1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Imhoff, Feb 11, 2013.

1. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Yeah, you're pretty much shit outta luck now.

2. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Wrong time of year anyway - getting warmer -- more Autumn / winter...

3. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

Maybe its a little meta, but I kind of like that Matthew Weiner has written himself into his show as Ted Chaough. Its interesting that an episode featuring the way Ted looks when he's working with his female mentee was one of the few written by someone else.

Even better: everyone was worried about what discovering what a scumbag her father was would do to Sally Draper; it killed her soul and turned her into her mother! Another way that the character development on this show is always surprising but usually makes perfect sense in hindsight.

4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ What do you mean re: Matthew Weiner? Is the character of Ted based on him in some way?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member

great episode. not sure if bob is gay or just opportunistic, like the dude in the matt damon movie. either way, i imagine he speaks spanish because he worked as a male nurse and probably amongst other spanish speaking male nurses. even if only to add intrigue to his character it was worth weiner putting it in there. (inbr4ayo!)

interesting with sally, she is quick on her feet, and it seems instead of her picking up her fathers man whore trait, she grabbed the manipulation trait. good choice. i was glad they did not end up having her boan some teenager or worse.

i think the line of the night, after the "made me grab his balls" line, was, "my father never gave me anything." this does not bode well for don, but his reent sleeping with betty definitely helps his side of the leverage game.

i still hate pete, but he played his cards well on this one with bob.

im really not sure dons move with the aspirin ad was the wrong thing to do. ted and peggy were really far gone. i guess he could have done it in a less painful way. hard to tell.

tension mounting between don and megan, curious to see where that leads.

burt cooper is awesome.

6. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

Yeh. I meant that Ted is Weiner's fictionalized version of himself.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Don's move with the ad...

On one hand, it sure screws over Ted's handling of Peggy. It also really pisses Peggy off. But, it did save the client. 50k on a 15k budget is not just over-budget, its broken and relationship ending if it hadn't been stopped in the middle of casting.

Was there another way to do it? I don't know. Don may not care much for others, but I'd like to think he would not feel great about fucking up Peggy's great add and shot at the Cleo. Even for selfish reasons, the firm winning a Cleo (especially on work that was done for a smaller client, not some big-money flashy one) would be a very good thing for everyone. Ted clearly was losing it in the meeting; he simply was not going to convince the client, so maybe Don's idea was the best thing that came to him.

2 people like this.
  8. in stitches

that is exactly what i thought. don can be brutal when it comes to the agency, like with lane, and its probably about his control too, but he does seem to care about the agency. well, sometimes.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Think don handlers that meeting brilliantly.

50k on 15k budget is ridiculous and Ted's judgement was completely blinded by peggy.

Was a good move to wake up Ted while saving the client relationship at the same time.

If Ted hasnt been chasing Peggy around I doubt Don will kill Ocean Spray relationship for money.

10. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

+1000

Ted was a complete amateur in that scene and once again, everyone in that meeting was dead silent. If it had gone on any longer, the relationship would've been done.

In the process, however, Don lost the only other "daughter" he had outside of his personal life: Peggy. I still don't understand why people are up in arms about what Don did; it was a harsh, but necessary move. Peggy saying "You can stop now" was another way of telling Don to stop kicking Ted.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

What? No...since when?

Also, did anyone else lol that Don was drinking Tropicana OJ at home?

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

With more than a shot of whatever alcohol that was in his glass flask...

Maybe that's the invention of screwdriver!!

13. jhilla

jhilla Senior member

Not to mention everyone else in the office was starting to take notice of how blatantly obvious the Peggy / Ted situation had gotten. Ted is kinda falling apart.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Bob and Manolo were "together'? In the scene where Pete calls Bob out (although I hate Pete his strategy here was pretty smart), Bob says that "Manolo isn't interested in woman". I kinda got the feeling that he was saying that they were together and that would explain why Bob was hablar español en el teléfon, no?

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

IIRC, the dialogue was such that it sounded like Bob was speaking to someone about Manolo?

15. otc

otc Senior member

When he calls Manolo (presumably to tell him to bump into Pete's mom), he speaks English right? Maybe I just read the subtitles, but I thought he said outloud something like "I know she's a nice woman"

16. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

He's telling Manolo to use Pete's mom's infatuation with him to get her to put some pressure on Pete.

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

i thought he was talking to manolo, and the subtitles were hilarious. interesting theory about him and manolo, jhilla. seems very plausible to me.

i wonder what this don/ted will bring and if ted will totally lose it. he seems to be on the brink as it is. don seems to loom large over him, even more so in his mind than in actuality. interesting, because right before the merger he was pwning don and full of confidence. seems that going from competitor to partner was a turn for the worse for ted.

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Glen's creepy factor has been reduced greatly.

Wasn't the Tropicana thing really out of Don's control at this point? He told Harry Crane to kill it, but when Tropicana came back with a proposal he has a fiduciary duty to his partners to submit the offer to them - assuming that he did and not Harry.

I don't really agree with how Don handled the cost overrun issue. Weren't the horses out of the barn at that point - they were already way over budget, no? Seems like the thing to do would have been talk to the other partners about it and reach consensus on how to deal with it - either internalize the cost overrun because it's really great work and will benefit the company or have a sit down with the client and try to get them to approve the overage. In any event that meeting shouldn't have been used as an attempt to "teach" Ted a lesson.

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

well, maybe not the right time and place. but ted did need a strong message, not one he could easily ignore. he and peggy were like 2 teenagers. was absurd for a parter in an ad agency to act like that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  20. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1. Also think it was better for Don to update the client rather than sending them a huge unexpected bill after they finished the commercial. "We have this great idea but it's going to cost much more than we were planning" is a way better message than "Costs ran way overboard, but don't worry, it's worth it."