• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To actually answer the question regarding width: for a given size, Rain is narrower at the forefoot and wider at the heel. Also, for a given size, the main line lasts are narrower than the Artistas at the forefoot, and wider at the heel. Take a look at how narrow the heel is in comparison to the forefoot in these:

To judge fit by looking at the bottom isn't advisable. The heel is small since cut relatively close. Then yes, Artista heels are a bit tighter than many others, but so are Main line, and actual width is more or less the same for main line and Artista. When Artista was developed the main line fit was what was strived for, since it was so praised, so basically proportions are the same just different shapes. The slightly lower shape of Artista over the ball and toe means some may experience it as wider since it suits their feet even better, but actual width (which is circumference when one talk shoe lasts) is the same.

It’s a G width thought fwiw.

As I state above one shouldn't look from below to judge width, that said, proportions between heel and front would be the same no matter width since when one go up in width the entire last goes up in circumference, so the forefoot with the same amount as the heel.

Last edited:

Adhazem

Reaction score
To judge fit by looking at the bottom isn't advisable. The heel is small since cut relatively close. Then yes, Artista heels are a bit tighter than many others, but so are Main line, and actual width is more or less the same for main line and Artista. When Artista was developed the main line fit was what was strived for, since it was so praised, so basically proportions are the same just different shapes. The slightly lower shape of Artista over the ball and toe means some may experience it as wider since it suits their feet even better, but actual width (which is circumference when one talk shoe lasts) is the same.

As I state above one shouldn't look from below to judge width, that said, proportions between heel and front would be the same no matter width since when one go up in width the entire last goes up in circumference, so the forefoot with the same amount as the heel.

Good to know. Their Goya and Picasso fit me soooo well.

mdjd

Reaction score
Coloring! My favorite dark brown is the Edward Green Dark oak, but out of my price range for the foreseeable future.
What's the closest match? I'm especially interested in EG DOAK vs TLB artista vegano dark brown?
Anyone have a pair in both that can compare them?
What other maker's dark browns are close to the DG Doak? Thank you!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coloring! My favorite dark brown is the Edward Green Dark oak, but out of my price range for the foreseeable future.
What's the closest match? I'm especially interested in EG DOAK vs TLB artista vegano dark brown?
Anyone have a pair in both that can compare them?
What other maker's dark browns are close to the DG Doak? Thank you!

Vegano dark brown is very similar to EG Dark oak. In both cases batches can vary slightly but if variations goes towards each other they look basically the same, just that TLB don't do the burnishing effect, but that you can solve yourself if you wish.

mdjd

Reaction score
Vegano dark brown is very similar to EG Dark oak. In both cases batches can vary slightly but if variations goes towards each other they look basically the same, just that TLB don't do the burnishing effect, but that you can solve yourself if you wish.
Oh cool. Do you have any links to resources re: burnishing? (as I prepare to mess up and destroy shoes I haven't even ordered yet)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh cool. Do you have any links to resources re: burnishing? (as I prepare to mess up and destroy shoes I haven't even ordered yet)

Basically just a regular spit shine process but with a much darker brown of polish, and one make sure to go most on the toe tip and easier towards backwards to get a nice transition. And if one want one can work on the heel cap as well. To be honest, it was quite many years ago that EG's burnishing was really good, so to achieve something similar should be doable also without too much experience ;)

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically just a regular spit shine process but with a much darker brown of polish, and one make sure to go most on the toe tip and easier towards backwards to get a nice transition. And if one want one can work on the heel cap as well. To be honest, it was quite many years ago that EG's burnishing was really good, so to achieve something similar should be doable also without too much experience ;)
Mirror shining lighter shoes with darker polish is tricky in my experience. Unless you achieve perfectly even layers of polish, the wax can build up more in certain areas and make those patches noticeably darker. I have done it on a DOAK pair I have and to be honest I wish I'd gone for a similar colour wax.

1668466739778.png

mdjd

Reaction score
Mr. J, thanks for the help, and one more for you (no good deed goes unpunished).
I've seen you give a lot of sizing advice onto his thread, I'd appreciate one more.
I've always thought I was 9.5D but realize now I'm a 10C heel-toe, 10.5-11 heel-ball, between C and B with C ball and v skinny heels (I was so tired of the uncertainty that I bought a brannock). Low volume feets, high arch. I've done things like the meccariello sizing chart and come out with a 8.75D UK.
For comparison, I wear an AE 65 9.5D, but that's a long and skinny last. I've ordered a 10C but that won't arrive for a while. C&J 348 (their longest last) 8.5uk fits well, but it's loose in the heel, and I suspect would bend better as a 9 length.
I've crammed my feet into a lot of 8uk and made it work, but with ball and arch pain often. Grant Stone Diesel boots are perfect in length as a 9.5, but way too voluminous with boot socks and a leather insole.

My question: 8.5e or 9e on the Picasso for a MTO oxford?
Thanks again!

Peitron

Reaction score
Mr. J, thanks for the help, and one more for you (no good deed goes unpunished).
I've seen you give a lot of sizing advice onto his thread, I'd appreciate one more.
I've always thought I was 9.5D but realize now I'm a 10C heel-toe, 10.5-11 heel-ball, between C and B with C ball and v skinny heels (I was so tired of the uncertainty that I bought a brannock). Low volume feets, high arch. I've done things like the meccariello sizing chart and come out with a 8.75D UK.
For comparison, I wear an AE 65 9.5D, but that's a long and skinny last. I've ordered a 10C but that won't arrive for a while. C&J 348 (their longest last) 8.5uk fits well, but it's loose in the heel, and I suspect would bend better as a 9 length.
I've crammed my feet into a lot of 8uk and made it work, but with ball and arch pain often. Grant Stone Diesel boots are perfect in length as a 9.5, but way too voluminous with boot socks and a leather insole.

Thanks again!

Feet are complicated. I'd write to Tony directly, he can advice you well. With him I learned that I needed wider soles at the arch, so I now swap Main soles on Artista lasts.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!

Heel to ball is the most important measurement, that's what really judges if a shoe fit well or not. All other ones you can modify around with to certain extent (apart from if it's too short obviously), and width you can work on with insoles, and heel grips or better yet cobbler inserting extra heel lining, for example. So in my eyes definitely UK9 and then work with that to get the rest as good as possible.

mdjd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm doing it!
I've seen a few discussions on the thread about shoe tree difficulties. so e said the lasted trees are too wide for the E width, and the smaller don't fit out the toes.

Is there a consensus of the best tree (not nec. TLB) for the Picasso 9E?

Sam L

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying my first pair of TLB Mallorcas (Artista) oxfords to wear with suits, and had a few questions:

1. In looking at the following link for museum calf shoes, there is the "website" picture, and also a "real life" picture. The "real life" picture looks considerably lighter than the website picture. Does anyone who has these know which is more accurate? https://www.tlbmallorca.com/107-artista-picasso-museumcalf-brown

2. I've seen people here write that the vegano leather patinas nicely over time. What is the recommended way to develop this patina...wax or cream? In the past, I've stayed away from wax as I felt that cream moisturizes the shoe better, but I could definitely be wrong.

3. What is your preference of leather: vegano or museum?

Peitron

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying my first pair of TLB Mallorcas (Artista) oxfords to wear with suits, and had a few questions:

1. In looking at the following link for museum calf shoes, there is the "website" picture, and also a "real life" picture. The "real life" picture looks considerably lighter than the website picture. Does anyone who has these know which is more accurate? https://www.tlbmallorca.com/107-artista-picasso-museumcalf-brown

2. I've seen people here write that the vegano leather patinas nicely over time. What is the recommended way to develop this patina...wax or cream? In the past, I've stayed away from wax as I felt that cream moisturizes the shoe better, but I could definitely be wrong.

3. What is your preference of leather: vegano or museum?

I have all three museum calf colors and in my eyes the colors are not as dark as the official web pictures.

Sam L

Reaction score
I have all three museum calf colors and in my eyes the colors are not as dark as the official web pictures.
Thank you. Are you happy with how the museum calf ages? I'm trying to decide between vegano and museum calf, and wondering if one ages better than the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics