• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madrid recommendations

ville_e

Reaction score
I'll be visiting Madrid soon and I would very much appreciate to hear your recommendations in terms of shops, restaurants and sights. I have read through previous threads on the forum but would greatly appreciate hearing some updated recommendations!

Shops:

Man 1924
Just One
Scalpers (Rafael Medina's brand?)
Carmina
Loewe

Any other stores worth visiting? I'm especially looking for local products such as Carmina shoes or Loewe leather goods.

Sights:
Prado Museum
Museum Sorolla?
Thyssen-Bornemisza

Restaurants:

? (Looking for local food/good local jamon & tapas)

Thanks in advance!!

ville_e

Reaction score
I just saw the Meermin thread and will be sure to visit them as well.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there mid-March. I bought a few shoes (Santoni), and clothes on sale from El Corte Ingles in Serano (the others El Corte in Madrid are less interesting).
There are 2 Carmina shops nearby, also Meermin (I was not impressed with the quality). Bought also some Lottusse shoes, nothing special but good prices, there are a few shops in Madrid.
If you do not have much time, concentrate on the Salamanca/Serrano district, plenty of good shops, international and local brands.
In Chueca (calle de Fuencarral) you will find many outlet shoe shops, prices around 100 euros, Spanish shoes with dubious English names and quality. Chueca has a similar vibe to Marais in Paris.
There's a very small thrift shop close too Meermin, Il Grifone (calle de Lagasca 62) where you might find Italian brands like Cucinelli, Zegna. When I was there there was not much.

There are many good places to eat. In Salamanca, if you want to stop for some modern tapas in a comfortable place, check Estay (calle de Hermossila 46). For a more traditional place, see Casa Alberto, calle de la Huertas 18 (close to plaza Mayor)
I was in Madrid only for a few days and did not have much time to check all the shops. Definitely interesting to spend one or two mornings doing this.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loewe as you know it's expensive. If you can afford it, you should check them.
When I was in Barcelona last year I bought a Loewe jacket on sale from an outlet multibrand 'shopping village' outside of the city. There's a similar one (like the one near Paris and Bicester in UK) near Madrid, Las Rozas Village, where you might find good deals on Zegna, Loewe, etc. Not sure it's worth the trip.

ville_e

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies.

I totally forgot about Burgos. Do they also have RTW shirt offerings? I will also be sure to visit the Reina Sofia.

I would love to hear more recommendations! Thanks again for all the replies. They are much appreciated.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited in March and along with some of the previous recommendations, I enjoyed a store called Anglomania in Salamanca. They had lbm blazers, pt01 pants, drakes for private label ties, etc. nice edited collection, but also have an outlet section in the back of the store. Enjoy!

http://www.anglomania.es/english

pinchi22

Reaction score
Agree with most of what has been said for shopping. Just to add a few things:

- John Lobb (on Nuñez de Balboa).
- Just One recently opened an outlet (Valázquez around Jorge Juan).
- Massimo Dutti (throughout city) for moderately-priced casual shirts, sportcoats, etc.
- Boggi (Velázquez) for Brooks Brothers, Italian-style.

Estay is one of my favorite tapas joints.

There´s a good Chagall exhibition at the Thyssen.

Last edited:

Deedee

Reaction score
I would also suggest checking out Lander Urquijo. They always post really nice stuff on their Tumblr. (c/ Serrano, no 120, Madrid)

Ricini

Reaction score
I would add Carlos Castillo's other shop. It is much less trendy than Man 1924. It is called Denis and is just off of Serrano. They carry Drake's, Simonnot-Godard, Alden, though I can't say who makes their clothes (mostly unstructured jackets).

Just around the corner on Serrano itself is Best, which is partially owned by Jaime Gallo, who most tailors here say is the best in town and whose workshop is not too far away. The wares there can be a bit on the dowdy side, but you will find at least a few Drakes ties for 40% off retail.

Of the three Carmina shops, the one on Serrano is a little envelope of a shop but worth checking out. The other two, one a block away from Serrano on Coello and the other on Gran Via are larger and staffed with people who have passable English (the Gran Via shop less so than Coello).

As for Scalpers, I don't know what to say except beware any place that washes its shop in cheap cologne.

I would definitely check out the Chagall exhibit, and of course spend at least an hour at the Prado, even if just to sit with Goya's late work.

Though it is approaching summer, make sure to have Cocido when in Madrid, especially if you've never had it; there are several traditional joints, but I can't seem to think of one right now.

Also consider day-tripping to Segovia, where they will roast you a piglet small enough to fit on a plate feet to snout.

Burgos is a very good shop, and though they do have some RTW shirts, they are known for their bespoke service, which is excellent (I started using them when I moved here), but unless you are in town fifteen or sixteen days so they can see the shirt on you, I wouldn't have one made while here. That is to say, it can be a bit of work getting fit right with them, though the craftsmanship is quite special.

A few last opinions: the shoe outlets in Chueca, i'm sorry to say, are not very good; Loewe is terribly overpriced and, forgive me, riding on the history of its name; and both times I've been in Meermin i've noticed more than a few seconds on display as firsts. I don't believe the occurrences accidents, they just seam poorly made.

Last edited:

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few last opinions: the shoe outlets in Chueca, i'm sorry to say, are not very good. Loewe is terribly overpriced and, forgive me, riding on the history of its name.  Both times I've been in Meermin i've noticed more than a few seconds on display as firsts. I don't believe the occurrences accidents; they just seam poorly made.

I agree with this. I do not understand the forum hype with Meermin. I only spent 10 minutes in their brand new shop and I was the only customer. I was only a bit more impressed seeing the than seeing Bexley shoes in Paris. :dozingoff:
The finishing on the Meermin shoes was really poor, but that's what can you expect for a pair of good year welted shoes at 150 euros.

vinveritas

Reaction score
There's a sale at Carmina's Gran Via up to 50% off until the end of April I think. Bought 3 pairs, but on hindsight should have bought at least 2 more. Check out the other Carmina stores as well. Try the Mercado San Miguel (near Plaza Real) for early lunch (it gets terribly crowded at lunchtime) and Sta Gines Cholateria for breakfast (chocolate con churros). Lots of tapas places. Had the degustacion tapas at Lateral near Puerto del Sol, and there's Jamon Iberico Bellota raciones at any of the Museo de Jamon branches.

ville_e

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the Carmina tip. Is the 50% off at all their stores or just the Gran Via one?

Thanks everyone for all the great recommendations!

pinchi22

Reaction score

There's a sale at Carmina's Gran Via up to 50% off until the end of April I think. Bought 3 pairs, but on hindsight should have bought at least 2 more. Check out the other Carmina stores as well.

That´s a great deal. The Gran Via store tends to discount a wider variety than at the other 2 locations, but even so the sales I´ve seen have been only 10-20% off. And I´ve only seen sales during the official summer or winter sales period, which isn´t going on right now.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads