• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made to Measure Shirts

Reaction score
Gentlemen! I am interested to know what makes a dress shirt perfect for you? I am a designer in Toronto, and I am working on the perfect men's shirt. Part of that is having it made to your specific requirements, but if there is something that keeps coming back, I would make it a standard for my pattern ie, collar width, fabric, how the arm hole is cut, even seam finishes. Drop me a line boyz! tell me what you want!

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Gentlemen! I am interested to know what makes a dress shirt perfect for you? I am a designer in Toronto, and I am working on the perfect men's shirt. Part of that is having it made to your specific requirements, but if there is something that keeps coming back, I would make it a standard for my pattern ie, collar width, fabric, how the arm hole is cut, even seam finishes. Drop me a line boyz! tell me what you want!
Hello, fellow Torontonian. I guess it depends on what market segment and price range you are looking to address. There are several vendors here on SF that specialize in shirts at different price points. I've been quite keen on the offering the Luxire as do many other SF members given the value and unlimited customization options they provide. You should check out their affiliate thread and look through all the pictures being posted there of the customer shirts. Right now there some good discussion around sleeve length and back/yoke pleating/darting/shirring. There is also constant discussion around collar designs.

HughJ

Reaction score
Cool, will the shirts actually be made in Canada?

To answer your question, I've largely been underwhelmed by the selection of seasonal fabrics offered my favourite online MTM shirt makers. Some have tedious methods of browsing through the fabrics on their sites on top of that. If you can get the stuff we're picky about right (smoothmoose's list), that would give you a leg up IMO.

Reaction score
I will be making the shirts.. so east side Toronto, Canada. I would love to try and reach the gents that don't have a ton of extra money to spend on clothes. Why deny people of good style, and great materials. These shirts, like my dresses I make will be made to order. But both comments are great! Thank you for input, and will check out the site. I did a line of linen ties earlier this season and I have to agree, the selection of summer shirts has been disappointing. and also the linen selection.. But that's for another discussion.

Last edited:

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will be making the shirts.. so east side Toronto, Canada. I would love to try and reach the gents that don't have a ton of extra money to spend on clothes. Why deny people of good style, and great materials. These shirts, like my dresses I make will be made to order. But both comments are great! Thank you for input, and will check out the site.  I did a line of linen ties earlier this season and I have to agree, the selection of summer shirts has been disappointing. and also the linen selection.. But that's for another discussion.

What price point are you targeting then? Obviously they particulars will add/subtract production time, but materials will largely determine where the pricing begins. That's why I'm curious as to what price point you're targeting.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Yup, price point is key and I guess you plan to sell mainly locally in Toronto? If so, you think you are going after the Bay street or the urban hipster clientele? I don't fall into either category, but if I were to think where most of the local MTM business would come from in Toronto those would be the groups that come to mind.

Also Irate is also right on material and fabric selection in driving price point. As you are a designer you probably have a better idea, but I recently ran through most of the shops on Queen West specifically looking for horn buttons to replace one on my trenchcoat and was utterly frustrated at not being able to find such an basic quality item IMO. I ended up buying some buttons online from California instead. So sourcing the right materials that we like, might be a challenge in Toronto? Speaking of buttons, I think Mother-of-Pearl is the general consensus winner on what is expected on a quality dress shirt.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the other thing that comes to mind when asking the "What is your perfect shirt?" question, is that it will vary greatly across the board. Although I think there are some rather basic features most here will agree upon with some exception, but not much.

All of these come to mind:
Barrel cuffs
Spread Collar or Button Down Collar - Offering both of these will satisfy the majority of this forum based on my observations.
MOP Buttons
Gauntlet Button
Dartless

This should be a good foundation to start with.

Regarding your question about what keeps people coming back is going to depend on a few things as well.

Here are my must-haves:
Understanding my preferences.
Good communication throughout the process.
Reasonable time to complete the product.
Good follow up during the tweaking process to get the shirt perfect after the first submission.

Good luck, and I look forward to following your progress.

Reaction score
All awesome!! Thanks gents. As for price point, I am aiming for that $100 range, but once i get a couple samples done, i'll have a better idea. And at the moment I would like to target the young professional who isn't ready to wear his dad's clothes, but needs to grow up. Then on to more mature endeavours.

Now, I have a great time and great luck fabric shopping in Toronto.. and especially button shopping. I have seen those horn buttons you are looking for. You just gotta know where to look. They aren't the nicest stores, and the owners are ass holes, but I'm tough. I'll find what u need. What I have experienced in this city is the lack of fine silks. Quite a disappointment. But I am down for shopping trips to New York, or Montreal.

Reaction score
Like, truly! I am down with sacrificing a few dollars in order to deliver top quality fabric, detailing and construction.

Reaction score
1 more point: my MTM dress clientell comes from the "not so standard size" lady. I am hoping to target the same here. I'm a giantess so I know the struggles of finding clothing that fits. So I hope to reach super long arm guy, the incredibly short waisted dude.. Ya know?

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All awesome!! Thanks gents. As for price point, I am aiming for that $100 range, but once i get a couple samples done, i'll have a better idea. And at the moment I would like to target the young professional who isn't ready to wear his dad's clothes, but needs to grow up. Then on to more mature endeavours.

Now, I have a great time and great luck fabric shopping in Toronto.. and especially button shopping. I have seen those horn buttons you are looking for. You just gotta know where to look. They aren't the nicest stores, and the owners are ass holes, but I'm tough. I'll find what u need. What I have experienced in this city is the lack of fine silks. Quite a disappointment. But I am down for shopping trips to New York, or Montreal.

Let me know if you need a model for your samples :)

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Great. I think the $100 price range would be appealing depending on the fabrics you can source. I buy MTM/custom as I am shorter at 5'5", but still have somewhat broad and muscular frame. Nothing off-the-rack here comes close to fitting me.

I second most of Irates design recommendations. I would add further to barrel cuffs need to have a straight cutaway edge vs. a rounded one. But those are your choices as a designer and of course would find and define your own signature style, while still allowing customers to customize areas they want to change. For fabrics, I am personally biased to standard solids and ginghams. I also prefer contrasting under collars, under-plackets, inner cuffs, and button-holes to add some pop to solid that normally worn without suit and tie. I find this to be must useful in business-casual environments that I work in.

Happy be volunteer as model as well if you looking for someone. Definitely keep us posted on your progress.

Reaction score
It's like you read my mind about what looks good! Agreed on every point that was mentioned from the cut away cuff, solids n ginghams, contrasting undersides.. It's interesting as a woman designing for men. I know what I like to look at, but that's not necessarily the same from the mans point of view. Great to know I am on track! Thanks for all the help!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longer arms and a VERY SLIM waist. It seems like most shirts are made for fat, Mini-Me's. I have long arms, and I want my clothes to show that I work out. Sometimes, you have to trade off between slim waist and arm length, or the waist will be nice and slim, but the chest will be a few inches too tight.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads