1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Magic: The Gathering

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by robertorex, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I didn't play much Magic, but I played the Star Wars CCG pretty competitively in high school.
    Played this as well. One of my favourite cards was Cliegg Lars. You lose one Force just having him on the field. [​IMG]

2. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Played this as well. One of my favourite cards was Cliegg Lars. You lose one Force just having him on the field. [​IMG]
    That must have been from the WotC version...I played the old Decipher version. Like 1996-2001.

3. heyej

heyej Active Member

Located small box worth of cards in my garage a few months ago and had an nostalgic moment right there sifting through the remains of my collection. I was introduced to MTG during the revised stage but got hooked enough to scour hobby stores for alpha, beta and unlimited cards .. probably spent most of my measley high school earnings on them.

Sadly I sold all the rare cards before the advent of Ebay. Seems some of the rarer cards from the earlier sets go for quite a hefty sum these days. [​IMG]

4. suited

suited Senior member

I always enjoyed playing mtg much more than I enjoyed playing video games. I can say it's the only type of fantasy, role playing game, etc I've ever liked (unless you count age of empires). When you're that age, it was fun trading up and building decks. Honestly, I also made a few friends that I still talk to today.

As a joke a few months back, I mailed a piece of linen paper with singed edges, sealed with a drop of candle wax to a friend I hadn't spoken to in almost 10 years. All that was printed on the paper was a quote from juzam djinn "expect my visit when the darkness comes". Apparently he knew who it was right away, we had a good laugh.

5. Lel

Lel Senior member

Sadly I sold all the rare cards before the advent of Ebay. Seems some of the rarer cards from the earlier sets go for quite a hefty sum these days. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Reminds me of a story of a guy who walked into a card shop a long time ago and really needed lands, swamps I believe. Tried to trade away his Black Lotus for about 4-5 of them (this was probably at the very beginning). Anyways after some bargaining, the shop owner eventually traded for the Black Lotus... for about three lands. I believe it's still there in the shop, framed today.

6. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Magic's a very social game because you see who you're in front of and you have to be at least polite and intelligible if you want to keep playing in the future - qualities that people on the internet don't always have. Not sure what the Magic Online community is like.

7. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

[​IMG]

Reminds me of a story of a guy who walked into a card shop a long time ago and really needed lands, swamps I believe. Tried to trade away his Black Lotus for about 4-5 of them (this was probably at the very beginning). Anyways after some bargaining, the shop owner eventually traded for the Black Lotus... for about three lands.

I believe it's still there in the shop, framed today.

dat fucked up.

8. Lel

Lel Senior member

Magic online is terrible. It lags, the system is rather complex if you want to do things in a particular order, and sometimes it just kicks you out of matches just to say FUCK YOU.

9. intent

intent Senior member

[​IMG] Reminds me of a story of a guy who walked into a card shop a long time ago and really needed lands, swamps I believe. Tried to trade away his Black Lotus for about 4-5 of them (this was probably at the very beginning). Anyways after some bargaining, the shop owner eventually traded for the Black Lotus... for about three lands. I believe it's still there in the shop, framed today.
    And yet it is still a piece of paper.

10. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

[​IMG]

I played online... had a white weenie deck (back when they had the asian cards).

Oh, I "borrowed" my friend's account (i swear he claimed he quit!) and I sold all his rare cards. Got about a grand. bought some really nice dress shoes with that money.

do I win?

11. Lel

Lel Senior member

And so are the 2000 bills it's worth. Your point?

12. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

[​IMG]

I played online... had a white weenie deck (back when they had the asian cards).

Oh, I "borrowed" my friend's account (i swear he claimed he quit!) and I sold all his rare cards. Got about a grand. bought some really nice dress shoes with that money.

do I win?

legend.

13. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

The WoW TCG loot cards fetch a pretty penny these days too. Every game is going to have its Spectral Tigers / Black Lotuses / Charizards.

14. Lel

Lel Senior member

I just find it crazy how much the value has risen so quickly. A couple years ago I remember them being worth ~1200, and now they've almost doubled in price. Theres also the fact that, unless the entire game tanks, the value will only continue to go up/it'll never go down.

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Haha, depending on what your definition of "mid 90's" is some of those could be really valuable. Look over it before your kid trades anything and makes you [​IMG]

Oh, I've already put the kabosh on any trades with my cards. Some are worth a bit, up to and around 100$. Problem is I've played with them all so they are not worth what they could be. I have a few fakes as well. I can't help but wonder if they came from a guy I knew that made fakes back in the day. He'd keep them in all their protective packaging and trade them for real cards rather then try and sell them. He made out like a bandit.

16. evilbananas

evilbananas Senior member

I remember the old days when SF didn't have a Magic: The Gathering thread.

17. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

I remember the old days when SF didn't have a Magic: The Gathering thread.

The bad old days.

18. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

In!

Probably still have mine at home. Entirely Revised Edition though, and Teh Dark... Maybe Tagut can drive to my mom's house in CH and see what's still there.

19. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Man I loved this game. my friends and are prolly gonna get drunk one night and have a draft.

I am completely out of the loop. I stopped playing somewhere around the end of junior high school. I had an upheavel deck that pwned.

20. Cotillion

Cotillion Senior member

What is LARPing?

Sorry I did not google before posting.