• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Maftei Shoes - Vienna - Bespoke, MTO , RTW

marlinspike

Reaction score
Each pair comes with shoe tree, shoe bag and box?
Then the price is unbelievable.
I don't know about the bag and box, but I asked him if it came with trees and he told me of course you have to use them.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the leather?
To be honest these were my first pair of Maftei that I had made. I ordered these in their shop in Vienna a few years ago, I just picked the leather, didn’t ask what it was called. I really wish that I lived in Europe. These guys would be the only shoe makers I would use. Ordering from the States and the language barrier makes it just too difficult, for me anyway. I haven’t tried it in a couple of years, maybe they’ve gotten better at commerce with the U.S.
But aside from that, their craftsmanship is just, off the charts amazing.

marlinspike

Reaction score
To be honest these were my first pair of Maftei that I had made. I ordered these in their shop in Vienna a few years ago, I just picked the leather, didn’t ask what it was called. I really wish that I lived in Europe. These guys would be the only shoe makers I would use. Ordering from the States and the language barrier makes it just too difficult, for me anyway. I haven’t tried it in a couple of years, maybe they’ve gotten better at commerce with the U.S.
But aside from that, their craftsmanship is just, off the charts amazing.

Doesn't he work with some US based professor for American customers who need assistance ordering?
For me, my speaking German was good enough for me to converse with him in the shop.I am a bit slow at writing in German though, and sometimes e-mailed in English. He has someone who speaks English responding to the e-mails.

I also, I'm pretty sure you're wearing what I basically ordered as my first shoe there - his version of the Norweigian split toe in the Horween Russian Grain leather. The only difference is I didn't ask for patina and I asked him to make the welt stitch the same color as the leather.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't he work with some US based professor for American customers who need assistance ordering?
For me, my speaking German was good enough for me to converse with him in the shop.I am a bit slow at writing in German though, and sometimes e-mailed in English. He has someone who speaks English responding to the e-mails.

I also, I'm pretty sure you're wearing what I basically ordered as my first shoe there - his version of the Norweigian split toe in the Horween Russian Grain leather. The only difference is I didn't ask for patina and I asked him to make the welt stitch the same color as the leather.
Yes, I heard about this professor, but I ended up connecting through his daughter via email, who speaks English very well. She arranged a go between to meet me in 2017, the last time I was in Maftei’s shop, that spoke English and was a great translator. But, after ordering my last pairs, there were sizing issues and getting them resized proved too difficult to resolve. Again, if I were in Europe it would be a very simple fix I think. Maybe, I’ll re-try with them at some point when I start to travel abroad more often again.

As for the leather, I own several pairs of boots with Horween hatch grain, and these are definitely not Horween hatch grain. These are a very heavy pebble grain, not sure which tannery though.

marlinspike

Reaction score
My test shoes arrived. I think he did this because not only am I oversees but I have very odd feet (most people in my situation would have a surgery, but I'd rather avoid surgery and have bespoke shoes at the same time). They're missing some of the touches I specified (color matched thread instead of white - how do you ever polish a shoe with white thread without ruining the look?, a red lining, and leather soles - though I'm starting to think maybe these rubber soles are a good idea for this shoe). They do need some changes to the fit - everything behind the tongue is perfect, and the heights are perfect, but there it's narrow in the front and it needs to accommodate my unique surgery-needing foot better), but even with those discomforts they actually feel very good to walk in compared to the best fitting RTW show I ever found (AE 65 in 13 EEE). The eagle eyed will notice I did some color manipulation to the photo. this was to get it as close as possible to reality. When I have the final shoes, I will take pictures in better lighting.

Attachments

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My test shoes arrived. I think he did this because not only am I oversees but I have very odd feet (most people in my situation would have a surgery, but I'd rather avoid surgery and have bespoke shoes at the same time). They're missing some of the touches I specified (color matched thread instead of white - how do you ever polish a shoe with white thread without ruining the look?, a red lining, and leather soles - though I'm starting to think maybe these rubber soles are a good idea for this shoe). They do need some changes to the fit - everything behind the tongue is perfect, and the heights are perfect, but there it's narrow in the front and it needs to accommodate my unique surgery-needing foot better), but even with those discomforts they actually feel very good to walk in compared to the best fitting RTW show I ever found (AE 65 in 13 EEE). The eagle eyed will notice I did some color manipulation to the photo. this was to get it as close as possible to reality. When I have the final shoes, I will take pictures in better lighting.
Beautiful leather.

marlinspike

Reaction score
BTW, does anybody know is there a specific name for this style of Norwegian? It looks like the welt construction is also a real Norwegian, so maybe I should stick with the rubber sole on the final shoe. Never thought I would say that, I don't own any rubber soles at the moment other than one pair of tennis shoes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.