1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mafoo in NY Daily News!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack11211, Aug 18, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that Penn was the last school to go this model about a year ago.

Penn was last? Typical [​IMG].

2. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Wait...we get to see Foo on TV? Who's organizing the viewing party?

3. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

This essentially matches my understanding. The one exception is your final statement. I believe that all Ivies now offer grants exclusively. In other words, financial aid, while syill need-based, is never repaid. I think that Penn was the last school to go this model about a year ago.

The Ivy's are using a family income model, for example, if your family income is less than $60K, then you will not be required to borrow money as part of your financial aid package. You will receive a combination of other aid which might include grants or work-study. The family income amount varies by school. And, depending upon income, families may still have a family contribution.

As for athletic scholarships, the Ivy's do not have athletic scholarships. But, if you are a difference maker athlete, such as a hockey player at Cornell, and you can get in on the academic merits, the school will find a way to make it affordable.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

typical of your username to talk about cornell hockey players.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I can't believe Esquire couldn't even get a half decent store to pick up the prize. I'd rather have $1,000 at Saks than $10,000 from Kenneth Cole.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Behold the power of Lynah.

7. bafield

bafield Senior member

Dan sounds like an ass. I hope Foo wins.

Agreed, he sounds like a douche!

8. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

I have some vague familiarity with the scene.

9. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Prepare to be bombarded with friend requests on facebook.

Make sure to read the comments to the article [​IMG]

10. intent

intent Senior member

I can't believe Esquire couldn't even get a half decent store to pick up the prize. I'd rather have $1,000 at Saks than $10,000 from Kenneth Cole.
    I wonder what the other $20 000 of the $30 000 prize consists of? There's no way fashion week seats cost that much, right?

I'd love to add Mafoofan on Facebook now, but am too shy. I'll stick to being a SF fan. [​IMG]

11. kev777

kev777 Senior member

I wonder what the other $20 000 of the $30 000 prize consists of? (

1st Prize $10,000 Kenneth Cole
    2nd Prize $20,000 Kenneth Cole

12. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

People might be taking this too literally, he may have received the financial aid based on hardship and prefers to think of it as a basketball scholarship because he feels self conscious about his background. Let's be charitable.
    I wasn't responding about the contestant. I haven't even read the Daily News article. I was responding to the poster who said:
    They offer sports scholarships all the time. I know people who have gotten full rides to schools like Princeton, Colgate, etc...

13. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Senior member

What'll be really fun is when you have to pay taxes on the "value" of the Kenneth Cole prize. :p

I think this is the funniest observation of the bunch. Foo - you're going to have to pay income tax on this shit. Should you persevere over Dan "basketball scholarship at Columbia" T, this contest is going to COST you money.

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

I know there was the famous Matuozzo visit, but I thought foof got his shirts from BB? [​IMG]

"All my tailors are in Naples, Italy". [​IMG] Sig-worthy?

15. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

I think this is the funniest observation of the bunch. Foo - you're going to have to pay income tax on this shit. Should you persevere over Dan "basketball scholarship at Columbia" T, this contest is going to COST you money.

You can decline the prize and not pay income tax on it. Just accept all your payment in glory.

16. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

He should just trade in the $20,000 or whatever in Kenneth Cole in to them for $15,000 back. Just give them a premium and they would probably accept the deal.

17. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

The comments on the second page of that story made me lol, I mean, Clark Kent glasses?

18. hws

hws Senior member

Do Esquire know how close they make the name for this contest(BDRM) to BDSM? Maybe intentional for fun like Metallica S&M album?

19. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Hm. Interesting. This might be good advice for beginners on styleforum [​IMG]

20. Toad

Toad Senior member

Looking fabulous as always.