1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Imhoff, Feb 11, 2013.

1. landshark

landshark Senior member

From wikipedia:

"Introduced by AT&T in 1963, the Touch-Tone system using the telephone keypad..."

Looks like it's not an anachronism after all.

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Perhaps but still unlikely that they'd have one mounted on the wall in their kitchen.

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

Disagree, he and Megan are pretty modern people. As a wealthy NY executive, he'd probably be one of the people who had it early on especially since It is 1968ish now.

1 person likes this.
  4. otc

otc Senior member

They moved in and had their place fully decorated in a very modern style all since the touchtone phone was available.

Their TV has a remote control.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I thought it was great. Nice to see Don get his shit thrown back at his face. Very fun episode. Thought the Benson/Campbell scene was awkward - I didn't get why Benson was suddenly coming on to Pete (at least that's what it seemed like).

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

finally saw it.

agree that this whole competition is mostly in teds head, but i have to believe don is no fool and he knows what is going on, and maybe even feeding it, intentionally or not.

dons little "talk" with sally was beyond pathetic. he was completely lost when he was chasing her and ended up in the lobby, and that little talk was just so weak sauce. not very don draper-ish. sally seemed to me to have completely lost whatever respect she may have had left for him.

lol @ petes mom calling him a "sour boy and sour man" and "unlovable." sums him up 100% for me since his first episode.

1 person likes this.
  7. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

There's a line between abusing alcohol and being an alcoholic (at least, I hope there is). Don needing to go straight to a bar to get stumbling drunk definitely crosses that line.

8. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

You know though, that Don has a kind of split personality, the one being the hard-assed exec and the other being the pant-pissing insecure Dick Whitman? He has shown the Whitman personality a few times now. When he got caught by Sally it was similar to being almost caught by the g-men a few seasons back, when SC tried to score the Nixon campaign. He completely lost it back then, relying on Pete to clean up the mess.

9. in stitches

^^ that is a good point, and i think even besides those times, it comes out in small doses, like when sylvia dumped him. ^^

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

On the one hand, I do think Don gets away with too much and it works very well to see something get thrown back at him. On the other hand, having his daughter walk in on him and Sylvia, awkward and uncomfortable, especially for Sally. She hasn't really done anything to deserve having to see that.

11. archibaldleach

+1. Don's extreme hard-ass alpha executive personality was probably built over time and probably depends at least partly on him being in a position of strength. When he's succeeding in advertising, becoming a partner, charming and seducing women, or even sees opportunity (pursuing a client or getting the job from Roger way back when), you see that side of him. When he's getting shot at in Korea, getting dumped or is otherwise completely screwed, you see the other side.

12. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

That's how most, if not all, control freaks behave. My sister-in-law is the same way and has this hard-ass exterior she displays to the world but as soon as something is beyond her control and she can't do anything about it she totally melts down and turns into a fucking mess. Serious juvenile shit with those people.

With Don I'm not even sure it's as much about strength as it is being in control. His childhood flashbacks show how incredibly chaotic everything around him was and his entire adult life is centered around needing to control the situation even if he causes chaos for everyone around him.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  13. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Let's not forget her walking in on Roger getting head from Megan's mom. Poor kid.

14. in stitches

she was born to a shitty family of tv people.

also, what is dons obsession with sylvia. when she picked up the phone and he realized he could bang her more, his ORLY face almost knocked me off the bed laughing.

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

This. I didn't really get the sense that Don was helping the kid out to get back in her good graces, but when she let that slip it was back on.

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Relax, Sally isn't a real person that will wind up on a street corner because of this.

1 person likes this.
  17. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I've also noticed that they purposefully show the TV that Don has as being a color television whereas almost everyone else in the show has an old B&W.

18. archibaldleach

Thank you for playing master of the obvious. I'm pretty sure everyone watching Man Men knows that they are not real people. Part of a well written show with good acting IMO, however, is that it can make the viewer feel uncomfortable when the characters would feel uncomfortable. That's what I was getting at with my initial comment about the scene being uncomfortable. I don't think enjoying seeing Don get shit thrown back in his face really negates the scene being uncomfortable and uncomfortable is not always a bad thing either.

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

i really do think he did it from the kindness of his heart.

throughout the series don has done quite a few things for people who had no one else to help them, or stood up for what was right. the 2 most notable examples were being there when peggy was having a baby and joan having to boan the fat disgusting jaguar guy (that scene where you dont find that don was too late til the end was amazing. so well done imo).

despite his personal issues and flaws, he does have a firm barometer of right and wrong and a soft spot in his heart for helping out people who need it when he can. it is i think, his most redeeming quality.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

WTF? This is NOT a historical drama and these characters are fucking fictional? :confused: