• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in US or Canada (need help)

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Here is the question that was posed to me:

"My sister is trying to find a clothing supplier like "American Apparel" that is American or Canadian, sweat shop free and locally made. She is a fashion designer and makes her own stuff but would like another supplier that is not as popular as the above."

This is what I could come up with:
Rag and Bone (denim only)
Band of Outsiders
engineered garments

I am sure there are others. Any suggestions?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you are looking for. Brands that use American and Canadian factories? Or the names of factories in the US and Canada that do blanks the way AA or Alternative do. Please elaborate.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm not really sure what you are looking for. Brands that use American and Canadian factories? Or the names of factories in the US and Canada that do blanks the way AA or Alternative do. Please elaborate.

I am not really clear on the question myself. I will try to clarify.

Also it was pointed out Alternative isn't quite so North American these days:

http://irregulartimes.com/diaries/20...apparel-movie/

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, nice username... great show.

If your sister is looking for a blanks supplier in the US her only choices are American Apparel and Alternative Apparel. If you're asking which brands make clothes in US/Canada, then you could add Wings+Horns, Krane, Filson, Apolis Activism, and some of J.Crew's men's ties...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for manufacturers, Wing Son in Canada does a lot of high quality stuff for some very well known names. I am not sure whether they offer blanks, or just do cut and sew (http://www.wingson.com/garments/clients.html). CYC (of Wings and Horns fame) produce great sweats, but only cut-and-sew, and minimums are pretty high. Alternative Apparel may be the way for her to go.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Montreal company called "Blank" that makes AA-style clothing. Made in Quebec. They do wholesale, according to their site. I checked out their shop and I prefer AA or Alt. A., but it may be worth looking into.

http://www.wearblank.com/

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article is dumb. There are plenty of high grade factories in China, and there are plenty of sweatshops in the States as well, particularly in the LA area (undocumented workers FTW), and Dov Charney, the American Apparel CEO, is a documented sleezeball.

There are plenty of decent cut-and-sew places in both LA and NYC, but if she is looking for blanks, her options are significantly more limited.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
That article is dumb. There are plenty of high grade factories in China, and there are plenty of sweatshops in the States as well, particularly in the LA area (undocumented workers FTW), and Dov Charney, the American Apparel CEO, is a documented sleezeball.

There are plenty of decent cut-and-sew places in both LA and NYC, but if she is looking for blanks, her options are significantly more limited.

Yah, I love how the internet gives people a platform to write absolutely diatribes without any evidence, research or thought. Plus that video was annoying as hell.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweatshops make consumer society possible. Sweatshops FTW!

norma.w.

Reaction score
thanks so much!
just to clarify as my brother was not to sure of what i was asking........

I am looking for great blank or basic, colorful clothing/dresses/cardigans/t-shirts etc.... like american apparel/alternative apparel to rework, silkscreen or applique on.
I am trying to find wholesale, preferably American or Canadian made/union made/sweatshop free or even fair trade international...
I am really tired of American Apparel and Alternative Apparel, they're way too over used. And i just can't support the made in china /forced labor anymore, even if they have really cute fashions..........i would be grateful for any help......THANKS!!

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
PM me. I have one additional resource in LA that has slightly more fashion forward blanks. They will also produce custom bodies, you just have to haggle "a lot" to get what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads