1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Made To Measure suits online?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Inker19, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Joshua Paul

Joshua Paul Member

That's true.

Sometimes, all we need is an affordable option for a suit of decent fitting and quality!

2. HenryAstonBespo

HenryAstonBespo Member

That is not a bad suit at all. Trousers look decent and the jacket isn't bad. I gave my view on the growth of budget tailors and this seems to re-affirm my view. For the money you spent on this (under £100??), it would be tough to get a suit off the peg that fits ok.

3. ModernMansWorld

ModernMansWorld Member

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I having my RMCH 2012 charity suit done by Tiberias, so fingers crossed.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Those are far from decent garments especially the trousers. Your advertising has provided adequate condemnation of this supplier.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Yes "luck" that is the kindest description of online MTM that I have seen. 'Disaster' is the usual one.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

More advertising. What is your connection with them?

1 person likes this.
  8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

:rotflmao:

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

geschichtlich: Is the everythingbespoke suit you bought canvassed? Fused?

HenryAstonBespo: Is your friend's suit from Suit Row canvassed? Fused?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ac

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I can now answer this myself. I e-mailed Suit Row and asked if their suits are canvassed. Here's their reply (which was startlingly quick for late on a Sunday afternoon, by the way):

"All of our suits have a floating chest canvas but we can make it fully
    canvassed for a small extra price of £50."

That's a bit encouraging, I think.

Cheers,

Ac

11. HenryAstonBespo

HenryAstonBespo Member

Sorry, who are you??

12. HenryAstonBespo

HenryAstonBespo Member

I was about to say it has a floating chest piece but you have emailed them direct.

13. geschichtlich

geschichtlich Member

What a weird, prissy little jerk you are. I like my suit....it fits really well, especially after I had the seat taken out an inch, and has garnered quite a few compliments. Maybe you need more help to look good....I can't say, of course. But I come off just fine with cheap MTM attire.

Alas, poor you.

For those of you who aren't weird little jerks, I availed myself of the three for $99 shirt deal that the company offers. Two of the shirts, of end-on-end and oxford, are fine but the third is of a fabric which, when washed, shrank a great deal...a full size, at least, in the arms and body. Beware fabric CKH-029. The other fabrics aren't the greatest shirtings I've seen, but the fit is perfect.

I emailed the company yesterday, but have yet to hear back.

14. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

please post a picture of the perfect shirts.
    are they as perfect as your suit.
    which has lots of problems
    but for the few hundred dollars you paid, I guess i have seen worse.

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

You are easily satisfied if you think that good and that is after letting the seat out by an INCH. The more that you protest in this unseemly way merely serves to confirm that you are advertising.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  16. geschichtlich

geschichtlich Member

You're right, you're right....I am easily satisfied by a suit that fits me perfectly well and cost me a whopping $140. Call me crazy....or call me anything you like. But don't call me a weird, prissy little jerk with a maniacal paranoia.

If you spent half as much time refining your grasp of English grammar as you obviously have refining your vulnerability to advertising, your posts would be enjoyably, bitingly paranoid, instead of weird. Keep working at it. Some folks need more time with 4th grade grammar than others.

As regards your request, Shirtmaven, I'll make a point of taking some photos as soon as I can.

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your suit is not perfect
    I have been in the custom clothing business for over 30 years.
    not the worst I have ever seen.

If you had another suit made, I would suggest sending some photos along.
    the fronts are crossing.
    the front button placement looks off causing the pockets to look uneven.

I don't remember if you fixed the trousers, but they are too tight across the front.

Corners are cut to make a suit that inexpensively. an extra $50 for a canvas will not make the fit any better

I can't imagine what the fabric for the shirts feel like at that price.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying clothing online, just
    keep your expectations low.

18. HenryAstonBespo

HenryAstonBespo Member

Hi there,

First, Shirtmaven, great to meet another tailor. I don't quite have a 30 year run, but 12 years made up mostly of Gieves & Hawkes and our own workshop in the North of England.

I totally agree with you on the point of fit. It really does need alot of work but I think, for value, it does the job. As I mentioned in a previous post, we used to sell our bespoke suits for a few grand and this online suit doesnt come close. But the important thing here is not for us to compare, rather see the fact that most people (In the UK at least) simply can not afford bespoke or even £500 MTM prices.

People are quite happy to pay £250+ for a RTW designer suit that doesnt look great, so why not a sort of in between, tailored but not bespoke, for alot less.

Another reason why I'm not keen on people trying to compare (Not you Shirtmaven) is because a number of years back, I had a dear friend who had no job but was trying so hard to find one in mens retail. He had 4 kids and times were very tough. He actually was unable to eat 3 meals a day things were that hard. Anyway, he went out a purchased a cheap (£89) suit from the high street for interviews. Nearly every interview he went too, they questioned his understanding of menswear due to the cheap suit he had on..Shocking or what. Long story short, I actually made me a lovely dark grey super 120.

My point is, all he needed was a half decent suit. He wasnt interested in all this 'bespoke' arrogance like whats on here. I'm shocked at the sheer snobbery I read on some of the threads.

Most people don't care about all of what we do as tailors. All they want is a suit that looks nice. And nice is different for everyone.

So, honestly, if anyone has got the time to fault find with a chap who was simply saying how he felt he was happy, then the people fault finding really need to focus on more important things in life.

Shirtmaven - None of that is aimed at you. You seem like a gent, so total respect from my side.

19. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I would also narrow the shoulders if you get another suit. I see the sleevehead hanging further out than the rest of your arm.

20. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add my $0.02 that being in this line of business, it's not easy to find affordable options for suits. Kudos to you for being able to find a suit that you not only liked but was at a very affordable price!