• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Tie

Reaction score
Where might I find ties like this? Is there a certain name for them?

Forgive only Don Draper images. I've not seen ties with asymmetric patterns or emblazonments like this anywhere else.

Also, my first post! I have a feeling I'll be a fairly active member here.

Nathan5653

Reaction score
I think most people in the Classic Menswear section aren't huge fans of the skinny tie, and I haven't seen many standard-length ties having asymmetrical patterns before. But if I remember correctly, I think Banana Republic may have had a Mad Men collection not too long ago. It's possible that they might have it.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the skinny tie either. I just like the pattern/emblazonment. I'll have a look to see if Banana Republic has any of the designs I like--thanks.

McBindle

Reaction score
These can be found in droves at thrift stores or have a look around ebay. I just used the search term "vintage skinny tie" and it produced 2900+ results ranging from $0.99 up (and one lot of 4 for $23.99). Good luck!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also, my first post! I have a feeling I'll be a fairly active member here.
If this is the case, in a few months you'll be regretting the purchase of such a tie. Nothing wrong with a skinny tie if worn correctly, but asymmetric patterns...are...erm...far from timeless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I enjoy the first tie but looking at these again, the second and maybe third are not very nice at all. I'm not going to buy such a tie any time soon due to my strict budget anyway. I'll reassess when I have a better idea or more educated opinion. I found the company that supplies the ties for the series: http://www.thetiebar.com

I haven't looked at their range or researched the quality yet but I have a feeling they're cheaply made.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What do you want/need the ties for and how much are you willing to spend?

With that information, you'll get quite a few helpful suggestions as to wear to start purchasing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads