• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MADE IN CHINA

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lots of BB shirts made in Malaysia, I don't think it's better than made in China.

who ******* cares your acne made in China? You return it because it's made in China, and that's not a rational decision after compare how it was manufactured.

You are just being a label whore of Made in Italy, which they can also be junk.

If someone pay a ******* low price of a Made in China item and expect it has excellent quality? Sorry you are just being greedy. I don't expect cheap made in Italy items has high quality. You get what you pay for, no matter where it was made. You are either pay for the brand, design, material, labor work, or just paying the premium: you get it earlier before others can get it. That's marketing.

Last edited:

lithdoc

Reaction score
I have same frustrations as the OP. While I understand that retailers are trying to save money by manufacturing for less, I find it offensive when BB put a $99 for $129 price on a MIC golf shirt, when it probably cost them <$5 to make that shirt. When you buy something Made in USA, at least you know that the workers that made it got a fair wage, while their Chinese counterpart's monthly wage is equal to American's two hour pay.

Few years ago, almost all BB blazers were Made in USA... Now - vast majority are made in Thailand. Prices are roughly the same. You make your own conclusions.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have same frustrations as the OP. While I understand that retailers are trying to save money by manufacturing for less, I find it offensive when BB put a $99 for $129 price on a MIC golf shirt, when it probably cost them <$5 to make that shirt. When you buy something Made in USA, at least you know that the workers that made it got a fair wage, while their Chinese counterpart's monthly wage is equal to American's two hour pay.
Few years ago, almost all BB blazers were Made in USA... Now - vast majority are made in Thailand. Prices are roughly the same. You make your own conclusions.

ask any American earning minimum wage if they think it's "fair".

pujuma

Reaction score
lol,i'll give it a read but the crux of my question is can i find out where a shirt or jacket is made before i buy it.................on line of course ?

To me, when it says "Imported" that means - in 90% case - China.

Now, to you - what if it's made in other emerging economy countries like Vietnam, India, Mexico, Thailand or (gasp) Haiti....?
would you feel different ?
I would because I believe China does better than all these other countries. Remember HK ? How it used to be the place where a shitload of clothings are amde ? well China now is like HK times 6865416574654.

Also I share your feeling. Polo RL baseline used to be mostly "Made in HK", now it's all China.

Last edited:

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The manufacturers charge high prices for products made in China for the simple reason that over time expensive Chinese goods will be the norm for their customer base. As a customer, avoid Chinese made as much as you can. When you take a bite of the forbidden apple (finding a nice Chinese cashmere scarf or silk pocket square), you'll lose that bias. It's like dating a someone out of your race for the first time. Sheryl Crow sings in one of her songs, "the first cut is the deepest" and it is true. The manufacturers know they charge high prices for something they got cheap, but they gamble on changing minds, for you to accept the norm when there are less suppliers of quality products.

lithdoc

Reaction score

ask any American earning minimum wage if they think it's "fair".

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. People who make garments through UNITE make ~$40-50k, much more than minimum wage. Acquisition cost of say, country club blazer vs. blazer made in Thailand for BB differs by an order of magnitude.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. People who make garments through UNITE make ~$40-50k, much more than minimum wage. Acquisition cost of say, country club blazer vs. blazer made in Thailand for BB differs by an order of magnitude.

Of course I don't - only you do.

OP: Who gives a ****? If you don't like it then don't buy it. Or, in your case, return it :D

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until there is a consensus on the definition of 'unfair' and who this unfairness should apply to, I call the unfairness argument utter B.S.
Is it unfair to pay Chinese workers less that what the workers in the US of A get paid? Or is it unfair to the good American manufacturing sector that lose out because manufacturing moved to a cheaper country? And is it really fair to enforce an American standard minimum wage on Chinese manufacturing and all those would-be-low-paid Chinese workers remain unemployed due to manufacturing completely moving off elsewhere? Or, as unlikely as it sounds because we're all such nice people, is it unfair to you because you feel that you are just paying that premium price where you know the apparent manufacturing costs are that much lower and that you are entitled to a share of the cost savings, regardless of the quality of the garment?

Or is it more of just challenging currently established views on where quality comes from, or just prejudice, or blind nationalism?

By the way, manufacturing moving out of China is very real and already happening, due to rapid growth in Chinese wages and especially minimum wage floors set by the government *gasp*, many companies are starting to believe China is becoming expensive.

The manufacturers charge high prices for products made in China for the simple reason that over time expensive Chinese goods will be the norm for their customer base. As a customer, avoid Chinese made as much as you can. When you take a bite of the forbidden apple (finding a nice Chinese cashmere scarf or silk pocket square), you'll lose that bias. It's like dating a someone out of your race for the first time. Sheryl Crow sings in one of her songs, "the first cut is the deepest" and it is true. The manufacturers know they charge high prices for something they got cheap, but they gamble on changing minds, for you to accept the norm when there are less suppliers of quality products.

Purchasing a high quality Chinese product some how leading to a flood of low quality product: please elaborate.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, when it says "Imported" that means - in 90% case - China.

Now, to you - what if it's made in other emerging economy countries like Vietnam, India, Mexico, Thailand or (gasp) Haiti....?
would you feel different ?
I would because I believe China does better than all these other countries. Remember HK ? How it used to be the place where a shitload of clothings are amde ? well China now is like HK times 6865416574654.

Also I share your feeling. Polo RL baseline used to be mostly "Made in HK", now it's all China.

Last time that I checked, HK is part of China. And before HK became part of China, they did employee a significant number of Chinese nationals, aka, American Apparel style. Made in downtown LA, by imported and not necessarily legal workers.

It is the corporate responsibility of the outsourcing companies to audit and control the quality of their outside manufacturers. if you thinik Made in China RL articles have bad quality, it is most likely due to RL Polo's lax quality control standard imposed on their Chinese manufacturers.

Or you are naive enough to believe that once manufacturing is outsourced, the outsourcing company is relieved of all supervisory and corporate responsibility of its own product?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hands up anyone who's reading this threak on a computer that was NOT made in China..

ME!!....anyone else

...as for clothes though, pretty much everything I've got was made in China, can't be helped sometimes.

Last edited:

Towers

Reaction score

There are times when I'd rather buy something manufactured in any third world country than by American apparel 'made in the U. S. of gay'

I cant tell if this is meant to be a dig at AA, gays, the U.S. or all three.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hands up anyone who's reading this threak on a computer that was NOT made in China..
ME!!....anyone else
...as for clothes though, pretty much everything I've got was made in China, can't be helped sometimes.

That is very hard to believe. I can't think of any computer that isn't made in China or has made in China components.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I think the point that the OP was trying to make that he doesn't want to pay a premium for clothing that's made somewhere with low labor costs. China is one of them, but so is Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Romania, Turkey, etc.

But yes, sometimes made in Italy doesn't always spell quality, but perception is also reality 99% of the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads