1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Made in Italy by Chinese workers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by justsayno, Sep 13, 2010.

1. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

Finally, a thread the spammers can fully participate in!

I've discussed this on a different forum to some length years ago, I first remember the Chinese in that region back in 01/02?

Some people on here got so defensive when I called out "italian" quality.

The truth is China has been planning this for hundreds of years, there are columns of soldiers and tanks in the basements of Chinatown restaurants and stores in every country they're in (and they're in every country!). One day when you least (or most) expect it, they'll come out of their basements and take over the world!

2. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

The truth is China has been planning this for hundreds of years, there are columns of soldiers and tanks in the basements of Chinatown restaurants and stores in every country they're in (and they're in every country!). One day when you least (or most) expect it, they'll come out of their basements and take over the world!

[​IMG] I do believe that

3. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

4. Dudufrias

Dudufrias Well-Known Member

^^Not as far fetched as one might think...

5. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

This week's Monocle podcast has an interesting discussion on the 'Made In' claims.

6. meok

meok Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That's an Italian restaurant in Japan. </Captain Obvious>

7. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

i think most importantly is has the made in italy label

8. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

[​IMG]

Welcome to Wisconsin

9. fabiomassimo

fabiomassimo Member

Well, hello everybody, I am new here.
    As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
    Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
    I know a few of these, due to my job.
    Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
    Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.

10. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

[​IMG]

Welcome to Wisconsin

This is about AE, right?

11. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
    Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
    Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
    Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.

I think you completely missed the point of this thread...

12. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

Hello Fabio,

Yes, it's true there are plenty small factories still in operation. In fact, so many good are even made in people homes nowadays.

The problem is the big clothing brands that symbolize "made in italy" overseas, they used the small factories to establish their quality in the beginning, but now since they have their enormous marketing budgets to create an image instead of the actual products doing that, they even assist the sweatshops to some extent. In a case I'm thinking of, the brand advised the factory owner he should have "at least one good factory", and if they order more than he can make he can just subcontract the work. Of course, the order are always bigger than his capacity and the subcontracting is done in sweatshops. For the brands its "out of sight, out of mind". When and if some investigation turns up the use of sweatshops, the brand has the excuse that they didn't know where it was being made outside of the one factory.

Aside from the Chinese sweatshops, theres already plenty of clothing made elsewhere in central european countries, imported to add labels, then re-exported. Often times the label/tags are added at bonded customs warehouses doing value added work like adding the tags etc.

13. fabiomassimo

fabiomassimo Member

I think you completely missed the point of this thread...

Sorry if I did, I thought this thread was referring to the fact that many made in italy products may be made in Italy, but by immigrants. What was the point of the thread? [​IMG]

14. fabiomassimo

fabiomassimo Member

Hello Fabio,

Yes, it's true there are plenty small factories still in operation. In fact, so many good are even made in people homes nowadays.

The problem is the big clothing brands that symbolize "made in italy" overseas, they used the small factories to establish their quality in the beginning, but now since they have their enormous marketing budgets to create an image instead of the actual products doing that, they even assist the sweatshops to some extent. In a case I'm thinking of, the brand advised the factory owner he should have "at least one good factory", and if they order more than he can make he can just subcontract the work. Of course, the order are always bigger than his capacity and the subcontracting is done in sweatshops. For the brands its "out of sight, out of mind". When and if some investigation turns up the use of sweatshops, the brand has the excuse that they didn't know where it was being made outside of the one factory.

Aside from the Chinese sweatshops, theres already plenty of clothing made elsewhere in central european countries, imported to add labels, then re-exported. Often times the label/tags are added at bonded customs warehouses doing value added work like adding the tags etc.

Exactly, there was a special documentary about this on tv last year, showing how big brands like Gucci, Prada, Bottega veneta etc. are all doing this ...

15. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

very interesting read, thanks for sharing. i wonder when we'll see a movie adaptation of this story. it could be the international version of &quot;wall street&quot;

16. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Exactly, there was a special documentary about this on tv last year, showing how big brands like Gucci, Prada, Bottega veneta etc. are all doing this ...

So these really are for Chinese by Chinese [​IMG]

17. fabiomassimo

fabiomassimo Member

Well, yes ... I guess you could say that [​IMG]

18. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

almost split my sides as i rolled on the floor. when i read about a gentleman named &quot;Matteo&quot; Wong.

19. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

almost split my sides as i rolled on the floor. when i read about a gentleman named "Matteo" Wong.

It might have been Matteo Wongoni...[​IMG]

20. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

You're thinking of FUBU (for us by us).