1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Magee tweed jackets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pjbacfl, May 25, 2005.

1. pjbacfl

pjbacfl Member

Is any one here familiar with the workmanship of Irish tweed jackets made by Magee of Donnagal? Are they fused or canvas construction? What is their reputation? Ebay has a few from time to time. Worth the investment if the prive is reasonable enough (under $50)? Thanks...

2. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

I suppose that everyone can get really, really involved in the fused vs canvased debate to decide wheather to buy a particular jacket.  I don't look at the odd, hairy, rough  Harris, Donegal, or Manx tweed jacket in exactly the same way.

I'm first looking for a very distinctive cloth that I like very much.  Then a "reputable" maker.  The one Magee jacket I have seems to be well done with attention to the details.  The fabric is so heavy and substantial that I don't really think the fusing / canvasing issue about drape, shape, or bubble  will really come into play.  In this case, I'm more concerned that the construction will hold up as long as the fabric will wear.

I've purchased a couple from Bookster1 on Ebay - after finding a recommendation for him on either here on SF or AA.  They know what they are doing and can answer your questions about the fabric and garment quality.  But look closely for plad matches.   All the offerings were not for me.  But watch the listings for a month or so and you will see some fine ones.  Certainly there are fabric styles and jacket styles rarely seen today in the RTW clothing here in the US.  You can be the owner of something rather traditional, distinctive and unique for less than $100, after tailoring.

However, If you are looking for a light weight, fine, smooth tweed, you may have other considerations.  Someone else will have to give their evaluation of magee in relation to that.