• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made to measure advice for London

JRSmithson

Reaction score
HI,
First post...be kind.
I am looking for a Made to Measure/Custom tailored 2 piece suit in London. I am 6ft 1ins with 42 ins chest and 36 ins waist....32 ins inside leg.
Budget is £1000-1500.
I had a wander down Savile Row yesterday and tried a number of suits on.
Kilgour and Richard James were IMO rubbish.
I tried a Huntsman off the rack ........blue chalkstripe.......they were very friendly and helpful and suggested I tried the ready to wear first.
It fitted really well in their opinion...and mine too....just needed 1/2 inch on the sleeve and waist......it was £1500.
I like the Huntsman coat the best of any I have seen.I dont really like "soft tailoring". The problem was...I wanted flat front trousers and slanted pockets...the ready to wear doesnt have this.
Planning to look off the row in a couple of weeks....specifically Jonathon Quearney and Russell Browne.

So...what should I do.....go with the Huntsman RTW (I am tempted)....or go MTM and ask them to copy the Huntsman suit with the slant pockets and flat front.
Is this likely to be successful???
Thanks in advance.
Jason

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't judge any Savile Row establishment's bespoke operation (or semi-bespoke/MTM/whatever, at your price-range) on the strength of their RTW...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRSmithson
HI, First post...be kind. I am looking for a Made to Measure/Custom tailored 2 piece suit in London. I am 6ft 1ins with 42 ins chest and 36 ins waist....32 ins inside leg. Budget is £1000-1500. I had a wander down Savile Row yesterday and tried a number of suits on. Kilgour and Richard James were IMO rubbish. I tried a Huntsman off the rack ........blue chalkstripe.......they were very friendly and helpful and suggested I tried the ready to wear first. It fitted really well in their opinion...and mine too....just needed 1/2 inch on the sleeve and waist......it was £1500. I like the Huntsman coat the best of any I have seen.I dont really like "soft tailoring". The problem was...I wanted flat front trousers and slanted pockets...the ready to wear doesnt have this. Planning to look off the row in a couple of weeks....specifically Jonathon Quearney and Russell Browne. So...what should I do.....go with the Huntsman RTW (I am tempted)....or go MTM and ask them to copy the Huntsman suit with the slant pockets and flat front. Is this likely to be successful??? Thanks in advance. Jason
You could get bespoke, off the Row for that price, I wouldn't buy RTW from any Savile Row tailor as you're just paying for the label. Do you have the time for the fittings?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just out of interest, i thought kilgour had got out of the rtw business? why did you think their stuff was rubbish? i used to like them for what they were. but we may be different shapes.

personally i would go MTM/bespoke off the row. if you want those features, the lack of them will probably end up bothering you. also consider mr eddie, graham browne, both of whom do bespoke in your price range i think.

also as a MTM you could consider the cad and the dandy. they have a young guy there who is currently doing an apprenticeship under jon deboise and i think edward sexton. if youre into structured tailoring it might be worth giving him a try.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
HI,

Planning to look off the row in a couple of weeks....specifically Jonathon Quearney and Russell Browne.

Do you mean Graham Browne? Head cutter there is called Russell. I've been measured up for a bespoke tweed suit there and should be having my first fitting pretty shortly. It's my first time going bespoke but I'm pretty confident in them and they were recommended to me. Price-wise it's slightly under £1k. Quearney will be a bit pricier I think.

What about Connock & Lockie? All the info I've seen about them is fairly old, but AAAC's guide says their style is "Huntsman-like" and I think they might be in-budget.

Macallan

Reaction score
1. Budget is £1000-1500.

2. I tried a Huntsman off the rack
It fitted really well in their opinion...and mine too....just needed 1/2 inch on the sleeve and waist......it was £1500.

3. I like the Huntsman coat the best of any I have seen.I dont really like "soft tailoring". The problem was...I wanted flat front trousers and slanted pockets...the ready to wear doesnt have this.

2. Trying RTW before going the the MTM route can help the customer and the staff understand what fits. Although it is not always a true result; for example, taking 1/2 inch of the sleeve make not look as good as it seems on the RTW sleeve.

3. One of ther advantages of MTM is that you can get features that you may not find on RTW garments.

1. With the budget in mind, you could use options like Cad & Dandy (offer MTM and 'bespoke'), George Bespoke Tailor (low-end bespoke) or Soho-based tailors
I have only used C&D from the options mentions, they do have a structured jacket and you have can choose options like flat front trousers and slanted jacket pockets. For under £1k you can get a suit in a good cloth.

Bown bespoke - example for George Bespoke Tailor (although this is for a coat)
http://www.bownsbespoke.com/george.htm

My alteration tailor on Berwick Street, recommends Chris Kerr for Soho-based bespoke
http://chriskerr.com/#

Huntsman MTM is the similar to bespoke prices, £1950 according to the Huntsman website.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
+1 on Graham Browne

I have not received a finished suit yet, but have had the first fitting and can confirm it is full bespoke and costs much less than your budget (2 piece stars at about £850).

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
What about Connock & Lockie? All the info I've seen about them is fairly old, but AAAC's guide says their style is "Huntsman-like" and I think they might be in-budget.

They do a have Huntsman style and within budget

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris

Originally Posted by Macallan
They do a have Huntsman style and within budget

Didn't they make the suits for JFK? Hardly Huntsman...Although, when I checked in there it seemed as if there wasn't a particular 'House Cut', and that the garment could be tailored to your needs.

I'd say Sims & MacDonald across the street were more 'Huntsman'.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard very good things about Connock & Lockie, so would recommend you investigate them further on the strength of feedback alone.

Graham Browne offer a very wide range of styles (almost like a Hong Kong tailor in that respect) and seem to really enjoy the ideas clients present. Their prices are good, but with that comes a fair level of machine work. Russell is (IIRC) an ex-military tailor so can cut a strong silhouette.

Chris Kerr seems to offer a similar approach to GB (namely if you can concieve it he'll make it) and is known for making quite a strong silhouette as standard. I've examined some of his work and it seems well made for the money.

JRSmithson

Reaction score
After a lot of research I have narrowed down to Chris Kerr Bespoke Vs Jonathon Quearney MTM....spoke to both on the phone...encouraging.
Likely I will go wwith the former.
Thoughts???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads