Made in Italy by Chinese workers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by justsayno, Sep 13, 2010.

1. entrero

entrero Senior member

It's called racism in disguise. Similar in Africa, where Asian entrepreneurs are looking for market opportunities. Yet on CNN they blow it out of proportion, by saying the African community are badly treated. Africa has been exploited for centuries[think slavery?], so don't get me started.

2. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

Prato and prontomoda (low end pret-a-porter) have nothing to do with high level italian clothing and also with Tuscan leather industry (even if chinese sweatshops are making their way into it).

3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I recall an article from a couple of years back re some best restaurants in Rome are now heavily staffed by African migrants.

In the Italian section of the city I live in, many of the best Italian restaurants are owned and operated by Chinese.

4. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

This is nice. When in Rome, I'll speak Mandarin to order authentic local dishes [​IMG] It's time everyone starts learning Chinese.

5. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

Which people are those?

Where the phudge do you get shrimp wonton noodle soup for $5 a bowl? The line is always long, and even black people dig Chinese "goods".

6. Weich77

Weich77 Senior member

petit, on le sait deja

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think we should send Eye-talians to China to make suits.

9. entrero

entrero Senior member

Believe it or not, expertise is still important in this sector. I recall an article where an Italian designer looked everywhere(locally), he was not satisfied with the results and eventually resorted to chinese immigrants.

Want proof? There should some Filson production pics around. Also Langlitz Leathers(too hard-core for this forum) has an asian employee

10. winston

winston Senior member

Now it's time to send more Chinese to Mexico, Latin America, and wherever there are failed states. Italy will lose at least 15% of its aging workforce in the next few decades if not for immigration. Italian quality hasn't always been state of the art. Anything of quality can be found elsewhere, esp. in Asia today. Take a Colnago bicycle frame. You guys bought the rear stay triangle in Taiwan and welded it to the central triangle in Italy and called the entire product "made in Italy". Today, Taiwanese monocoque frames are lighter, cheaper, and more advanced then anything I've seen from Italy. So, the knife really cuts both ways. This "issue" is basically reverse colonization, what the whites have done to China and the rest of Asia for over 100 hundred years. Payback a biotch isn't it? [​IMG]
    I wasn't aware that Italy had colonized China. Are all Europeans just generic 'whites' to you? Must all Europeans suffer as some sort of penance for the perceived past misdeeds of others who might share their skintone?
    The immigrants are the last thing Italy should worry about. How can they worry about the small amount of immigrants when 80% of Italian businesses in Italy pay "mob/mafia tax"? The ironic thing is that illegals in Italy are also smuggled in by the mafia. [​IMG]
    On the contrary, while organized crime should be stamped out, immigration alters the demographics - and consequently the fundamental nature of a country - in a way which is all but impossible to undo. It would be an absolute crime if a country such as Italy became just another polyglot culture-void composed of multiple, competing racial groups for the sake of a few short-term gains by a tiny number of businessmen.

11. GBer

GBer Senior member

Which people are those?

Actually people already seek them out - be it quality or not. You can call it the "Wal-Mart" phenomenon.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

This is how pasta was introduced into the Veneto from the empire of the Great Khan.

So: old story.

- B

13. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

How much is a label that says Made in Italy worth? Apparently enough to warrant a Chinese invasion of a city in Italy.

Maybe you want a label that says "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIAN WORKERS" rather than "MADE IN ITALY BY CHINESE WORKERS"

Or do you prefer "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS WHO LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE"?

Is that better?

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Or do you prefer "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS WHO LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE"?

You do realize that the maker can still be ethnically Chinese and still fit the above criteria, right? [​IMG]

15. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

You do realize that the maker can still be ethnically Chinese and still fit the above criteria, right? [​IMG]

Of course I do. I was simply making a point.

Perhaps some people would be happier with this label: "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS WHO LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE AND NOT MADE BY CHINESE IMMIGRANTS, BE THEY LEGAL OR ILLEGAL, WHO MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE LEARNED THE SARTORIAL ARTS IN AN ITALIAN DESIGN SCHOOL UNDER THE MASTER TUTELAGE OF ITALIAN MASTER TAILORS WHO WERE BORN IN ITALY, LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE"?