• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maftei Shoes - Vienna - Bespoke, MTO , RTW

marlinspike

Reaction score
Each pair comes with shoe tree, shoe bag and box?
Then the price is unbelievable.

I don't know about the bag and box, but I asked him if it came with trees and he told me of course you have to use them.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the leather?

To be honest these were my first pair of Maftei that I had made. I ordered these in their shop in Vienna a few years ago, I just picked the leather, didn’t ask what it was called. I really wish that I lived in Europe. These guys would be the only shoe makers I would use. Ordering from the States and the language barrier makes it just too difficult, for me anyway. I haven’t tried it in a couple of years, maybe they’ve gotten better at commerce with the U.S.
But aside from that, their craftsmanship is just, off the charts amazing.

marlinspike

Reaction score
To be honest these were my first pair of Maftei that I had made. I ordered these in their shop in Vienna a few years ago, I just picked the leather, didn’t ask what it was called. I really wish that I lived in Europe. These guys would be the only shoe makers I would use. Ordering from the States and the language barrier makes it just too difficult, for me anyway. I haven’t tried it in a couple of years, maybe they’ve gotten better at commerce with the U.S.
But aside from that, their craftsmanship is just, off the charts amazing.

Doesn't he work with some US based professor for American customers who need assistance ordering?
For me, my speaking German was good enough for me to converse with him in the shop.I am a bit slow at writing in German though, and sometimes e-mailed in English. He has someone who speaks English responding to the e-mails.

I also, I'm pretty sure you're wearing what I basically ordered as my first shoe there - his version of the Norweigian split toe in the Horween Russian Grain leather. The only difference is I didn't ask for patina and I asked him to make the welt stitch the same color as the leather.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't he work with some US based professor for American customers who need assistance ordering?
For me, my speaking German was good enough for me to converse with him in the shop.I am a bit slow at writing in German though, and sometimes e-mailed in English. He has someone who speaks English responding to the e-mails.

I also, I'm pretty sure you're wearing what I basically ordered as my first shoe there - his version of the Norweigian split toe in the Horween Russian Grain leather. The only difference is I didn't ask for patina and I asked him to make the welt stitch the same color as the leather.
Yes, I heard about this professor, but I ended up connecting through his daughter via email, who speaks English very well. She arranged a go between to meet me in 2017, the last time I was in Maftei’s shop, that spoke English and was a great translator. But, after ordering my last pairs, there were sizing issues and getting them resized proved too difficult to resolve. Again, if I were in Europe it would be a very simple fix I think. Maybe, I’ll re-try with them at some point when I start to travel abroad more often again.

As for the leather, I own several pairs of boots with Horween hatch grain, and these are definitely not Horween hatch grain. These are a very heavy pebble grain, not sure which tannery though.

marlinspike

Reaction score
My test shoes arrived. I think he did this because not only am I oversees but I have very odd feet (most people in my situation would have a surgery, but I'd rather avoid surgery and have bespoke shoes at the same time). They're missing some of the touches I specified (color matched thread instead of white - how do you ever polish a shoe with white thread without ruining the look?, a red lining, and leather soles - though I'm starting to think maybe these rubber soles are a good idea for this shoe). They do need some changes to the fit - everything behind the tongue is perfect, and the heights are perfect, but there it's narrow in the front and it needs to accommodate my unique surgery-needing foot better), but even with those discomforts they actually feel very good to walk in compared to the best fitting RTW show I ever found (AE 65 in 13 EEE). The eagle eyed will notice I did some color manipulation to the photo. this was to get it as close as possible to reality. When I have the final shoes, I will take pictures in better lighting.

Attachments

• _DSF8700.jpg
    _DSF8700.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 105
  • _DSF8704.jpg
    _DSF8704.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 213
  • _DSF8708.jpg
    _DSF8708.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 208

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My test shoes arrived. I think he did this because not only am I oversees but I have very odd feet (most people in my situation would have a surgery, but I'd rather avoid surgery and have bespoke shoes at the same time). They're missing some of the touches I specified (color matched thread instead of white - how do you ever polish a shoe with white thread without ruining the look?, a red lining, and leather soles - though I'm starting to think maybe these rubber soles are a good idea for this shoe). They do need some changes to the fit - everything behind the tongue is perfect, and the heights are perfect, but there it's narrow in the front and it needs to accommodate my unique surgery-needing foot better), but even with those discomforts they actually feel very good to walk in compared to the best fitting RTW show I ever found (AE 65 in 13 EEE). The eagle eyed will notice I did some color manipulation to the photo. this was to get it as close as possible to reality. When I have the final shoes, I will take pictures in better lighting.

Beautiful leather.

marlinspike

Reaction score
BTW, does anybody know is there a specific name for this style of Norwegian? It looks like the welt construction is also a real Norwegian, so maybe I should stick with the rubber sole on the final shoe. Never thought I would say that, I don't own any rubber soles at the moment other than one pair of tennis shoes.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Herr Maftei made me a good offer on buying multiple shoes, which reminded me I never posted my final pair here. At this point they've been worn a good bit, but they cleaned up nicely.
_DSF9211.jpg

One of the coming pair will be loafers, and to say the least I have odd feet, so....test pair
_DSF9218.jpg

Last edited:

marlinspike

Reaction score
A pair of wingtips in No. 8 Shell. Some creasing and some marks on the soles because I wore them before photographing them (ignore that inside side-crease, I have a deformation of my foot, it's unavoidable if you want the shoe to still look like a shoe). Interesting what he did with the waist to try to accomodate my foot while still looking good (I have a bizarre foot, the widest point is about 1/4" forward of my ankle, and everything from the ankle forward is at least as wide as the ball. Sadly, my employer subsidized insurance won't cover any surgeon I would trust with this).
_DSF9340.jpg
_DSF9342.jpg
_DSF9348.jpg

Last edited:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@marlinspike
Nice. I got a pair of Stingray from him (and I have 3 more to sell), a seamless wholecut, a cordovan split toe and a black oxford.

The Stingray was my holy grail until now.

marlinspike

Reaction score
@marlinspike
Nice. I got a pair of Stingray from him (and I have 3 more to sell), a seamless wholecut, a cordovan split toe and a black oxford.

The Stingray was my holy grail until now.

Is there much market for used bespoke shoes, or are these from the RTW models? I can't imagine I'd ever run into someone who can wear mine (not a lot of 13 6Es out there with a C heel).

The one negative I'll say about these is somewhere there was a breakdown in communication, as I had asked for medallion cap toes, and we even used a model from his instagram as a guide. That said, I do find these rather attractive, so not huge problem. I wonder if I should go back to writing in German, or maybe just a medallion cap toe means something different there.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there much market for used bespoke shoes, or are these from the RTW models? I can't imagine I'd ever run into someone who can wear mine (not a lot of 13 6Es out there with a C heel).

The one negative I'll say about these is somewhere there was a breakdown in communication, as I had asked for medallion cap toes, and we even used a model from his instagram as a guide. That said, I do find these rather attractive, so not huge problem. I wonder if I should go back to writing in German, or maybe just a medallion cap toe means something different there.
It’s from the RTW.

communication is a big issue.When your write English his assistant Anthony translates it and a lot is lost. I don’t know about the medallion. Here’s my pair:
62993CB1-407A-484C-B7C0-F8C78C668853.jpeg

ijustknow

Reaction score
A pair of wingtips in No. 8 Shell. Some creasing and some marks on the soles because I wore them before photographing them (ignore that inside side-crease, I have a deformation of my foot, it's unavoidable if you want the shoe to still look like a shoe). Interesting what he did with the waist to try to accomodate my foot while still looking good (I have a bizarre foot, the widest point is about 1/4" forward of my ankle, and everything from the ankle forward is at least as wide as the ball. Sadly, my employer subsidized insurance won't cover any surgeon I would trust with this). View attachment 1528690 View attachment 1528691 View attachment 1528694
Super Amazing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads