• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

convoliution

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Wondering if I could get some opinions on fit, here.

I got these double monks in TLB's Goya last, in 7.5F (at Toni's recommendation based on my foot length, up from my initial guess of 7). But I feel like the opening flares out a bit more than I'd expect beside my ankle, and there's just enough room behind my heel for me to slip my foot out with some deliberate effort.

Is this how leather shoes are meant to fit, or should I be trying to size down? Or could this be an incompatibility between my foot and the last?
P_20230213_171520.jpg
1676509384483.jpeg
P_20230214_091103.jpg
P_20230214_091048.jpg

bonbnoz

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Wondering if I could get some opinions on fit, here.

I got these double monks in TLB's Goya last, in 7.5F (at Toni's recommendation based on my foot length, up from my initial guess of 7). But I feel like the opening flares out a bit more than I'd expect beside my ankle, and there's just enough room behind my heel for me to slip my foot out with some deliberate effort.

Is this how leather shoes are meant to fit, or should I be trying to size down? Or could this be an incompatibility between my foot and the last?
View attachment 1897395 View attachment 1897397 View attachment 1897399 View attachment 1897401
Small gap between back of heel is fine but mines have been snug with TLB. I usually get a flair around ankle when shoes are slightly too big especially when there's no laces. Some slippage is expected just preference I feel.

convoliution

Reaction score
Small gap between back of heel is fine but mines have been snug with TLB. I usually get a flair around ankle when shoes are slightly too big especially when there's no laces. Some slippage is expected just preference I feel.

Ahhh that makes sense! I panic-Googled while waiting to hear back from Toni, and it sounds like some heel slippage is normal—good, even—which I didn't realize when getting into leather footwear. And it didn't occur to me that getting a snug fit around the ankle is a bit trickier with monks than with laces, since the strap holes are at fixed intervals.

Toni did kindly offer to send me insoles based on the last to help with the gap, but in the end I decided to resolve my concern of extra space by looking for a cobbler to install wheels in the heels.

bonbnoz

Reaction score
MTO longwings came in today, several flaws that I think I found. Rush job of pictures but the wingtips are puckered on both shoes, and there's a deep indent on the left pair near the welt joining. A long line on both shoes from instep to toe box on both shoes, wasn't too sure what this was. Didn't have it on my Carmina longwings. The right insole wasn't glued all the way as well. The Carmina cordovan pairs were much better. Found the Picasso last much more roomier and had a wider heel compared to Van Gogh's wasn't as close as snug to Artista u-tips I have.

Attachments

• 20230221_171801.jpg
    20230221_171801.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 20230221_171820.jpg
    20230221_171820.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20230221_171841.jpg
    20230221_171841.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 20230221_171903.jpg
    20230221_171903.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 223
  • 20230221_172015.jpg
    20230221_172015.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 20230221_172212.jpg
    20230221_172212.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 20230221_172338.jpg
    20230221_172338.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20230221_182146.jpg
    20230221_182146.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20230221_182158.jpg
    20230221_182158.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 483
  • 20230221_182326.jpg
    20230221_182326.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 494

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTO longwings came in today, several flaws that I think I found. Rush job of pictures but the wingtips are puckered on both shoes, and there's a deep indent on the left pair near the welt joining. A long line on both shoes from instep to toe box on both shoes, wasn't too sure what this was. Didn't have it on my Carmina longwings. The right insole wasn't glued all the way as well. The Carmina cordovan pairs were much better. Found the Picasso last much more roomier and had a wider heel compared to Van Gogh's wasn't as close as snug to Artista u-tips I have.
Cordovan shoes are slightly roomier due to lasting process hell on the shell and risk of fracturing apart.

SirThopas

Reaction score

Haven’t been on the forum in a while, so I have only just spotted this. I think this is pretty disappointing work. I have three pairs of TLBs and have been really impressed by the make and finishing (relative to the price point), but looking at these I’m surprised they passed QC. That deep indentation is a bad mistake. Did you send them back or get some sort of compensation - or explanation for that matter?

bonbnoz

Reaction score
Haven’t been on the forum in a while, so I have only just spotted this. I think this is pretty disappointing work. I have three pairs of TLBs and have been really impressed by the make and finishing (relative to the price point), but looking at these I’m surprised they passed QC. That deep indentation is a bad mistake. Did you send them back or get some sort of compensation - or explanation for that matter?
The deep indentation was a cut mark made by a worker on the leather when cutting the welt, wasn't explained too well.

The long lines around the edges of the whole shoes were guides from the machine and the worker used too much pressure causing an indentation. Toni said this will disappear with time so I'm not too sure.

He offered 10% and a future 10% or a return to remake but I stated 20% for the errors and he was willing to provide the discount but not another additional 20% for a future purchase. I didn't want to want another 2 weeks or month for another pair so I just took the discount. I'm seeing if I get another 10% for future purchase as well. Email responses took awhile compared to initial purchase question but Toni said pc problems and a business trip.

SirThopas

Reaction score
The deep indentation was a cut mark made by a worker on the leather when cutting the welt, wasn't explained too well.

The long lines around the edges of the whole shoes were guides from the machine and the worker used too much pressure causing an indentation. Toni said this will disappear with time so I'm not too sure.

He offered 10% and a future 10% or a return to remake but I stated 20% for the errors and he was willing to provide the discount but not another additional 20% for a future purchase. I didn't want to want another 2 weeks or month for another pair so I just took the discount. I'm seeing if I get another 10% for future purchase as well. Email responses took awhile compared to initial purchase question but Toni said pc problems and a business trip.

At least there was a willingness to engage with your dissatisfaction/disappointment. I’d also suggest that the mistakes are of a kind barely noticeable when the shoes are being worn, at least to anyone other than the wearer. But still, frustrating. Thanks for sharing your experience.

michaelle11

Reaction score
Thinking of buy the astista goya oxford. Anyone knows if the TLB is bigger than the carmina same size? Anyone confirm?

michaelle11

Reaction score
I find TLB roomier in the forefoot, but the heel and waist are more narrow.
U are right. All the tlb shoes i saw on instagram are roomier in the forefoot. I wear uk 7.5 carmina but the heel and instep are big, no V look. I really dont know if i still buy the uk 7.5 or uk 7

SirStephanikus

Reaction score
TLB-Mallorca question

Can anyone share his experience with TLB's comfort loafers of the sommelier line? How good is the rubber sole? Is a white rubber sole even “allowed” for suits?

I own 2 pairs of Artistas and those are great shoes...however, I found no information about the above loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads