• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in China is now high end?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really can't start endorsing brands or I could get myself in trouble.

Why is that? (I am not familiar with your background here, could be asking something everyone else knows)

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The best china used to come from China. Now the best china is made in the EU or the US. How do you think that makes Chinese artisans feel?

TBH I thought they where all purged during The Cultural Revolution.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Here is an interesting article.

I had been under the impression that most LV bags are now made in China but "finished" in Paris. Can anyone else confirm that? This article strongly implies such.

I agree that things will change as the Made in Japan label went from disdain to respect in less than a generation.

There is also a book by Dana Thomas, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster which apparently sheds light on how many luxury brands produce significantly in Asia.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is also a book by Dana Thomas, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster which apparently sheds light on how many luxury brands produce significantly in Asia.

It's a good read, but it doesn't really spill on production details beyond what's now common knowledge -- at least in the negative sense (I do recall positive descriptions of cutting-edge production techniques at Hermes and Gucci that went into some detail).

That article you posted is one I've never seen before, and I appreciate its quoting relevant (Asian) industry figures, but apart from the quotes it's pretty much treading old ground.

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why is that? (I am not familiar with your background here, could be asking something everyone else knows)

I work for one of the major manufacturers so rather than giving what could be construed as an impartial endorsement or pan, it's better that I not comment at all.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work for one of the major manufacturers so rather than giving what could be construed as an impartial endorsement or pan, it's better that I not comment at all.

Fair enough. :)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TBH I thought they where all purged during The Cultural Revolution.

Ah, you are wise young grasshopper. I think they just starved when Mao told everyone to quit farming so much and melt all of the metal in your house in your home made smelter to somehow make steel. Oh, and kill all of those pesky sparrows as I think they are eating the seedcorn.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that you at the end of the video as well? That guy's suit doesn't look very nice with a stiff, flattened lapel. Also, how is the drawing in anyway useful? It was a very standard looking jacket and somewhat cartoonish (not in a bad way, but the drawing wasn't like a blueprint)... how could it be used for anything?

Asian Afro

Reaction score

Have you encountered or heard of Chinese garment manufacturers which unilaterally change the way garments are made in order to reduce their costs? I read Paul Midler's Poorly Made in China and his stories made me wonder whether garment factories might pull the same trick.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Asian Afro

Reaction score

How about this: At what price point are well-made Chinese suits being sold in North America? Or are they sold at all price points and it is really up to the buyer to determine the quality? Are there Chinese-made suits that are better than a non-Chinese made suit at a similar or higher price point?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you encountered or heard of Chinese garment manufacturers which unilaterally change the way garments are made in order to reduce their costs? I read Paul Midler's Poorly Made in China and his stories made me wonder whether garment factories might pull the same trick.

I've read that book as well, it's quite an insight. Maybe those supposedly pure wool suits, might not be so 'pure', may have a little polyester content? A little bit less stitching holding it all together?

Last edited:

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read that book as well, it's quite an insight. Maybe those supposedly pure wool suits, might not be so 'pure', may have a little polyester content? A little bit less stitching holding it all together?

You live in China so you know it is quite possible. There are two terms known by insiders: "all wool" which means "almost pure wool", and "pure wool" which means 100% wool.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is how Chinese suits are made
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
why do they have so many white people in China?

I suppose if a manufacturer can find a way to use machine stiching in lieu of gluing/fusing, that would change the perception of mass-produced suits, or at least close the gap?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads