• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maftei Shoes - Vienna - Bespoke, MTO , RTW

bobbers

Reaction score
Nice looking shoes. How is the fit?

At first the shoes were uncomfortably tight. It took five or six wears to get them to loosen a bit before I wear them for a day without discomfort.

One issue I have is wider forefoot/narrow heel. I mentioned this issue to the shop assistant when picking out the design details of the shoes as well as when trying on the sample shoe. Maybe I shouldn't have stressed it too much as the finished product was almost too tight, almost digging into the back of my ankle. But as noted above the issue subsided after a few wears.

--Jonas--

Reaction score
Maftei has a new price list for 2019:
Maftei.jpg

Let me know if you need any translations.

Also, a few pictures of two seamless wholecuts, one in suede, one in calf. I'm selling the calf one, a little too small in the toebox (see the link in my signature).

P1040320.jpg
P1040321.jpg
P1040322.jpg
P1040323.jpg
P1040325.jpg
P1040326.jpg

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know, for example, if I want to use a chisel toe on my next pair instead the round toe my last was made with, do I need to pay the $250 new last fee again?

Last edited:

Mike147

Reaction score
Does anybody know, for example, if I want to use a chisel toe on my next pair instead the round toe my last was made with, do I need to pay the $250 new last fee again?
Really not sure mate. Typically they don’t hit you for an extra charge to change the toe but you should reach out and ask them via email.

arctansusan

Reaction score
What is the pricing for women's ankle boots? What does it mean that it's 20% priced lower?

marlinspike

Reaction score
Maftei has a new price list for 2019:
View attachment 1118372
Let me know if you need any translations.

Also, a few pictures of two seamless wholecuts, one in suede, one in calf. I'm selling the calf one, a little too small in the toebox (see the link in my signature).

Is it too small because your foot changed or did he measure you poorly?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good. How is the fit/comfort?

Took me awhile to answer because I was hoping these would work out. But, alas they did not.

The fit is not good, and as a result they are a total loss. Really disappointed because they are beautiful boots. Maftei will fix them if I bring them back. I’m just not sure when I’ll be in Vienna again to have them fixed. So honestly I shouldn’t say it’s a total loss. It’ll just be a very long while before they can get them fixed, and on my feet again.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I feel like we are seeing a few people noting fit issues. Is this a theme? I have an oddly shaped foot and was hoping to be measured for bespoke while I was in Vienna/Salzburg/Munich in the fall. I thought I had settled on Maftei, but maybe need to look elsewhere?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like we are seeing a few people noting fit issues. Is this a theme? I have an oddly shaped foot and was hoping to be measured for bespoke while I was in Vienna/Salzburg/Munich in the fall. I thought I had settled on Maftei, but maybe need to look elsewhere?

I personally don’t think so. For me I think it’s a question of your access to the maker. With any bespoke fitting it will take many fittings to get your fit right. I’m in the States and only get to Austria every 18 months or so. I’ve had a total of two fittings with him, so I’ve just not gotten the fit dialed in yet. We’re not far, but that means some shoes, like these Chelsea’s due to the shape aren’t wearable. My button boots, Goyserer and NST on the other hand he was able to make adjustments to them on my last visit. So, the fit is very good; but I had other commitments, so didn’t have time to get fitted for a new last. So, it’s not practical in my situation, to get more shoes until my last is corrected. If I lived only a few hours train ride away, or in Austria, Maftei would no question get my business.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I too am stateside, but as I am not a guy whose budget would normally call for bespoke, but a guy whose alternative would be surgery. I wonder if he could send shoes to the US and make adjustments after walking a couple of miles to create a wear pattern and giving him notes.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too am stateside, but as I am not a guy whose budget would normally call for bespoke, but a guy whose alternative would be surgery. I wonder if he could send shoes to the US and make adjustments after walking a couple of miles to create a wear pattern and giving him notes.

YMMV; the distance proved too great a barrier for me to overcome. Contact them and explore the possibilities; things could work out for you. I’d say the fact that they are such an affordable bespoke makes it worth giving it a try.

marlinspike

Reaction score
YMMV; the distance proved too great a barrier for me to overcome. Contact them and explore the possibilities; things could work out for you. I’d say the fact that they are such an affordable bespoke makes it worth giving it a try.

Since they are similar prices in the same town, what made you choose Maftei over Materna?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since they are similar prices in the same town, what made you choose Maftei over Materna?

That’s kinda like asking me why I prefer Porsche over Mercedes, or a Nissan GTR. Their aesthetic appealed to me, it’s just a matter of preference for me.

Tetsuya

Reaction score
On 25 June, 2019, I visited Maftei, and gained a pair of square toe-Norwegian... I did not have enough time to place an order, so, I purchased a bespoke sample at 700 Euro. Note that this shop does not accept cc, you have to pay by cash. Although Mr. Maftei did not speak English, we communicated by writing. In the next time, I will place an order at shop or trunk show somewhere (in Korea or Japan).

Attachments

• 20190625_182516.jpg
    20190625_182516.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190625_182526.jpg
    20190625_182526.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190625_182551.jpg
    20190625_182551.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190625_134831.jpg
    20190625_134831.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20190625_134834.jpg
    20190625_134834.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 165

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads