Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Dec 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

What about using Duret/Paris while you are next time in Euroland?
    Will be same level as Hermes, except that they dont do the "we cant discuss this at the moment" joke.
    They're also very helpful via mail and do mail orders on some items.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

If you have to do that, why would you even want to patronize them? Put on a show of wealth in order to get service? Is it that important?

Mike

+1, but most "high-end" retail shops seem to be run this way. It's a shame you've ruled out April in Paris, she's very nice and very skillful.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

If you have to do that, why would you even want to patronize them? Put on a show of wealth in order to get service? Is it that important? Mike
    I'm not making any judgments, just observations. I agree with you that that is why they get this kind of reputation on this forum. But keep in mind that their target market is people who dress like that ("show of wealth") all the time, not necessarily your "average" SF'ers

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Reminds me of the time I visited the Hermes store here and asked them how much the ties were only to be told over and over again, "very expensive." I am a complainer by nature so I have no idea why I didn't go ballistic then and there. Something must have been wrong with me that day.

Seriously, just call the manager.

The people at the Waikiki Hermes have been strangely obsequious the few times we've been there. I don't think my wife has bought anything there beyond a couple bracelets and some perfume. I bought a tie once and the SA kept pulling out different ones for me to look at. We're more used to the "mistaken for locals and ignored" treatment on Waikiki.

5. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

+1, but most "high-end" retail shops seem to be run this way. It's a shame you've ruled out April in Paris, she's very nice and very skillful.

I've at least browsed what passes for "high end' in Toronto, and there's a staggering range of service. I don't know how much of it is store to store, and how much is SA to SA. Perhaps it depends if they are commission based.

The stores I got the best service in seemed both commission based and to have long time SAs. I generally get a vibe from them of 'you're a small timer today but you're young, you'll be back next year for more, etc.' They want to give you their card, build a long time relationship with you.

The worst service are from elegant young women who are paid to look stylish and bored.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

+1, but most "high-end" retail shops seem to be run this way.
    I'd disagree with this. Most are pretty reasonable. At the very least, Hermes is on the far extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to this sort of exclusivity approach to being able to play in their sandpit. It's the lux version of the Disney vault. [​IMG]

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

You could try the Andover Shop.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I think the issue is that they wont do a custom one off wallet. Not at a 2k clip. Not for a walk in the store client. Not happening unless you KNOW someone or are a playa!

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I've gotten really great service at the northern Virginia Hermes, as well as the main Madison Avenue shop on other occasions. I don't think there is some conspiracy to weed out worthy customers for special orders--this particular sales associate just didn't know how to handle this sort of thing. I don't think there was any ill will. She seemed eager to please and was very patient.

10. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I didn't realize this type of item was so exclusive. Now I want one.

11. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

The people at the Waikiki Hermes have been strangely obsequious the few times we've been there. I don't think my wife has bought anything there beyond a couple bracelets and some perfume. I bought a tie once and the SA kept pulling out different ones for me to look at. We're more used to the "mistaken for locals and ignored" treatment on Waikiki.
    I think they're pretty good there actually. It's just this one jackass guy there. He's a real douche. There's this one guy who actually hand delivers customers to us and even helps sell stuff for us. [​IMG] The last time he sold a Globetrotter suitcase for us to his VIP customer ha ha!

12. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

I didn't realize this type of item was so exclusive. Now I want one.

Group buy opportunity.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Foo,

You should return to the SA who you worked with last, he'll remember you as a buyer and take your order seriously.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do I hear Tubular Belts playing in the background?

Bells, I mean.

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Thankfully, Foo has had better luck with other wallet purchases...

Here he is protecting his Esquire grand prize from falling into the evil hands of one M. Rubinacci...

[​IMG]

Wallet is actual size