• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnetic Collar Stays

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Regardless of whether those things work well - probably not is my guess - unless I'm missing something the article is pretty stupid. Am I not correct in reading it as suggesting that using magnetic collar stays are being offered as a "cure" for those days when your collar is flopping around because you forgot to put collar stays in? If you forget to put your collar stays in, what difference does it make if they're plastic, MOP, magnetic, or kryptonite?

Yeah, that was weird. Collar stays for those days when you forget to put in your collar stays. Brilliant.

jmatt

Reaction score
I'm guessing the purpose is to hold a NON button-down collar in the position it would have as if it were a button-down collar. It seems like the effect would be to make a dress shirt look correct without a tie, instead of looking like you were wearing a shirt & tie earlier in the day, and had removed the tie.

Pure speculation on my part.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I see your point, although I don't know why the "collar position" of a button-down is any more correct than the "collar position" of a spread collar, so long as neither is askew. But what struck me as stupid was that the article starts with the premise that your collar will probably look crappy if you forget to put in collar stays, which is not a problem that is going to be solved by buying (and forgetting) a different type of collar stay.
For my taste, collars designed for ties start looking dangerously 1976'ish when worn without a tie. Holding the tips in place a la button-down, seems to keep the neck from falling open and looking like Travolta in the 70's.

That being said, you've hit the ironic nail on the head: A stay to keep one's shirt looking nice when one forgets to put stays in? What? I don't believe I'll rush out with my order any time soon.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea doesn't do much at all for me. Transparent metal stays--now that would be something.
sly.gif

Oliver

Reaction score
You and I, Vintage Gent, must go into business. Clear, lab grown corrundum (sapphire, ruby) collar stays. Tougher then Diamond....

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oliver
You and I, Vintage Gent, must go into business. Clear, lab grown corrundum (sapphire, ruby) collar stays. Tougher then Diamond....

I'd be willing to pay at least $10 for a pair of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics