Made to measure shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Svensson, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Svensson

Svensson Member

I would like to know your thoughts on were to buy the best made to measure shirts.

What brand?
    Were do you buy them?
    What did it cost?
    Whats your experience about this?

/Svensson

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Borrelli. They have stores in SF, NY, Palm Beach and they also sell through independent retailers who often offer MTM programs. Prices start at about $400. Be patient, they take a while, but that is offset by the wide range of materials and collars to choose from.

3. Svensson

Svensson Member

Borelli is nice, good craftmenship and quality. You cant order them online though?

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

This thread is going to turn so ugly so fast.....

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Borrelli. They have stores in SF, NY, Palm Beach and they also sell through independent retailers who often offer MTM programs. Prices start at about $400. Be patient, they take a while, but that is offset by the wide range of materials and collars to choose from.

OK. I'll start. Borrelli shirts are great if you buy them for around $130 online. For $400 Borrelli shirts are a shit deal. At that price you should be getting a better shirt, made for your body, not a modified stock special.

6. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

OK. I'll start. Borrelli shirts are great if you buy them for around $130 online. For $400 Borrelli shirts are a shit deal. At that price you should be getting a better shirt, made for your body, not a modified stock special.

Well, that didn't take long.

7. Svensson

Svensson Member

Its not many shirts that are worth 400$...
    But please, more examples of made to measure shirts.

8. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

I think I can see the future of this thread... [​IMG]

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Svensson, do you live anywhere with a local option, either bespoke or MTM? That is, a person you can work with directly to get a good fit and some value for your money?

10. GusW

So, iammatt, what do you recommend for a MTM shirt?

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

So, iammatt, what do you recommend for a MTM shirt?
    I think MTM shirts are a losing battle. RTW, at discount prices, is almost as good, more consistent and a lot more affordable. Bespoke is, obviously, good as well, but harder to find.

12. Svensson

Svensson Member

Svensson, do you live anywhere with a local option, either bespoke or MTM? That is, a person you can work with directly to get a good fit and some value for your money?

Shirts with high quality is not that common in Sweden but we have one or two exeptions...

"Thed Valley" (Scandinavian brand) do custom made shirts and MTM for a good price if you just ask them... Otherwise there is tailors that do tailormade shirt for price that you can overcome.

13. GusW

I agree with RTW for basics, but I find that from time-to-time I want certain colors, fabrics and collars. The only way to get those combinations is through MTM. I may end up paying a premium, but I get what I want.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Shirts with high quality is not that common in Sweden but we have one or two exeptions...

"Thed Valley" (Scandinavian brand) do custom made shirts and MTM for a good price if you just ask them... Otherwise there is tailors that do tailormade shirt for price that you can overcome.

Unless your local options are terrible or badly overpriced, I would start there. Chances of getting a good result from any custom garment program (whether MTM or bespoke) rise significantly the closer you are to the maker, and/or with the frequency that you can see the maker.

As in romance, long distance relationships rarely work as well as "near recourse."

15. Svensson

Svensson Member

Unless your local options are terrible or badly overpriced, I would start there. Chances of getting a good result from any custom garment program (whether MTM or bespoke) rise significantly the closer you are to the maker, and/or with the frequency that you can see the maker.

As in romance, long distance relationships rarely work as well as "near recourse."

I can agree with that but when you live in a area where there are only a small market, no matter how good that market is, you want to mix it up with something else as well.

Thats why I wanted your thoughts on good brands and places to get MTM shirts. I would gladly recomend my brands if you only were closer (not sure if they deliver all over the world).