1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Madova Gloves in Florence

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Mar 27, 2013.

1. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

bespoke merola

2. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Back from the honeymoon, and picked up some gloves in Florence after all. I went over to the Madova store and found it closed for the day. I looked in the window and saw that Madova had some "peccary" gloves for 95 Euros (I'm pretty sure). These gloves, in fact, were carpincho (which I have been able to differentiate from peccary due to this thread). I was a little dismayed that they were incorrectly labeling skins. I mean this is a glove shop; I expected more.

I checked back here on the forums and saw Pusateri had provided a few users with some gloves they were happy with. I went the next day to Pusateri and asked for some unlined peccary gloves to try on and was handed a pair of carpincho. After saying, "this is carpincho; I want to try on peccary," I was shown exactly what I wanted in black, dark brown, mid brown, and tan.

The sales woman explained that both skins are considered "peccary" to them. (I guess this is something to be aware of as I first thought Madova was being misleading.) Become familiar with the difference between both skins on this thread and you'll know what you're being presented with on first sight.

I'm admittedly a glove rookie, but the gloves look and feel great. I think I somewhat understand the desire for having peccary unlined. Also, I touched my forehead with the gloves on and the oil from my skin instantly darkened the gloves. I can't wait to see what they look like after years of wearing and absorbing oils. I'll post a picture in a bit....

3. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

5. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

I've been in Florence the last few days and have visited most of the glove retailers mentioned here. Martelli and Madova both had limited carpincho options in my size, 8.5. Madova didn't have any peccary gloves in my size at all. I ended up purchasing a pair of unlined red carpincho gloves at EFG Guandi on Via della Spada. They were well stocked with both carpincho and peccary options in navy, grey, red, olive green, natural, black, and two shades of brown. I found that their gloves were a better fit for me, as the thumb was slightly longer than those I had tried on elsewhere. The sales assistant was extremely knowledgeable and spoke good English, and was much less pushy than the staff in the more popular shops, even suggesting that I take some time away from the shop to think about which colour and style to go for. The workmanship and leather quality both seem to be excellent. Prices for those interested:

Unlined carpincho: 128 eur
    Unlined peccary: 160 eur
    Cashmere lined peccary: 175 eur

6. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Did any of the stores have croc/alligator gloves?

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

photos of what you got?

8. Vodking

I didn't see any croc or alligator gloves but I wasn't seeking them out.

Will post photos when I'm back in the UK

9. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Thank you for sharing, UBR!

10. Vodking

Dark red unlined carpincho gloves from EFG Guanti. They're certainly statement gloves - I'm really pleased with them.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

How would an unlined calf suede glove feel? Wouldn't the inner lining be smooth leather and thus kind of clammy and rubbery?
    I've only ever worn gloves with the suede nap on the inside, so I'm having trouble imagining the reverse being comfortable.

12. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

I wear Size 8.5 in Merola gloves lined in cashmere, I was thinking of getting a pair of unlined gloves and was wondering if I needed to size down to make up for the fact that they are not lined. I know usually this would not be the case, but Merola can be unpredictable. So hopefully, if someone has insight into this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jay

13. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

^Anyone know? Your help is much appreciated? Would hate to go through the return process.

14. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

If your question is in regard to Madova in particular I would not size down, the difference between 8.5 lined and 8 unlined is too drastic. I have both in 8.5. I also have a new pair in unlined calf 8.5 to sell if you are interested.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

visited madova yesterday. they will no longer be selling peccary gloves anymore, and have only one pair left in size 8.5

plenty of carpincho in brown and black

16. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Just an update. I was in Florence this week and made a point to get some new gloves (my last visit was 6 or so years ago and I could use a new pair).

I can confirm that, unfortunately, neither Madova nor Martelli offer real peccary any more, only carpincho. Martelli may have it in your size if you ask repeatedly "no, the other peccary," but they indicated they don't stock it any more. They had none in my size (8.5). Pusateri, however, did have peccary, and a very good selection.

Two things to note: first, these are handmade goods and as a result, size variation is significant, so try several pairs for the best fit. Second, while as noted in the original post, hand stitching is thicker thread and may be less durable than machine stitching, it has the advantage of being repairable if the stitching opens. Thus, the gloves should last longer if well-cared for.

So, Pusateri it is. I picked up a lovely brown pair of unlined peccary, but I also bucked the absurd "consensus" and opted for a second pair of brown peccary with cashmere lining. Yes, peccary is fantastic unlined, but it is also just fantastic generally, and I need a pair of lined gloves for cold winter days. Why not get the good stuff for those days too?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Please post pics! I bought Pusateris when I went out there for my honeymoon and don't get to wear them that often living in San Francisco.....

18. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Can't really see much but here they are. Unlined on the left.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Peccary gloves are becoming increasingly rare for some reason.