• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men tumblers

borderline

Reaction score
I can't drink at work, but Mad Men inspired me to get some new barware for home. These are the glasses they always bust out at the office:

I found these on eBay, purported to be from the 60's, I thought they were a good match:

Still looking for some good vintage martini glasses...

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you notice, the martini glasses are much smaller than the behemoths they have today. Probably like 6 ounces instead of 11 or whatever those things are. The last episode where Duck gets back on/off (?) the wagon has some great examples.

I've looked but haven't found acceptably small martini glasses.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the Mad Men glasses, but those you posted are very nice.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
If you notice, the martini glasses are much smaller than the behemoths they have today. Probably like 6 ounces instead of 11 or whatever those things are. The last episode where Duck gets back on/off (?) the wagon has some great examples.

I've looked but haven't found acceptably small martini glasses.

I have also been unsuccessful finding smaller martini glasses. This place has some interesting vintage pieces:

http://barkeepersilverlake.com/Default.asp?c=164957

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
If you notice, the martini glasses are much smaller than the behemoths they have today. Probably like 6 ounces instead of 11 or whatever those things are. The last episode where Duck gets back on/off (?) the wagon has some great examples. I've looked but haven't found acceptably small martini glasses.
Yep, that's why they were able to have multiple martini lunches back then and still be semi-productive at work. The times I've tried to have a 3 martini lunch with the giant glasses we have these days, I end up sitting at work looking at my screen.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Yep, that's why they were able to have multiple martini lunches back then and still be semi-productive at work. The times I've tried to have a 3 martini lunch with the giant glasses we have these days, I end up sitting at work looking at my screen.

How is that different from your other days at work?
laugh.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
How is that different from your other days at work?
laugh.gif

I'm usually looking at work related stuff, but after an attempted 3 martini lunch, it's usually NWS stuff.
laugh.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend has the exact same set of glasses at his apartment.

Not my style exactly, but they're rather nice looking in person.

AgentQ

Reaction score
What did you search for to find those glasses?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
x2, I've broken most of my glasses and need something new to swig my Fighting Cock in.

Broken all your glasses? Perhaps you should swig more gently!
fight[1].gif

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
What did you search for to find those glasses?

Hmm. I don't remember exactly, but I think I put in 1960's and possibly tumbler. I also remember that they were labeled "Eames".

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Broken all your glasses? Perhaps you should swig more gently!
fight[1].gif

Nah, they mostly broke when I was only mildly buzzed and when the old lady was working in the kitchen. Only a few were from me throwing them at her. Silly dames should learn to be gentler with the hands.....and with the teeth.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads