• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

magazines

seanandnik

Reaction score
What are some good magazines out there for Men's Fashion's? I already know of the mainstream ones, GQ, Details, Esquire, Etc. I am in the N.E. united states and would like some names and links for possible subscription. Thanks guys

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Menswear- the mainstream supplement to DNR, comes out quarterly, highly recommended.

Vitals- new magazine, initial issue was decent

DNR- Mens wear trade magazine, not important if you're not in the industry

Take a look at the British GQ, which is better than it's american counterpart.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I do enjoy GQ from time to time, and I have never read Vitals. My favorite fashion magazine is FADER, but it's very urban and rarely do they cover any major designers or anything aside from Helmut Lang... It's mostly about art and music, but the fashion section is very cool, and I suggest you check it out IF you are into that sort of thing.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there been a second issue of Vitals? I went looking last night at the local Borders and couldn't find it. I was going down to the Barnes & Noble this evening but discovered my wife had absconded with my car (hers had no gas in it) so didn't go.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RENA Homme: My current favorite. The photography can be a little too ****-erotic at times, but artistic quality definitely trumps any of the mainstream American periodicals.

DNR release a biannual issue called menswear that is pretty good.

I also heard the Vogue Homme was supposedly decent, but I've never come across it at my local Barnes or Borders.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also heard the Vogue Homme was supposedly decent, but I've never come across it at my local Barnes or Borders.
Yea, it's good, though it's Italian. Try a Hudson News for it.

BTW, the best magazine stand/shop for fashion periodicals in NYC is on the corner of Spring and Laffyette in SoHo. They have literally everything from all over the world.

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
I do enjoy GQ from time to time, and I have never read Vitals. My favorite fashion magazine is FADER, but it's very urban and rarely do they cover any major designers or anything aside from Helmut Lang... It's mostly about art and music, but the fashion section is very cool, and I suggest you check it out IF you are into that sort of thing.
+1 on Fader. Very cool magazine.

I like GQ, but only for the articles. The fashion stuff is good, but the prices are outrageous on most of the items they feature.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i grab just about everything i can get my hands on

in addition to the above, some of the bi-annual mags are pretty decent, from arena homme+, to loaded fashion, to both british and usa versions of fhm fashion and maxim fashion

there is also v man magazine and coming in january will be l'official homme

l'oumo vogue and vogue hommes are both good
there is a brit mag called 'up street' which is decently done
british esquire is fairly well done as well

german gq has some biannual supplements called gq style

as for vitals, the next issue of vitals won't be until the spring 2005

arvi

Reaction score
i find GQ too avant garde for my tastes nowadays and there is far too much advertising( very unattractive clothing) and too little editorial and fashion content. i continue my subscription solely for old times sake
dozingoff.gif
for the best in mens fashion magazines i recommend Mondo Uomo and Vogue Italia..even if you can't read italian the photos will make it worth your while

brescd01

Reaction score
The best I have seen for my taste is "Dandy," a French quarterly. In second place is "Monsieur," a French monthly. I do not read Italian, so I probably am unaware of great Italian fashion mags.

motorider

Reaction score
I have a quick question, I was at Nordstroms the other day in San Diego, and they had a magazine out in the sitting area, and it was larger than normal, maybe 15" tall by 12" wide, and it talked about all different kinds of things, one thing I noticed was about shoe care. Anyone know a mag like this?

funkyprez

Reaction score
boo to Fader.  They started out great, but have degenerated since.  For downtown/street fashion, Complex does a better job.

Brian SD

Reaction score
boo to Fader. They started out great, but have degenerated since. For downtown/street fashion, Complex does a better job.
I must respectfully disagree. I think the newer Faders are much better than the older mags on all accounts, the writing (and writing focus), the photography, the layout, the editing and the clothing choice.

markr

Reaction score
I was down at Border's the other day and saw a magazine that was titled something generic like "Men's Fashion Magazine." It was a bit oversized but thin (eg, maybe 50 pages). Wasn't real "glossy" (ie, didn't seem like it was put out by one of the big publishing houses) but had some great articles about, eg, suit construction, shoe care, etc. Exactly the sort of thing people on this forum seem interested in. If I get around there again, I'll be sure to get the name.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was down at Border's the other day and saw a magazine that was titled something generic like "Men's Fashion Magazine."  It was a bit oversized but thin (eg, maybe 50 pages).  Wasn't real "glossy" (ie, didn't seem like it was put out by one of the big publishing houses) but had some great articles about, eg, suit construction, shoe care, etc.  Exactly the sort of thing people on this forum seem interested in.  If I get around there again, I'll be sure to get the name.
Sounds like Menswear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads