• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Made in USA" clothing

steve2318

Reaction score
I just want to mention Grown and Sewn on this list. I believe their entire product line is sourced domestically. I own a pair of the Kax Legend that I wear all the time. Great fit and construction. Highly recommend.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious question regarding this topic (which seems to come up quite frequently). Are there any non-Americans here who actually wanna buy items because they are "Made in USA"?

The Japanese. Discerning as they are.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score

But the point isn't so much where the workers are from. The point is that they are living, working, and spending here in the States. And the corporation is based here as well. All of this stimulates our economy.

We do, of course, have immigration issues to address - but that's a bit of a separate topic.

For me the point is that for those of us who can afford to spend a little bit more for quality American made goods perhaps at this point in time we should. As our economy needs the boost. Sort of a 'vote with your wallet' sort of thinking.

+1

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others not mentioned (mostly SW&D labels):

Apolis [CA]
Engineered Garments [NYC]
Woolrich Woolen Mills (Not John Woolrich or the mainstream line) [PA]
The Hill-Side (ties, pocketsquares, scarves) [NYC]
Velva-Sheen (fantastic t-shirts, better than AA IMO) [OH]
Jungmaven (hemp t-shirts) [CA]
Post O'Alls (vintage & repro) [NY?]
Pointer Brand (workwear type stuff) [TN]
Billy Reid (not all but some stuff) [AL]
Imogene + Willie (workwear, repro) [TN]
Monitaly (owner of Yuketen) [CA]
Left Field (great denim & chinos) [NYC]

I'm sure there's others I'm leaving out. This also doesn't include a veritable cottage industry of people making smaller items like socks, bow ties, neck ties, pocketsquares, cuff links, lapel pins, etc. that do pretty well in the e-commerce market.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My understanding is that you almost have to make from "imported cloth". The fabric mills in the USA are virtually all gone. The only ones left make for the military. There might be some small fabric mills left in the US but I don't know.

i believe cone mills still makes cotton cloth in the us. i just bought some of their selvage raw denim. it looks good so far, have not cut yet.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious question regarding this topic (which seems to come up quite frequently). Are there any non-Americans here who actually wanna buy items because they are "Made in USA"?
I am just asking since after 7 years in the US my feeling is that American manufacturing in general is pretty lousy. Sure some brands (e.g. AE or Alden) are decent, but I buy them despite being "Made in USA" rather than because of this label. By the way this is not supposed to be some silly anti-Americanism: I really really miss (among many other things) quality of SERVICES in the US. Just wanna understand if this is more a question of patriotism or if missed something regarding quality of US manufacturing.

Although Im English the tailoring for my company is all made in the U.S and I look for local suppliers and makers because the quality is there, but also, and mainly so that lines of communication are short, This is good for quality control especially in custom garments.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are we restricted to clothing?

Is that Chinese or American?

I bet they don't make valves(vacuum toobs) in the USA these day, nor in the UK for that matter. Russia or China probably.

Last edited:

JakeLA

Reaction score
American made amp, but you're right, the tubes are all made in Asia or former Eastern Bloc countries. Although I believe there are still industrial tubes made in the US (for microwaves, radio transmitters, etc.) Interestingly (to me, anyway), the reason the commies still kept the tube factories going after the advent of transistors was because of the Cold War: tubes are relatively impervious to electromagnetic radiation, so in the event of a nuclear war, all their tube communications equipment would still be operating, while our transistor radios would all be fried.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads