• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Magna/summa cum laude on resume

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Is this something people generally do?

I would imagine "cum laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant cum laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.

Mr. Macaque

Reaction score
First job: yes. Second job: yes. Third job and thereafter: no.

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people who graduate cum laude just say they graduated with honors. Put it for your first couple of jobs and then don't bother.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I list cum laude on mine. I used to think it was common until I started working and saw a bunch of resumes whenever I did recruiting. I realized that most people never graduate anywhere near 3.5GPA.

My school was cum laude at 3.5, magna at 3.8, and summa at 4.0.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
I list cum laude on mine. I used to think it was common until I started working and saw a bunch of resumes whenever I did recruiting. I realized that most people never graduate anywhere near 3.5GPA. My school was cum laude at 3.5, magna at 3.8, and summa at 4.0.
Yeah, I guess that is true. There are, what, 4,000 colleges in the U.S.? The actual number of honors degrees granted must be pretty small.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can put it on there, but just listing the actual GPA, if it is notably high, is far more common.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is this something people generally do? I would imagine "cum laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant cum laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.
Too bad, Cunny, that you don't go to one of those snooty schools that don't even calculate a GPA OR put it on a transcript unless specifically requested. They don't even have "Summa cum laude" or whatever. When only your university's initials are enough....

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Too bad, Cunny, that you don't go to one of those snooty schools that don't even calculate a GPA OR put it on a transcript unless specifically requested. They don't even have "Summa cum laude" or whatever. When only your university's initials are enough....

They do both idiot. I'm sure the elite institution you're currently studying at does this too...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They do both idiot. I'm sure the elite institution you're currently studying at does this too...

Oh, snarl, Cunny, snarl.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this something people generally do?

I would imagine "cum laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant cum laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.

What's the point of listing any of those if you went to Ohio St.?

That's like saying, o, I got the award for being the skinniest kid at obesity camp.

Everyone at HYP has cum laude, they hand them out like condoms at a highschool health class, but at least they're worth something.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What's the point of listing any of those if you went to Ohio St.? That's like saying, o, I got the award for being the skinniest kid at obesity camp. Everyone at HYP has cum laude, they hand them out like condoms at a highschool health class, but at least they're worth something.
I should just put "B.A., State School, Don't Hire Me" on my resume.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cunny, I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

If a firm decides that your masochistic, fawning, frightened, reaching, pseudo/proto/quasi/Waspy-wannabe alcoholic, flamingly homosexual tendencies don't disqualify you from the job... then where you got your degree will probably not be a problem.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should just put "B.A., State School, Don't Hire Me" on my resume.

Why waste the ink? Just put OSU, and make sure it's printed on 100% recycled paper so that they can see that even though your degree is useless, you're socially conscious enough to know exactly where the C.V. is going. Maybe you can get some points with environmentalists that way.

HR at high powered jobs might look at that C.V. and at least call you for an interview since you evidently have a sense of humor.

OR

Transfer like I fucking told you and stop bitching about doing an extra year and have a degree that isn't just evidence of your own good education but also something that is worth something to other people. If we only went to university for ourselves, we would need nothing more than a library card and an internet connection. Degrees are often more for other people than for yourself.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, if you are insecure about your school, transfer.

So many whiners who are disappointed in themselves for what sorry school they got into do nothing about it, when in fact they could do so much. The process is self-selecting, I suppose.

Connemara

Reaction score
I'm not disappointed.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20