1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Imhoff, Feb 11, 2013.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Ken is a master of the Tao.

2. kryptonite1

kryptonite1 New Member

Love the thread. Happy to discuss Mad Men intelligently anytime.

Just a couple thoughts on Season 6 so far:

Funny still watching Pete emerge into his own confidently from 9a - 5p while clumsily making mistakes post business hours (Trudy, Don - i.e my apt is open to you if you ever need it - LOL how fast Don shut down that half ass we're "friends" gesture

Everybody including myself seems to be enjoying more Stan but I'd also include Dawn. I'm liking her character and experiences being fleshed out more. A working black woman trying to navigate within two worlds (her friends and life uptown vs. work) and trying to find a mate.

Absolutely loved Ken checking Ben I wonder if the writing days are over and he's all business now and Harry while going over the line at Joan.

Kinda over Don's affair already while Roger is Roger (my fav character) looks like the season is gaining momentum with Heinz vinegar and beans lost. Can't wait for more

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Stan cracks me up. He reminds me of Zach Galifianakis with his new look.

4. gort

gort Senior member

I loved Pete Campbell offering don his bachelor sex pad and Don's smug dismissal of the notion he'd need Pete's place to get some honey on his stinger.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am finding the Dawn character too contrived. Her development is not very organic nor very subtle.

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I think it's definitely the case of "white people writing scenes for black characters" that is causing the issues with Dawn.

Overall I like her and am rooting for her.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am afraid her character arc is ramping up into an Obama type "teachable moment" conclusion. I will never enjoy MM quite as much if they do that.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Dunno, if a man can write women characters, I don't see why a white guy writing a black character would be a problem. Blacks aren't aliens (as of today's news anyway).

Don't care for Dawn's story line so far but we'll see where it goes.

I thought Harry was on point calling out Joan's advancement.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Not saying they can't do it, but it's certainly going to be harder to come across as natural and believable.

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It seems more like they're trying to cram a story line involving blacks in the show somehow.

12. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

The show has always done really well with incorporating social issues (divorce, hippies, the war, consumerism, etc.) and it's no surprise that they're working a civil rights angle into the 60s.

13. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

The show has always done really well with incorporating social issues (divorce, hippies, the war, consumerism, etc.) and it's no surprise that they're working a civil rights angle into the 60s.

14. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

• If the teachable moment involves Dawn taking Ginsberg to her friend's Harlem wedding, count me 100% in.It would be great if they got into advertising for Nixon '68.
    • Could cover counter-culture vs. reactionaries from the under-covered reactionary side and wrap in Henry & Betty. The new bootlicker dude looks exactly like a Nixon campaign aide, for good measure.

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm still waiting for this season to take off. Sunday was another let-down.

16. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

what do you mean by Obama type teachable moment?

17. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, I'm confused how anyone is confused by this too...I guess if you don't recognize JWT as an agency (they are...maybe the biggest in the US? definitely top 3), it might be a bit harder to pick up, but it seemed pretty obvious that they were showing up at the bar for the same reason as Don.

18. otc

otc Senior member

I think it really goes to show that Peggy and Don were a good team.

They were really both keying in on the same idea--Heinz = Ketchup, Ketchup = Heinz. Don's idea was probably more compelling, but they clearly wanted the bottle and peggy gave them the bottle. There might be something at play with the Ketchup guy wanting to be clear that it is *his* Heinz product that is being advertised and the combined powers of Peggy and Don might have figured that out.

Maybe a two page set, spaced a page or two apart in a magazine, first page has Don's ad with "Something's Missing" and the followup page has Peggy's ad with "There's the Heinz"

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Ted's line of "Mind if we join the Lonely Hearts Club?" was a dead giveaway for me.

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

"Should we fire him before he cashes in the check?"