1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Magic: The Gathering

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by robertorex, Mar 14, 2011.

1. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

I spend the time I would otherwise spend playing Magic on adult activities these days.

2. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

What is LARPing?

Sorry I did not google before posting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

What is LARPing?
    Orchard Street Wolf Pack in da house!!

4. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

So I just built myself a deck in the hopes of playing tournaments somewhat more regularly, and here's how I did it:

The Event Decks are a new product that were released in the current expansion, and they are basically preconstructed decks marketed as being better than average for the "tournament player". Of course this is largely marketing hype by Wizards and if you played one of these out of the box you would get crushed almost anywhere you went. I noticed that the red Event Deck is much better than the black-blue one and contains much more valuable cards, so I bought two of the red decks and basically cherrypicked the good cards so that it would be much stronger. It cost me about $40 so it's a very economical solution if you want a familiar looking Standard format deck. I say economical because many top tier decks in the current metagame have total ebay prices of several hundred dollars, and I feel I was able to get something competitive going rather cheaply. I always liked playing red because it's the color of insane speed - you can win with inferior cards if you end the game before your opponent can set up the board state to his favor. Of course, I have to run this in some Standard tournaments before I can decide how happy I am with it.

Magic's an awesome game because even if one day everyone hops on the bandwagon of the $600 deck full of mythic rares, it's always possible for much cheaper decks to win with superior play. I don't think I'll be winning any Pro Tours soon, but I think right now it's definitely possible to invest between $50-$100 (perhaps even less) in a deck that will let you join Standard tournaments and consistently place high, which = more cards in prizes etc. I think that the designers have come a long way in balancing power out throughout the rarity levels such that powerful decks are easier to build on a budget than ever before.

I don't know if tournament participation costs have gone up drastically, but the shop close to me charges $5 for entry to their weekly Constructed tournaments, and $20 for their discount Limited sealed night, where you build your deck on the spot from 6 boosters and unlimited lands. Seems like a good deal considering that boosters are $4 each.

I don't know why I just wrote that out, call it a "state of Magic" post from someone getting back in and just wanting to drop unsolicited information.

5. robertorex

Ok so I discovered Magic Workstation, seems to be a way to play Magic for free online. Will play a bit with some friends, and if I can get it to work smoothly and there's interest, I'll post some instructions up here.

6. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Well-Known Member

Used to play with a mixed white/green deck when I was a lot younger, but gave it up and gave all my cards to a friend's younger brother. I doubt that there was anything terribly valuable in there anyway.

If I were to start playing nowadays, I'd probably go with blue. Just to mess with people.

7. robertorex

Hah, blue is always fun, it's the color of messing with people and being annoying with your countermagic and card advantage. The thing about blue is that it always seems to be the most expensive color to play. There's a card now called Jace, the Mind Sculptor (a planeswalker, a card type that didn't even exist when I first played magic) that all blue control decks want 4 of just because it's so strong, and it fetches roughly $100+ a card in the singles market.

Still, it's fun to build blue decks just because they have interesting win conditions. I lost a game last week when I got someone down to 1 life and the guy used his fucking Jace to remove my library from the game, gg. I saw another blue-red deck use an absurd combo to create infinite turns. It's definitely the most fun color to play if you love seeing your opponents cry like little children beneath your grand plan.

8. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

hey how is magic workstation working out for you? Mac compatible versions?

9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Ok so I discovered Magic Workstation, seems to be a way to play Magic for free online. Will play a bit with some friends, and if I can get it to work smoothly and there's interest, I'll post some instructions up here.

The game was very socially oriented, as I experienced it. I was too young to drive when I played, so it was all part of the experience as a kid. Trading up, finding great deals at shops, tearing opening a new pack that you just bought...I just can't see the online version living up to my experience playing it with my friends back in the day.

10. WhoKnewI

Def, but it can be a cheap (free) way to test decks before going out and actually getting the cards.

11. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

The game was very socially oriented, as I experienced it. I was too young to drive when I played, so it was all part of the experience as a kid. Trading up, finding great deals at shops, tearing opening a new pack that you just bought...I just can't see the online version living up to my experience playing it with my friends back in the day.

The ability to jump in and out of games at will and not have to deal with shuffling or manually switching cards in and out is fairly convenient, but then again I am using my friends account so it's not exactly costing me money. Magic online is also cheaper, I don't know if I'd say it's worth paying for though, nothing quite matches the nerdy feel of having a physical collection.

<---still upset at the loss of selling his collection (so long playsets of Demonic Tutor and Damnations [​IMG] )

12. robertorex

hah damnation is pretty damn highly sought now, ohwell. I had my collection peak around invasion block and i had something like 3 playsets of vindicate, spiritmongers, blazing specters, and a bunch of the broken urza block cards (windfall, time spiral, yawgmoth's win)... ah those were the days.

I built a ten dollar deck and am playing online now. It's good I guess because it goes so fast, but it's definitely a different experience. Personally I would pick playing with paper cards over online any day, even if online is more convenient. I don't know, it's just more fun for me when I see who I'm playing with in front of me, even if it's a sweaty nerd or little kid.

The card store near me was still pretty alive when I last went, but I hear of places closing all the time, and according to WOTC Magic Online is now about 30-50% of the magic business. Times a'changin...

13. WhoKnewI

I have a feeling that a lot of poeple who play online still play in person.

14. robertorex

Which is how WOTC makes so much goddamn money. You pretty much have to pay twice if you want to get the most out of your deck - once to build it with paper, and once to build it online. I put together a pretty sick mono-white knights list with paper cards and I am absolutely unmotivated to pay for it again online. I guess it's just a test of creativity at this point, because when you build online, the budget-level decks are REALLY cheap (literally pennies a card) and some of them are kind of playable. Currently running a modified version of this list: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...daily/boab/135 like i said earlier, the whole thing costs about $10 but don't expect it to win you any daily tournaments (that's the other cool thing, you can play a tournament/draft every day if you wanted to but you will cough up a lot of cash REALLY fast). If anyone wants some tips for some cheap decks as well as instructions for buying with MTGO bots and event tickets, PM me.

15. Deluks917

Deluks917 Well-Known Member

I play legacy online if anyone wants to play.

16. robertorex

wat a baller. I'm not sure if I would get into legacy - I love novelty too much and I don't have the patience to go and acquire all my staples and power. I've been reading that star city games has basically been manipulating the market for legacy staples recently and driving up the prices, do you think that's the case?

btw my MTGO name is flathead, I mostly play casual standard

17. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

I've been reading that star city games has basically been manipulating the market for legacy staples recently and driving up the prices, do you think that's the case?

Lol what? Source?

18. robertorex

Lol what? Source?
    I should remove that, that was actually an attempt at a joke that misfired. But prices for Legacy staples have been going up, it's just a higher demand for them I suppose. Here's the article I was referring to that charts where prices have been moving: http://www.mananation.com/bubble-bub...s-and-trouble/ Also there are guys like this
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. For those not as familiar with Magic, he could easily move that pile of cardboard (yellowing edges and all) for around $5000-$7000 (assuming he has about 120 copies)

19. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

I only play booster draft. Anyone draft in Manhattan at Jim Henley?

20. JGloger

JGloger Well-Known Member

I have boxes and boxes of cards sitting in storage (from limited up through whatever came a few years after tempest block). I always enjoyed blue/black or blue/white; I enjoyed the control blue had and how frustrating it was for opponents. It really was a great social game (especially when you could round up 5-6 people) but I have to agree with one of the previous posts that deck building was one of the best parts.

I keep waiting for an excuse to dig all the boxes out. I tried suggesting my girlfriend give it a shot but she wouldn't go for it [​IMG]