• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madrid: really as much petty crime as they claim?

summej2

Reaction score
I'll be heading out for Madrid on business in a few weeks, but will also be taking a few days in between meetings for vacation. The thing is, I've been hearing tons of reports about pickpocketing and the like. I've traveled in Italy (including Siciliy) to some extent (though away from tourist spots due to the nature of the trips), and never have had a problem, but some of the things I hear about Madrid and Sevilla make it sound ridiculous. Thoughts?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
I'll be heading out for Madrid on business in a few weeks, but will also be taking a few days in between meetings for vacation. The thing is, I've been hearing tons of reports about pickpocketing and the like. I've traveled in Italy (including Siciliy) to some extent (though away from tourist spots due to the nature of the trips), and never have had a problem, but some of the things I hear about Madrid and Sevilla make it sound ridiculous. Thoughts?

It's been a while since i've been to spain. I never had problems, but it's something you hear about. Whenever you're travelling to an unfamiliar country you should keep in mind that there will always be people looking to take advantage of you, especially if you don't speak the language. It's best to develop situational awareness. Know what's going on around you.

We were robbed by gypsies in france. Basically, if someone is taking too much interest in you, be suspicious and take a look around. In our case a kid tried to befriend my little brother (who was probably 13 at the time). All he was really doing was scoping out the contents of our rental. When we came back, everything of value was gone.

I've frequently heard of people being swarmed and having their possessions taken from them like that too. They almost always work in groups afaik and misdirection plays a big role. One person will distract while the other(s) steal(s).

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It They almost always work in groups afaik and misdirection plays a big role. One person will distract while the other(s) steal(s).

What happened to me was that they tried to take my dad's fanny pack. One dude distracted him by brushing him with a cigarette from behind while the other tried to take the bag off of him. They must have not realized that I was with him. I hit the guy in the front with a glancing blow to the jaw. When it was over my dad had the bag in his hand. They had taken it completely off.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt pretty safe in Madrid. I hear the most horror stories from Barcelona, including my own experience where I got jumped by 6 Moroccans and they choked me til I pretended to pass out. Especially don't head out to any beaches there at night.

They do another trick in Spain where they pretend to shake your hand and then do some stupid **** where they say "futbol! futbol!" and move their leg up and down while grabbing on to you and trying to get their hand in your pocket at the same time. Don't shake anyone's hand who looks mildly shady.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Travel the globe and be aware of your surroundings and the fact that you're no longer in Downtown Wherever. Try to look as if you belong and look confident, look people in the eye and brush off unnatural friendliness. Major European cites aren't downtown Kabul or Basra; just keep your wits about you and try to enjoy the differences from wherever you come from.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think Madrid is too bad in terms of pickpocketing/petty crime, and Seville certainly isn't. Follow Bratalian's advice and you should be OK. I think the most aggravating thing is when people come to beg at outdoor tables: some of them are really begging, others are trying to distract you while something gets stolen, and all of them are annoying. I've learned to overcome my natural friendliness and have started just saying "no, gracias" in a clear, loud voice as soon as anyone comes too close to me or my gf.

Also be aware of the women who press flowers or herbs into your hand and then expect payment.

Barcelona, btw, is much worse. I no longer recommend Barcelona to people, as I don't know anyone who has visited for more than a weekend who HASN'T gotten mugged/picked/etc.

summej2

Reaction score
Thanks all. This was what I hoped to hear. I've occasionaly heard the same things about major cities in Sicily, only to find that the people telling the stories didn't seem to know when to tell the potential theives (often gangs of children) to "va via," which usually works just fine for me. I'll stick to my usual routine, and keep watch for the local set-ups.

pinchi22

Reaction score
I´ve lived in Spain for over a decade, and I´ve never had a problem. There is far less violent crime than in any major U.S. city.

That said, there are pickpockets (stereotypically Romanian) in touristy areas, so I´d recommend the same precaution as in any tourist destination: a traveller wallet/money belt.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
I´ve lived in Spain for over a decade, and I´ve never had a problem. There is far less violent crime than in any major U.S. city.

That said, there are pickpockets (stereotypically Romanian) in touristy areas, so I´d recommend the same precaution as in any tourist destination: a traveller wallet/money belt.

Money belts don't really work. When I got jumped they were looking for it. If you wear pants that fit and put it in your front pocket, you'll definitely notice anyone going down your front pocket, unless you're cheeky like that.

CBDB

Reaction score
Barcelona is awesome...I've been about a half dozen times and friends and colleagues have been rolled/picked each time.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been to both Madrid and Barcelona, as well as throughout other parts of Spain and to France and Italy. Only place I had any problem was with a family of gypsies near the train station in Milan. Never had a problem in Spain or France.

While there is no fool proof method of avoiding being the victim of a street crime, tactical or situational awareness helps considerably. All too often people become the victim because they are completely oblivious to their surroundings until the problem is upon them. I also avoid getting plastered if I am going to be walking.

I also recommend not looking like a well-off American tourist -- avoid the fanny pack, the expensive dangling cameras, the loud American demeanor, the maps and guide books clutched in hand, etc. The more you look as if you belong, the more likely it is that a petty criminal will look for a more desirable target.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. I never had a problem in Madrid, Barcelona, Alicante, or Granada. A friend was in Barcelona last year for her birthday and had her wallet, passport picked before she got to her hotel. But, that probably had as much to do with her screaming "tourist" with a backpack and a map as anything.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been all over EU Eastern and Western as well as some pretty poor 3-rd world countries and never was a victim of any crime.
Petty criminals are natural psychologists, so if you are getting mugged in Madrid Moscow or NYC you might want to revise your look. There is a chance that those spectator shoes and fedora might do you disservice.

gvibes

Reaction score
Been to Barcelona, Madrid, and Granada. I saw someone get their bag jacked near Las Ramblas (or whatever it's called) in Barcelona. Simple snatch and run. Madrid, I generally felt quite safe. Granada, there were some sketchy looking gypsy-types hanging around, making me feel generally uncomfortable, but they didn't seem to do anything.

I did end up getting mugged pretty good in Brussels. My face was in pretty bad shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads