• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mahogony shoes -- what color suit?

DPDNYC

Reaction score
Just made my first foray into non-black dress shoes with a pair of mahogony split-toe lace-ups bought on sale at cole haan. Any opinions w/r/t what color suit would go best with this color shoe?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's one of the great things about mahogany/cordovan shoes -- they go with almost anything.  Gray, charcoal, navy, black.  While black goes with everything, too, I think cordovan shows a little more individuality.

dan

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would help if you posted a picture, but off the top of my head, a navy or charcoal (or grey) pinstripe would work best, followed by solids and chalkstripes, then by windowpanes, and finally by solids. The split toe detail works best with a suit with a bit of visual detail itself (thus the pinstripes), but not so much that it constantly competes for attention itself (windowpane suits can be very difficult to match).

Of course, the exact shade of the suit depends very much on that of the shoes. Is this a very red mahogany, or is it closer to chestnut?

In the summer, you could also try them with a tan suit.

DPDNYC

Reaction score
Thanks for the input; i'm particularly thankful since every suit I own is either navy or some shade of grey. The shoes are more of a chestnut -- very little red is evident to my eye at least.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I hope you bought a cordovan belt to go along with it.

That's one of the great things about mahogany/cordovan shoes -- they go with almost anything.  Gray, charcoal, navy, black.  While black goes with everything, too, I think cordovan shows a little more individuality.

I agree with this, with a couple of exceptions:

1 - I don't agree that cordovan goes with black.  I've seen some people attempt it with misplaced confidence.  If you're going to wear a black suit, wear black shoes.

2 - I don't think black goes with everything either.  In particular, earth tones and black looks terrible to me.  That includes any hue of brown or khaki.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And a cordovan briefcase.
wink.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a mahogany pocket square? Wait, you'll probably need a brown, semi-precious stone in your cufflinks to match. Seriously, enough with the cordovan. Matching the belt and shoes is necessary. Any more matching is just anal retentive. Go with a crocodile watchband. Also, don't carry a briefcase unless you positively must, in which case, have just 2, a hard black case for formal meetings, and a soft brown case with a detachable shoulder strap to trundle papers around in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads