet. Personally, I'm wary of rebates. I'm usually willing to pay a bit extra so not to have to deal with the bullshit. Post your questions here and I'm sure somebody will give you some tips. BTW, Young America's contacts can be found here.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I called one of these companies and told them I would keep calling until they sent my rebate. They sent it.

BTW, since the rebates are done through the mails, I'm pretty sure that making some crap excuse to not pay it is mail fraud. You might try mentioning that to them. Having a lawyer friend mention it could also be useful.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i have experienced the same with Cingular and their mail in rebates.

the first contract for the phones i received were two $100 mail in rebates. the next year were 2 $50 rebates. the conditions are VERY PICKY.

you have to follow exactly what they say or they nullify it.
the $100 ones came pretty quick.

the $50 ones i made a mistake and instead of placing the ACTUAL proof of purchase i mailed in a copy. they were not going to honor it but then i had the cingular store where i got the phones from and had the manager who sold me the phones put everything in writing what happened and after a month i got the rebates.

i had a best buy rebate that was very easy to do. best buy is a great customer service store.

mail-in-rebates do require to jump through hoops, key is to do EXACTLY what they tell you. and before you purchase anything with a rebate, find out exactly who to contact if a problem arises and get that person and manager's name who sell it to you.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sent a few emails to the address on the Young America site - got a reply today. They say they will expedite the process and will get the check sent out within 10 days. If I don't get it in two weeks, I'm calling their office three times a day until I get my cash...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Send them a dead fish wrapped in wax paper. They'll get the message.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
BTW, since the rebates are done through the mails, I'm pretty sure that making some crap excuse to not pay it is mail fraud. You might try mentioning that to them. Having a lawyer friend mention it could also be useful.

Not necessarily on the mail fraud point, but I won't bore you with a more detailed explanation unless you really want me to.
The "be a pest" approach is probably the best, but other potentially useful steps (some mentioned by others) include contacting the consumer fraud division of your state AG and/or local DA, filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, having a lawyer friend write a nasty letter, and filing a small claims suit.

You might also do a bit of googling and see if there's a class action suit or settlement out there dealing with your particular merchant, since I believe there have been some filed over mail-in rebate practices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads