• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Magnanni wholecuts, changing color

savage_here

Reaction score
I saw a pair of Magnanni wholecuts today in DSW. Loved the shape and the general color, but they had some sort of striped antiquing on them. It was strange. Would this be able to be easily changed, or is it not worth the trouble?

BTW, I've never bought this brand, but it's a good look at a great pricepoint.

Thanks.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Magnannis very pleasing to the eye.

Construction wise/ quality wise probably not as great. But I'm a fan.

Now to your question, I would think buying a shoe to alter the antiquing would be unwise.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
magnanni are quite inexpensive, even at retail. i find the leather and the construction though to be way below santoni, which imo magnanni is trying to copy off. the picture above do have an interesting patina, i'd buy that on the cheap.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savage_here
I saw a pair of Magnanni wholecuts today in DSW. Loved the shape and the general color, but they had some sort of striped antiquing on them. It was strange. Would this be able to be easily changed, or is it not worth the trouble?

BTW, I've never bought this brand, but it's a good look at a great pricepoint.

Thanks.

Hey Savage, those are nice. Did you find them at DSW for less than shoemall? If so, how much, and would you mind picking me up a pair? I'll pay a little for your troubles, of course. Is the antiquing for the DSW pair the same as shoemall?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez, those are quite nice--and very reasonably priced. I'm not sure I'd call the color pattern antiquing exactly, but it's not unattractive to my eye, and I think I could get to like it. However, keep in mind that with a few polishings, using a slightly darker cream and wax polish, the striation pattern could be made to pretty much disappear, or at least become very obscured, if you weren't happy with it.

I think that Magnanni is a decent shoe brand; we have them in Vancouver, and they're not cheap. The one thing that might give me pause would be what they refer to as "Bologna" construction. Whether or not it's true Bologna construction--or, perhaps, Blake construction (it's hard to make out whether or not there is any stitching on the top of the sole extension)--it's not welted construction, and this likely means that they probably won't wear as well as a welted shoe. For this reason, I might hesitate to buy them if I were looking for a workhorse shoe. On the other hand, if they were being bought for lighter use, the construction method wouldn't concern me.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40