• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

KenRose

Reaction score
Yea, I guess your right in that i wouldn't understand; I'm Canadian so maybe just lacking that context. Rember the beer summit but not specifics, I do remember seeing both sides of that argument, most of us in Canada don't understand how every incident seems to be linked to race.
Sorry if I mistook you as a big republican, I had remembered some of your posts from current events thread and drew that conclusion. Anyways, back to mad men, I don't think that will happen. I remember Lane wanting to be open with his playboy gf and her not wanting any part of it, can't remember the Hari Krishna guys name but also remember his gf and living in Newark and people rightly characterizing him as someone who just wants to be seen as liberal.
I think they will be dealing with the social rights movement because of the time, but I will also be disappointed if Ginsberg goes to the wedding. I loved that episode with Peggie staring at her purse
I am not a big Republican. In fact, I am anything but a Republican as they really do not appreciate atheist, libertine, immigrants that want some form of universal healthcare and think gays should be able to accrue the same legal relationship rights as breeders. The fact you think I am tells me my original reply was probably pretty on point but I shall try to explain against my best judgement. An Obama "teachable moment" is where blame is displaced and you condescendingly tell us how the culpable party is really not to blame and you would understand that if you just had the right perspective. A great example would be the "Beer Summit."

KenRose

Reaction score
Yea, I guess your right in that i wouldn't understand; I'm Canadian so maybe just lacking that context. Rember the beer summit but not specifics, I do remember seeing both sides of that argument, most of us in Canada don't understand how every incident seems to be linked to race.
Sorry if I mistook you as a big republican, I had remembered some of your posts from current events thread and drew that conclusion. Anyways, back to mad men, I don't think that will happen. I remember Lane wanting to be open with his playboy gf and her not wanting any part of it, can't remember the Hari Krishna guys name but also remember his gf and living in Newark and people rightly characterizing him as someone who just wants to be seen as liberal.
I think they will be dealing with the social rights movement because of the time, but I will also be disappointed if Ginsberg goes to the wedding. I loved that episode with Peggie staring at her purse
I am not a big Republican. In fact, I am anything but a Republican as they really do not appreciate atheist, libertine, immigrants that want some form of universal healthcare and think gays should be able to accrue the same legal relationship rights as breeders. The fact you think I am tells me my original reply was probably pretty on point but I shall try to explain against my best judgement. An Obama "teachable moment" is where blame is displaced and you condescendingly tell us how the culpable party is really not to blame and you would understand that if you just had the right perspective. A great example would be the "Beer Summit."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'm Canadian. Lulz. Just think Ontario and Quebec every time race in the US comes up. Or even First Nations.

Oh, and "both sides" tells me I was right. You lip off to a cop you get arrested. At least, that's always how it worked in Canada when I was growing up. Has that changed?

So, to MM, I hope we do not get beat over the head with some apparent and ready truth with the writing staff thinking they've been "socially conscious" or something. Completely agree with the Krishna guy dating a black girl just to seem liberal and that's sort of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, and "both sides" tells me I was right. You lip off to a cop you get arrested. At least, that's always how it worked in Canada when I was growing up. Has that changed?

Actually, I reserve the right to lip off to a cop when I'm in my own house and not wanted for arrest. Of course, I would probably also be willing to show the cop my ID to prove I lived there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Actually, I reserve the right to lip off to a cop when I'm in my own house and not wanted for arrest. Of course, I would probably also be willing to show the cop my ID to prove I lived there.

Well, if I remember correctly, it was not quite that simple. The good professor had just returned from a trip and had to force entry into his own house. This triggered someone to call 911 about a B&E and the police were responding to that. So while I also reserve the right to lip off to the cop, even under such circumstances, I will not be surprised when I get obnoxious and continue to harangue him as he walks away if I end up with ****** hauled down to the station. It might not be 100% "right" but it sure as **** is not a "teachable moment" unless you're an idiot.

Last edited:

KenRose

Reaction score
not wanting to prolong an argument, especially not wanting to turn this into current events thread, but just because I said I saw both sides of the issues DOES NOT mean you were right. In fact, you make my point in your next post here. There WERE other issues, and you highlight them. Could there have been a racial element to the 911 call about a black guy breaking into a house? There could have. Did the professor see himself being harassed because he was black? Yes. Was he right? Not in this case.
Yea, the beer summit occurred because Obama commented (wrongly) on something that he shouldn't have. It was saving face for him only. Who gives a ****. I doubt it would be brought into Mad Men. I liked that Krishna guy was called out because he didn't date a girl who happened to be black, he dated a girl BECAUSE she was black. Trying to prove that he was progressive. I thought the writers did a great job in showing how shallow he was. Also showed how naive Lane was with his chick, and the reality was that he just hated his life and wanted something so artificial that it would cause him to reinvent his life. Really don't see the writers doing a 180 and trying to create two characters do something that wasn't correct for the times.

I'm Canadian. Lulz. Just think Ontario and Quebec every time race in the US comes up. Or even First Nations.

So, to MM, I hope we do not get beat over the head with some apparent and ready truth with the writing staff thinking they've been "socially conscious" or something. Completely agree with the Krishna guy dating a black girl just to seem liberal and that's sort of what I'm talking about.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can someone tell me what transpired to show that Harry Crane is banging his secretary? I missed that.

Girl that finked to joan said she couldn't find Scarlett or Harry all afternoon. Thats what made made joan flip out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Anyway...still hope the Dawn character does not create a cringeworthy moment due to heavy handed writing. I still feel it's headed that way and only time will tell.

I have to admit I missed Crane was banging his secretary. I hope he does not get away with crossing Joan without ramifications as this tends to happen quite often. Off the top of my head, and if I remember correctly, both Peggy and Meagan had earned Joan's ire.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not clear that he is. The chick was trying not to say the secretary was off shopping so she invoked Harry's name in the excuse. I think Harry was more pissed at the lack of respect by Joan firing his secretary without checking with him first. Hence the quick segway to wanting in on the partnership when he complained in the partners meeting.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just realized Crane is the Conne of Mad Men. Does nothing but eat, complain to his bosses, and bang his underlings (allegedly?).

Last edited:

KenRose

Reaction score
I don't think he was. I think the fink girl just said she couldn't find the secretary to announce crane's guest, you see him walk by with the guest right then. I hated Crane's tantrum in the office, and while his character gives entertainment i find him the most slimy, at least Pete and Don and the rest have a few redeeming qualities
Anyway...still hope the Dawn character does not create a cringeworthy moment due to heavy handed writing. I still feel it's headed that way and only time will tell.

I have to admit I missed Crane was banging his secretary. I hope he does not get away with crossing Joan without ramifications as this tends to happen quite often. Off the top of my head, and if I remember correctly, both Peggy and Meagan had earned Joan's ire.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apart from being good at their jobs (which Harry is), I don't see any redeeming qualities of Don and Pete.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's not clear that he is. The chick was trying not to say the secretary was off shopping so she invoked Harry's name in the excuse. I think Harry was more pissed at the lack of respect by Joan firing his secretary without checking with him first. Hence the quick segway to wanting in on the partnership when he complained in the partners meeting.

That's what I figured. If she was banging Harry, wouldn't she have said that Harry asked her to do something and assumed that he would cover for her?

Maybe she is still banging him, but she was probably gone shopping in the episode (and wasn't Harry off at a secret meeting?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads