magazines

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seanandnik, Oct 24, 2004.

1. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

What are some good magazines out there for Men's Fashion's? I already know of the mainstream ones, GQ, Details, Esquire, Etc. I am in the N.E. united states and would like some names and links for possible subscription. Thanks guys

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Menswear- the mainstream supplement to DNR, comes out quarterly, highly recommended.

Vitals- new magazine, initial issue was decent

DNR- Mens wear trade magazine, not important if you're not in the industry

Take a look at the British GQ, which is better than it's american counterpart.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I do enjoy GQ from time to time, and I have never read Vitals. My favorite fashion magazine is FADER, but it's very urban and rarely do they cover any major designers or anything aside from Helmut Lang... It's mostly about art and music, but the fashion section is very cool, and I suggest you check it out IF you are into that sort of thing.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Has there been a second issue of Vitals? I went looking last night at the local Borders and couldn't find it. I was going down to the Barnes & Noble this evening but discovered my wife had absconded with my car (hers had no gas in it) so didn't go.

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

RENA Homme: My current favorite. The photography can be a little too homo-erotic at times, but artistic quality definitely trumps any of the mainstream American periodicals.

DNR release a biannual issue called menswear that is pretty good.

I also heard the Vogue Homme was supposedly decent, but I've never come across it at my local Barnes or Borders.

6. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Yea, it's good, though it's Italian. Try a Hudson News for it.

BTW, the best magazine stand/shop for fashion periodicals in NYC is on the corner of Spring and Laffyette in SoHo. They have literally everything from all over the world.

7. HeyYouItsMike

HeyYouItsMike Well-Known Member

+1 on Fader. Very cool magazine.

I like GQ, but only for the articles. The fashion stuff is good, but the prices are outrageous on most of the items they feature.

8. hermes

hermes Senior member

i grab just about everything i can get my hands on

in addition to the above, some of the bi-annual mags are pretty decent, from arena homme+, to loaded fashion, to both british and usa versions of fhm fashion and maxim fashion

there is also v man magazine and coming in january will be l'official homme

l'oumo vogue and vogue hommes are both good
    there is a brit mag called 'up street' which is decently done
    british esquire is fairly well done as well

german gq has some biannual supplements called gq style

as for vitals, the next issue of vitals won't be until the spring 2005

9. arvi

arvi Senior member

i find GQ too avant garde for my tastes nowadays and there is far too much advertising( very unattractive clothing) and too little editorial and fashion content. i continue my subscription solely for old times sake [​IMG] for the best in mens fashion magazines i recommend Mondo Uomo and Vogue Italia..even if you can't read italian the photos will make it worth your while

10. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

The best I have seen for my taste is "Dandy," a French quarterly. In second place is "Monsieur," a French monthly. I do not read Italian, so I probably am unaware of great Italian fashion mags.

11. motorider

motorider New Member

I have a quick question, I was at Nordstroms the other day in San Diego, and they had a magazine out in the sitting area, and it was larger than normal, maybe 15" tall by 12" wide, and it talked about all different kinds of things, one thing I noticed was about shoe care. Anyone know a mag like this?

12. funkyprez

funkyprez Well-Known Member

boo to Fader.  They started out great, but have degenerated since.  For downtown/street fashion, Complex does a better job.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I must respectfully disagree. I think the newer Faders are much better than the older mags on all accounts, the writing (and writing focus), the photography, the layout, the editing and the clothing choice.

14. markr

markr Senior member

I was down at Border's the other day and saw a magazine that was titled something generic like "Men's Fashion Magazine." It was a bit oversized but thin (eg, maybe 50 pages). Wasn't real "glossy" (ie, didn't seem like it was put out by one of the big publishing houses) but had some great articles about, eg, suit construction, shoe care, etc. Exactly the sort of thing people on this forum seem interested in. If I get around there again, I'll be sure to get the name.

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Sounds like Menswear.