• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnanni or AE

versusqc

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently in the market for a Monks type shoe, and since I cannot find RL Rivington in Quebec, I looked in the forum for other brand.
teacha.gif

I saw two nice Double Strap Monks avalaible fairly cheap near where I live. I will go try them latter on this week, but I just wanted to know if their quality and construction(life-spawn) of each of those.

This one is by Magnanni, in burgundy , made in Spain
MAGN-9705-1B.jpg

The others are the Allens-Edmonds Mora, in Brown Burnished Calf
41ASN00EH1L._SS500_.jpg

Thanks a lot for the help
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Mora is much nicer, and AEs are better shoes than Magnannis. No brainer.

versusqc

Reaction score
ok yeah, I read that the AE will last longuer. I just hope my local shop still have Mora in my size :p
If he dont, are the Magnanni a good deal for 150$can, or should I consider other brand for monks?
edit: thanks :)

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the one pair of Magnannis I own:

Fotos-0517.jpg

are alot sleeker than the one pair of AEs I own:

Fotos-0468.jpg

In the case of the shoes you're talking about, there's not such a big difference. It's true that AEs are alot more solid-feeling than Magnannis, and will probably end up lasting longer, so if price is not much of a consideration in the choice I'd take the AEs. Having said that, 150 Canadian dollars is less than 100 euros - which is a steal for a pair of Magnannis IMHO.

Why not get both?
wink.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by versusqc
ok yeah, I read that the AE will last longuer. I just hope my local shop still have Mora in my size :p
If he dont, are the Magnanni a good deal for 150$can, or should I consider other brand for monks?
edit: thanks :)

At 1/3 of $150, I would not get the Magnanni. They are very clunky looking. Mora is often available through the Amazon connected e-sellers and is often available new on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

If you are willing to pay retail, any AE store can have shipped from any other.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Magnannis but in this particular comparison the Moras look much better.

versusqc

Reaction score
ok great, I just hope my retailer can have some Mora, Nearly all the AE in store are on sale for 150$ too, but I cannot find the Mora listed on his website so I will call him tomorow(today is holiday for everyone
musicboohoo[1].gif
) EDIT: and about getting both, I do not have enough shoes to get 2 pair of monkstrap :p I guess If I cannot find Mora I will end up buying another style of AE, giving all the good comments I hear about those

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads