Made in Italy shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Andrew777, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Andrew777

Andrew777 Member

Hi guys,

What do you think of Made in Italy shirts and where can I find good ones on-line? Not sure how much I would have to pay for a good shirt?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/why-i-love-luigi-borrelli-shirts/

I like the little story that supposedly accompanies these shirts so I purchased one and was suitably impressed. It quickly became one of my favourite shirts and I now have several. Depending on the maker, a good majority of "Made in Italy" shirts should have a plethora of hand-finished features, so if these are important to you and can add to your enjoyment of a particular garment, then it may justify the price.

Generally you will be looking at paying several hundred dollars for a RTW offering. In terms of how "good" these are, well, the fabric should be nice, there more than likely will be handwork and of course, you'll get 'the label' for some designer brands. The fit however, may be lacking, so it may be prudent to spend your money on a MTM shirt instead.

Of course, you can look at the many higher end department stores or get them direct from the makers website but I'd start by looking in the classifieds on this site or ebay. There is a ridiculous number of good quality shirts on there at any time and if you know your neck size/dimensions you may be able to get a bargain.

Some quality brands you may look for are Borrelli, Vincenzo di Ruggiero. Kiton, Isaia, Mattabisch, Sartoria Partenopea, Finamore, etcetera.

3. Andrew777

Andrew777 Member

Thank you for your reply. I can't afford several hundred dollars...I was hoping to spend around 150 max....I guess this is too low ?! I don't usually shop on E-bay as I bought some CK underwear in the past which turned out to be fake. Have you managed to buy good stuff on it?

4. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member

You're very welcome. That's understandable, it can be difficult to justify such an amount for a shirt, but that is only if you buy it new. Buying them in the classifieds off of members here or ebay would be the way to go, as I've seen some go for as cheap as $20 - ridiculous.

I think you should be safe if you search for the brands above as they are not as well known as the major label/designer brands that are poorly imitated and saturating the market. As with any ebay purchase, simply stay cautious and check feedback first.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/256755/your-favorite-high-end-ebay-sellers

This is a good start for some trusted sellers who usually always have some gorgeous items in rotation (especially balearic1, run by a standup member of this forum - Auctions start at $10 and there is a lot of quality, not to mention choice) I recall acquiring several Isaia shirts for a fraction of the cost with a bit of patience from ebay. They arrived and looked brand new - very pleasing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

6. Andrew777

Andrew777 Member

I might give E-bay a go then [​IMG] What about Amazon, anything good on it?

7. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I was reading a while back in the WSJ or NYT that for a good number of Made in Italy garments the only portion actually made in Italy is the label.

$150 should get a decent fitting MTM shirt made from solid entry level cloth. Luxire seems to have a lot of satisfied customers around here.

8. Andrew777

Andrew777 Member

Not sure how they can state something like that. The Country of Origin can't be faked , manufacturers and firms would get into trouble otherwise.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

It goes on all the time especially on line.

10. Tried and True

They have evidence and facts to back them. The EU and the Italian government have acknowledged the problem as well.

Yes, and there is a Santa Claus and an Easter Bunny.............

11. Andrew777

Andrew777 Member

Well, I am sure there are isolated situations where this has happened as this is against the law. There was a big scandal here in the UK last year where they found horse meat in many products sold in supermarkets supposed to be made of 100%beef. This affected a very small percentage of products. Supply chain is complicated and although everything should be tested you can't have 100% control of suppliers.People can say what they want and make things bigger than they are but I like to speak based on facts and not word of mouth.

12. thejoker

thejoker Well-Known Member

I like Cordone. The website is not great, but you can email Luigi and he will email over the materials he is currently working with (most of the ones he sent me were Thomas Mason fabrics). You have the freedom of choosing collar/cuff/fit. You can send measurements over too if you wish. Nice people to deal with. Comes within your budget. I love the cotton on my shirt.
    Made in Italy by Luigi Cordone, by hand.
    [email protected]

http://www.cordone1956.it/en/

13. Tried and True

It is common knowledge that there are huge amounts of 'Made in Italy' goods that are produced outside of Italy. This has been documented by many reputable news gathering organizations. It has been acknowledged by the government of Italy and the EU. Not gossp but cold hard facts.

In addition to outright piracy there is also the recent proliferation of Chinese garment factories, staffed with Chinese workers, pumping out garments with the once prestigious 'Made in Italy' lable.

Read for yourself:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-italy-china_spolarjan02-story.html#page=1

"...Prato is the core of pronto moda fashion—a manufacturing sector of cheap clothes sustained by Chinese workers and entrepreneurs. Government officials estimate that 5,500 textile workshops and factories in the region that has long been the backbone of small businesses in Italy are Chinese-owned...".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yeh, Silvio Berlusconi...Cosa Nostra... :D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

15. John72

John72 New Member

Hi!You can find a lot of Italian mens shirts online. I've always bought high quality products, and not so much expensive as you could think.