• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

made-to-measure ties

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
where can i have tie made to measure and how much can i expect to pay more them. FYI, i have a 18.25" neck and when i tie a windsor with a standard 58-60" tie, the blade ends up somewhere near my sternum. i basically want a Tom Ford style tie( very thick, wide, bold patterns) but longer. i think 72" my be the right length to get a good, arrogant windsor knot around a thick neck while still being able both ends of the tie to me my waist band at the completion. please help. thank you. p.s. let me know if i can get bow ties done too.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
John Kochis

212) 244-6046
237 West 35th Street
Suite 702
New York NY 10001

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Like, 6 months wait. Or more. But yes, well worth it.

I'll have to try this sometime.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
where can i have tie made to measure and how much can i expect to pay more them. FYI, i have a 18.25" neck and when i tie a windsor with a standard 58-60" tie, the blade ends up somewhere near my sternum. i basically want a Tom Ford style tie( very thick, wide, bold patterns) but longer. i think 72" my be the right length to get a good, arrogant Windsor knot around a thick neck while still being able both ends of the tie to me my waist band at the completion. please help. thank you. p.s. let me know if i can get bow ties done too.
Jasonmarshalljazz, A quick glance at your post and I wonder if you really need closer to 67"? A standard American bought tie will typically be 57" - think Brooks Brothers, Lands End and various East coast tie labels. If we add a rough number of 7" to your belt (hard to say exactly from your post) and a few inches for your knot with a thick silk. we get 67". If your tie that you are using as a baseline is actually 59" then we come up with 69". Lets say 4" for the width although that is strictly a matter of personal preference. You mention a thick tie so a 350 warp English silk would probably work well for you as well as an Atkinsons Irish poplin. To fine-tune the length you may find number 6 in this link helpful: http://www.samhober.com/customties/c...detieguide.htm There is a difference between made-to-measure ties and custom made/bespoke ties. With a MTM tie you will typically be able to choose from a collection of silks with a limited number lengths and widths. With a custom made tie you will be able to choose from a large selection of silks and any construction: 3,4, 5, 6 or 7-fold lined or unlined. You will be able to talk to your tie maker about the type of interlining, the shape of your tie and so on. A heavy English silk in a standard 3-fold construction 69 x 4" is roughly $100. Although if you go to Charvet, Marinella etc it could be perhaps double? To give you an idea of price ranges for different constructions and fabrics: http://www.samhober.com/ties/customnecktieprices.htm At the moment we have a very long back-log of orders so we are only able to help you if you have patience. If you decide that you would like Atkinsons Irish poplin you will have to wait as we are the only custom/bespoke maker of Atkinsons Irish poplin in the world. John Kochis in New York may be able to help you quickly although I am not sure what choices he offers in terms of construction and silks. Drakes seem to offer only MTM on their "bespoke" website page but if you cal them directly they may offer a true bespoke. Turnbull & Asser, Charvet and Marinella can make you a beautiful custom/bespoke tie and probably quickly. Charvet does very nice bowties. Tiecrafters can do many things and are friendly but not really focused on making luxury ties. Mark Christopher in NYC. has a focus on shirts I am not sure what type of ties they make. I would suggest only ordering one tie until you have the measurements, construction etc just the way that you want it. Feel free to email me with questions even if you are ordering elsewhere.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 on Sam Hober

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't your 18.25 inch neck is the problem. It's your height that's requiring an extra long tie for you?

RSN125

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Like, 6 months wait. Or more. But yes, well worth it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads