• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magazines&Publications: which do you buy/subscribe to?

Sartorialist.di.Roma

Reaction score
It that time fo the year for me, when most of my subscripitons are running out and the decisions to renew have to be made, so looking for inspiration and help I turned to the SF archives only to find rather old, and not very inspired or inspiring, threads. Therefore I decided to beging a new thread on the subject, and to start off here is my current list of magazines: Subscribe/purchase regularly:
  • The Rake : should be a rather obvious choice, very much worth keeping and although their international price borders on the fantastic it is a great publication to buy
  • GQ (Brittish edition): along with esquire, a kind of trashy indulgance of mine, prefer the birttish versions of both
  • Esquire (Brittish edition)
  • GQ Style (Brittish and german editions): a good biannual publication on trends and fashion news
  • Vogue Homme International: like the GQ Style and perhaps a little better
  • Collezioni Umomo: a very good resource and reference from the catwalks
  • Wallpaper: a good mix of art, architecture, fashion and general info
  • Harvard Business Review: well not much to say, pretty self explanitory
  • Fire&Knives: an independant cooking publication, highly reccomended
  • Decanter: my prefared wine publication
  • Imbibe: the formost publication on the cocktail
  • Muscle&Fitness (US edition): probably the best on the subject and the US edition far superior in content to the european counterpart
Purchase occasionaly:
  • L'uomo Vougue: sometimes great, sometimes very mediocre
  • Gentelman (Italian magazine): has gone somewhat downhill recently but generally decent, sometimes great, italian mens fashion/lifestyle publication
  • World of Interiors: just interesting sometimes
Am thinking of perhaps adding Men'sEx and Leon to my subscriptions however not being very fluent in reading japanese I am hesitant. As you can see I am somewhat of a magazine addict, and am always on the lookout for interesting publications, so post what you buy/subscribe/reccomend and hopefully inspire others to grab something new. Sartorialist.di.Roma

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get Arena Homme, last one I bought was 10 years ago though. Same goes for Mondo Uomo. I'm not sure they publish these anymore. GQ sucks. I bought one copy of the Rake but wasn't impressed enough. Nice pics, bit crap talk. Checking out SF is good enough at the moment. There's good French mags but I don't know where to get them, I saw many in Paris.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At one time I subscribed to over 70 publications (2004). I really didn't read them all but used much of their visual content for product development and trend research.

Now I subscribe to the following:
The Rake
Monocle (may let it lapse soon if they don't stop having all the answers for all the problems they identify, oh and offer branding services to fix them
smile.gif
)
GQ- US- For $8 why not?(I used to love UK GQ but no longer)
Elle Decoration (France)
Elle Decor (US)
Elle Decoration (UK)
Maison Francaise (France)
Vanity Fair
Men's Ex-love it
Leon
Free & Easy (still have a hard time with that name
laugh.gif
)
Esquire- same as GQ above, for $8??? why not (again, used to love UK Esquire but no more)
Harpers Bazaar-best color and photo essays
Vintage Guitar Magazine

I often buy Casa Abatare and a few other home and design mags.

Don't be impressed by any of this. I still just look at the pictures most of the time.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was bored some time ago and got me an issue of Robb Report, not worth it.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only subscribe to two magazines at present, none fashion/style related - Britain (formerly InBritain) and The Week.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read a lot, especially online, but only subscribe to AutoWeek and MB Enthusiast.

BerryWall

Reaction score
The New York Times, The Economist, The New York Review of Books, The Times Literary Supplement, London review of Books and The New Yorker.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Businessweek and Consumers Report

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not subscribed to a magazine or newspaper in over 6 years. No reason to print articles which have a one-month shelf life on paper. I read all of them on my computer. Books, however, are a different story. I love the real deal and don't "get" e-books.

Twotone

KenRose

Reaction score
I LOVED Arena, I was so disappointed when it went under. Anyways, I read a lot of magazines, but really like British GQ and Esquire; the british Porsche magazines, Evo/Top Gear/Car, Vanity Fair, and Arcitectural Digest/Met Home. For fitness, I prefer t-nation.com to any of the magazines.

Oleg

Reaction score
The Economist at work, download the US edition of GQ on my iphone and that's about it. Very occasionally get Monocle or Wallpaper but they're a feck of price in Australia and I find it hard to justify.
Did get Arena for the first 20 years without fail though more out of habit for the last few of them. Stopped when I moved to Australia a few years before it died (though, in reality, it had died on its arse long before then).
The Aussie men's mags try hard but I can't really be arsed and the selection of clothes is pretty weak.
Wouldn't touch the British GQ with an electric cattle prod - I've developed a really profound loathing of Dylan Jones which is a shame as Arena under his editorship was at its best.

marco_rol

Reaction score
No style mags any longer, just:
Men's Health
Saveur
Nat Geo
Pop Mech
Islands
Grants Interest Rate Observer
(All online through Zinio except Grants)

Grants is the only one I actually purchase though - wife gets the others free. Not sure I'd pay for anything these days - too much excellent content out there for free these days

pitboss12

Reaction score
Rake, Mens-Ex, Man About Town

PS Guy - I you have a hard time with the name Free & Easy, I don't know what you'd do with Men's Fudge which is a Japanese Streetwear/Denim magazine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads