• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made the jump, bought the Reliable Iron and Ironing board J420 & c88

yellman

Reaction score
I just purchased the ironmaven j420 iron and the c88 ironing board.

I asked around and found that the best way to preserve the look of a ironed shirt is the following:

Heat, forced steam, then draw the water out of the gament.

These two items should do the job right. I do not like getting my clothing dry cleaned or pressed. Too many buttons destroyed, or burnt brown marks, and hate the $30 per week fee and hassle of dropping off an picking up.

History, I have looked at getting this item versus the rowenta for a long time. Rowenta is now owned by Tfal and seems to be using mostly cheap made in china materials. There is a small price difference between this and the similar item for rowenta. I realize a lot of people out there are big rowenta fans, but for those in the commercial side, they prefer the reliable products. I am using it for home, but wanted higher quality.

I also own a whirlpool steamer (big sort of closet item that encloses and steams garments), a singer iron press, a coby steamer and a pants press.

1st thoughts.

The j420 is solid, a little bit light, good quality contruction. Brass seals and the lot.

Two simple settings for the steam component.

Off, on with steam, on with just iron.

Iron does the usual gammit of settings, seems to have a little bit more variablity in temperature then usual (4 or 5 settings for cotton)

Takes about 8-10 mins for the water to boil (1 liter).

The c88 is a very heavy duty ironing board with suction and heat.

The heat is a constant low temperature heat that helps remove the moisture of the cloth.

This is solid, one piece, simple to operate. On and off switch and a pedal to use.

Decided agaisnt going for the c81 that has the optional upflow feature, spoke to several people and said that is it better to go for the stronger motor on the c88 then the rarely used upflow and lower quality motor of the c81.

Took the most difficult shirt that I have to iron. A turbull and Asser shirt that is made out of 100 % cotton and when washed becomes the most wrinkled shirt in the world.

I found that the steam comes out of the iron with strong amount of force (it is known for high psi's). I got the optional teflon shoe and it potects the clothing from shine. Easy to move the iron, very little effort. I used the ironing board suction most of the time, found it kept the cloth flat and smooth and removed steam immediately.

So far I am impressed. The shirt came out dry, pressed almost like new. Small bubbling from the cloth apparently due to using too high of a temperature. I still have to play with the settings and get things right.

The item blew my fuse twice in my house (had iron, ironing board, tv, lights etc ) all running on same fuse.

This appears to work for me. Will try the shirt out tomorrow and see how long it remains wrinkle free. Assuming all goes well, the item pays for itself in less then a year.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hahah. I've got a heated board and I can't use them on the same circuit. I guess I'm not the only one.

I'm not sure if you're doing it right, though. The vacuum pulls the steam out, but it also cools the surface of the board [and the shirt]. To get the shirt ironed, you want it hot and damp when wrinkled, then cool and dry once it's in the right shape. So I think you should iron first, then vacuum for a second or two before moving to the next panel.

You might use constant vacuum if you were trying to avoid damaging the fabric or ironing over seams, though.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
this iron/ironing board sounds like a wetdream for me. Ive had multiple rowentas...I still dont know why I keep going back to them. Where would I find one of these Reliable Irons?

yellman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Hahah. I've got a heated board and I can't use them on the same circuit. I guess I'm not the only one.

I'm not sure if you're doing it right, though. The vacuum pulls the steam out, but it also cools the surface of the board [and the shirt]. To get the shirt ironed, you want it hot and damp when wrinkled, then cool and dry once it's in the right shape. So I think you should iron first, then vacuum for a second or two before moving to the next panel.

You might use constant vacuum if you were trying to avoid damaging the fabric or ironing over seams, though.

Do you have the same models?

I think the reason why the board has a small heating element in it is to keep it slightly hot and not to defeat the iron. I will keep playing with the order of the processes. Damn manual says almost nothing about any of it. MY sole complaint so far.

yellman

Reaction score
The iron and board can be purchsed directly from http://www.reliablecorporation.com/ They basically import it from italy and change the name to a reliable product. This stuff is apparently very big in europe. My friends neighbour (a seamstress) has the same basic model but it is 20 years old, from italy.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The heating element (as far as I know) is mostly there to help dry the board out. The warm surface helps soften the cotton, yes. But it needs to cool down to set it. When you do that, the vacuum sucks the moisture into the board where it collects. Take the cover off after using it--it'll be full of water. Make sure you empty it and let it dry before putting the thing away.

I do have that board, but not the same iron.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
Ive had multiple rowentas...I still dont know why I keep going back to them.
Same here. I think I've kept returning to Rowenta because of a lack of other options. Looks like this may be a better option for me to explore.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman
The iron and board can be purchsed directly from

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/

They basically import it from italy and change the name to a reliable product. This stuff is apparently very big in europe. My friends neighbour (a seamstress) has the same basic model but it is 20 years old, from italy.

nice....thanks a million for the link!

TRA8324

Reaction score
Nice purchases. I definitely wouldn't mind getting a heated ironing board. A pants press is something I would like to invest in as well.

I still have the same Rowenta that my mom bought me when I went off to college 5 years ago, and it has served me well so far. Even in spite of the time I tried to iron when I was hammered on game day and ended up pouring vodka in it instead of water.
facepalm.gif

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice....thanks a million for the link!

I think everyone that sells reliable stuff drop ships it, and reliable makes them sell it at the same price. So how do you get a deal? I don't know. Before I would have said to go to ebay, when they did the cash back promotions.

yellman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
when I was hammered on game day and ended up pouring vodka in it instead of water.
facepalm.gif

Did it do a better job?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
im not so much worried about getting a deal...sometimes you have to pay retail...SOMETIMES.

yellman

Reaction score
im not so much worried about getting a deal...sometimes you have to pay retail...SOMETIMES.

I did get a "deal" on it, but not a huge saving. I was doin research on it, for a few years, saw it at trade shows and so forth.

Ebay has it for retail price, plus a silly shipping price.

It is a unique item that is not really sold at retail stores. I got mine with a free teflon shoe and saved on tax by payin cash (I still have a warranty). But these are not huge savings. For some items, that are specialty type items, you have to pay retail.

Plus for myself, If I buy off ebay, I lose the warranty and get charge shipping and duty.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman
Did it do a better job?
i don't remember, but i think it steamed quicker because alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads