1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Made in China is now high end?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pantisocrat, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

Well, I haven't shopped in a physical store in ages. I just visited a handful of established stores, Brooks Brothers, Zegna, Burberry, Neiman Marcus, Wilkes Bashford, etc. etc...all now have significant stocks made there, all at prices made to tease me. What seems strange to me is the inverse relations between cost of labor and price tag. BB has these Chinese made wool duffle coats starting at $600 USD, which is 3x more than new Gloverall duffles on ebay. Tsk Tsk Tsk. :) In conclusion, it's difficult to find high end Chinese made goods online but it's infinitely easier to find affordable apparels made in the West. What is becoming more apparent to me over the years is the improved quality in Chinese made products. These BB duffles are extremely well made, so perhaps the price is worth it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Emulations

Emulations Well-Known Member

Chinese made and 'High End' in the same sentence? That is a no no. The only thing high end about your $600, made in China coat, is the price.

3. aperson

aperson Well-Known Member

There have always been high end things made in China.

There are terrible things made in Europe and America.

The average quality of things coming out of countries with reasonable labor and environmental practices tends to be better though.

4. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Labor cost in mainland China has been doubled in the past two years so I am afraid people can no longer enjoy cheap MIC stuffs.
    By the way, you can get sth cheap or you can get sth high-end, but you can't find cheap and high-end stuff anywhere in the world.

5. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

The Chinese can make both good and bad clothing. If they are commissioned and paid well, they'll make whatever you want to whatever standard (as will people from most any country). America makes loads of cheap crap and there's probably more tags being made in Italy than actual clothes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I'm still biased. I see the Made in China label and i put it back on the rack.

7. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

I have a slight bias. I expect most clothing to be made in China, and I fully support the use of inexpensive clothes. However, when I go somewhere such as Nordstroms and see 'made in China' on $300+ items, it vexes me a little inside (even though I know it makes absolutely no difference).

8. swiego

swiego Senior member

I suspect we are headed into a world where impeccably constructed garments are made in China, and Italy becomes one's source for the "minor defects bring character" stuff.

9. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

some china made products are quite good actually but the sad truth is you rarely see products "made in usa" nowadays. and the reality is commercialization forced businesses to outsource their business to china or even other countries with cheaper labor costs.

10. meister

meister Senior member

What gets me is that we (Australia and elsewhwere in the West) sacrificed out manufacturing industry to to offshore our jobs to the PRC . Many sellers have chosen to use the PRC as a way of selling crap/inferior stuff for the same price as they used to charge for well made local stuff. As my alterations guy said to me "they start with poor quality thread on the shirts" and the rest is history.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Determining the quality of a garment takes more work than reading what country it was supposedly made in. Not only are there some well-made garments being made in China, but the WTO's rules of origin for clothing is so convoluted and ridiculous that the "made in" label has lost much of its meaning anyway.

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    these 2

13. iroh

iroh Senior member

this is how Chinese suits are made

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

why do they have so many white people in China?

14. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I as well. By no means am I saying that the Chinese aren't capable of producing great things, but you have to realize that an Italian (for example) maker's motivation to move production to China is purely profit driven. Sometimes the quality is equal, but either way the price somehow remains the same.

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist