• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody catch the line from Megan about Don "Jumping off the balcony"... Some subtext or foreshadowing perhaps?

Also, agreed with others saying it was a great episode.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He tried
I understand what you are saying but I do not believe you are considering the whole picture. Let's use your thesis of "a father will swim through burning **** to protect his daughter." So how do you protect Trudy in this case? Personally, I would smack Peter and tell him to stop as my first set of actions. At the very least I would have a conversation with him albeit a heated one. If the goal was to actually protect my daughter I would not as my first actions:

a) Sever business ties with my SIL
b) Necessarily tell my daughter, as this is 100% bound to hurt her, without first seeing if I could personally get the SIL to stop
c) Expose my daughter to knowing her father is a whoremonger with a kink
d) Pile on the shame of the mother to the daughter when it becomes known daddy is a whoremonger

Can you explain how any of those points follows your thesis? IMO, none do and all would seem to be purpose built to cause her harm...or to force the issue as I'm wondering.

Really, if the goal is protection of Trudy, this guy should win a prize in bad strategy.

He combined a and b and won. He was searching for a reason to crush Pete, which he did by severing business ties. That SHOULD have led Pete to manning up and accepting that as the punishment while both would live with the 'incident' without further repercussions. It would be assumed Pete would cut the whoring, too.

The truth being exposed to Trudy is solely on Pete and his inability to accept responsibility for his actions. There was no need to expose the whoring and now that he has, Trudy is gone for good and she's not going to believe (nor really care about) what he says about her dad because he has zero credibility with her now. It's almost a bonus point for dad's plan.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

He tried
He combined a and b and won. He was searching for a reason to crush Pete, which he did by severing business ties. That SHOULD have led Pete to manning up and accepting that as the punishment while both would live with the 'incident' without further repercussions. It would be assumed Pete would cut the whoring, too.

The truth being exposed to Trudy is solely on Pete and his inability to accept responsibility for his actions. There was no need to expose the whoring and now that he has, Trudy is gone for good and she's not going to believe (nor really care about) what he says about her dad because he has zero credibility with her now. It's almost a bonus point for dad's plan.

I will assume the FIL has met Peter before that night, and given that, the FIL should know that's not how Pete operates. Peter accept responsibility? Come now! Also, it's not like Peter owns SCPD. Did the FIL really think Peter would not expose to his cronies about the whorehouse run in? I mean, the FIL is an old school boy too and no doubt has had whores bought for him by other ad agencies in his long career...how could he not figure Peter would not tell his partners he lost this huge account in a whorehouse?

I was just tossing the "wants to be outed" idea in, and can see what you all are saying, but if that's true the FIL is far too stupid to have become nouveau riche which is exactly what he is. Maybe the FIL wanted both to end Trudy's marriage and out himself?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, what I like about TV shows is (to me) it seems like they constantly juxtapose characters, themes etc and this season and end of last season the "Mad Men" crew have really tried to show how Pete wants to be Don so badly but is an utter failure at it.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got around to watching the latest episode. All of the female leads -- aside from Betty -- were given time to shine in this episode. From Joan telling Don off to Peggy finding out about the merger, great performances all around.

I might of missed it but why is this guy getting screen time lately:

yYdzdPY.png

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got around to watching the latest episode. All of the female leads -- aside from Betty -- were given time to shine in this episode. From Joan telling Don off to Peggy finding out about the merger, great performances all around.

I might of missed it but why is this guy getting screen time lately:

yYdzdPY.png

He's a new character and they are trying to trick us into believing he's always been there.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
Maybe Pete is going to jump off the balcony and Grinning Coffee Guy is going to take his place.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe Pete is going to jump off the balcony and Grinning Coffee Guy is going to take his place.

We have the foreshadowing from when Pete threw the roast chicken (turkey?) Trudy made over the balcony...

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always figured Pete's stupid rifle would somehow factor into a death on the show.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watching Don instantly recognize Coffee Guy's shtick and just walk right past him was hilarious.

JilSlander

Reaction score
I liked that episode. I wonder what was going on in that final scene when Don was sitting on the bed...what was he thinking?

He tuned her out and only focused on her mouth.

I think that's enough to understand what he was thinking.

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the RFK scene, because if you remember, Betty and Dons relationship ended (or began to) around the JFK shooting.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee guy is white knighting Joan. Will be swimming in humongous ginger boobs soon I think.

Don making doc's wife his whore -- I saw that not lasting. Talk about a power play on his part though.

Pete chair scene in the meeting was funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads