• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Italy, by Chinese workers

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would explain the quality decline in some of the "Made in Italy" products.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Sadly, this has been going on for quite some time- maybe 15-20 years. I don't know for sure, but these brands were once family owned companies and they were gobbled up in the 1980s. The truth is, hand labor is crushingly expensive- which we understand and willingly pay for. And it's not just Italian brands like Prada, Gucci etc., but also LV and Hermes...and down the list. These brands play up the image of an artisan lovingly making your shoes by hand, but sadly it is no longer the case. You are paying for a dream.

Also of concern is the fact that goods are made in China, then finished in Italy in order to legally have the "Made in Italy" tag.

This is why I am for the most part in a "post brand name" stage of buying. I'll spend too much money on local Neapolitan brands (while I am still living here) but never again will I spend money on Louis Vuitton, Burberry or any of those other mega-brands. I do not desire low production cost, high-profit items wrapped in logos that have been made by people in near slavery conditions. I'd rather have leather goods made by a small company - I will list some below. These things are much finer to my eye than a luxury label. I never get complements on my LV wallet or Burberry accessories, but my Saddleback stuff gets tons of questions.

http://www.hardgraft.com/

http://www.kentonsorenson.com/collections/store

http://www.tannergoods.com/ - (heard that customer service has been suffering lately- maybe got too big to quick?)

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ - (made in Mexico by skilled leather workers who are paid and treated well.)

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
In the interest of full disclosure- I just bought my wife some shoes from Christian Louboutin. Oops....

But it's what she wanted so...Merry Christmas hunny.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether stuff is made in Guangzhou or Prato, doesn't make much difference really?

:lurk:

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
I am glad I never caught the "mass produced luxury bug." Supporting small, local businesses without big marketing departments is the way to go.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Whether stuff is made in Guangzhou or Prato, doesn't make much difference really?

Dear MikeDT,

I don't understand your question in this context.
Your question concerns the difference between two places on Earth as place of manufacture.

The topic here is more complex. If you inspect the photos made by the Italian journalist, you see the workers work and live under certain conditions. Do you work under similar conditions where you are?

If I purchase trousers made in Italy sold by New & Lingwood, or pochettes made in Italy offered for sale by duchamp, how can I know or ascertain under what conditions these articles have been made?

Last edited:

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in America by Mexican workers

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Made in America by Mexican workers

Dear Mr Monty,

Your formulation is insufficient. I bought a Filson rucksack made in Seattle and Bill's Driving Twill trousers of imported cloth - Bill said German, but refused to say who in Germany - made in Pennsylvania, but under what for work condition I don't know. I suppose there must be NGO organizations that know this?

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear MikeDT,

I don't understand your question in this context.
Your question concerns the difference between two places on Earth as place of manufacture.

The topic here is more complex. If you inspect the photos made by the Italian journalist, you see the workers work and live under certain conditions. Do you work under similar conditions where you are?

You mean the parts about working 14 hours a day, sleeping in the factory, squalid conditions, improper or no documentation, evading taxes, smuggling, criminal gangs, etc. Yeh that sounds very much the same as where I am. Myself, I don't work under those conditions, but many do.

I just don't buy stuff from big name designer brands, period.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone read "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost it's Luster"? Good stuff..,

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of Filson workers...

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Speaking of Filson workers...

Dear Zippyh,

I didn't speak of Filson workers, I said I have not investigated the working conditions of those persons who made my Filson rucksack. So your theme is your own, not mine, and your photograph collection of Asian women at work on or displaying various Filson articles shows no relevance for my theme, unless you explain that these persons work in Seattle. Filson states that their rucksacks are made in Seattle, just as Filson declares many articles imported. I read that Washington legalized cannabis, and I have heard Paracelsus said the question is quantity of dosage. Cannabis in over dosage is not recommended for persons who must think, for example, calculate their income tax.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dear Naïve, Jr,

I have no idea wtf you are babbling about whenever you post. I assume that English is not your first language however I doubt that is the primary cause of your babbling.

Filson employs many Asian people in their Seattle factory.
The pictures are from an article in the Seattle Times several years ago.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You mean the parts about working 14 hours a day, sleeping in the factory, squalid conditions, improper or no documentation, evading taxes, smuggling, criminal gangs, etc. Yeh that sounds very much the same as where I am. Myself, I don't work under those conditions, but many do. I just don't buy stuff from big name designer brands, period.
Yes, I mean what the thread initiator posted, and it was not correctly represented by your reduction. Now you have decided to show you get the point by including the decisive content. But if you feel I misrepresent the intention of the thread initiator, you can ask him if I'm just interpreting too much into his problem. The Italian journalist took the trouble to have the social circumstances of these Chinese photographed. From what you write about your own situation, you sound quite privileged. You don't have to work under the conditions in which you assert to know many others do. They most likely don't have enough money to buy stuff from the big name brands. Language when written in indicative mood includes punctuation , but some sentences are in imperative or even in interrogative mood, requiring other signs of punctuation. For example: What is just?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads