1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Didn't Pete call Don "Dick" when the sink faucet started leaking?

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is this the last season or is that predicted to be next year? I ask given that Dick Whitman thing above. I always get the feeling the series ends on a very final note and not well for Don.

3. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

...that had to be the best Mad Men episode ever!

"Grimey little pimp!"

4. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

"Mr. Campbell, you and I are going to address that insult."

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  5. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I saw that. But even though I saw him on Fringe first, Jared Harris is to me Lane Pryce now. He's done a good job embodying the character.

I thought that was a slip. But then last season Sterling asked Joan where "Mr. Holloway" was. Then again, Sterling doesn't care about people's spouses. Honestly, I think his immediate peers are okay with it now. Whitman is whatever he made Don Draper into.

Sixth season for sure, I think there was an option for seven. The rumour was Weiner wanted it to end with a shot of Draper in the present day - whatever he will be. It's looking rather like Campbell will be the one falling off the building right after or before Sterling.

All in all, I thought the episode was actually a continuation of last season when Draper was still spending his time mentoring Campbell (paying his share of the partnership, etc.) because God knows his late father and no one else in his life is willing to do it. I thought it was rather pathetic he was hoping Draper would bail him out when he was in the lift at the very end. Maybe this is a turning point for Campbell to know his place again in the agency - he can't buy his way into Draper's old life, and he realizes there is still a thing or two Sterling knows about account management that he has yet to grasp.

6. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Yes.

Loved Don's drink order. "Big and brown."

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

"Oh, you've had such a hard day at work baby."
    Noooooooope.
    "I dunno, I'm so nervous, this is my first time."
    Noooooooope.
    "You're my king."
    Yeah, alright.

:lol:

8. cross22

cross22 Senior member

The show was renewed for 3 more seasons so 7 seasons and Weiner said he wouldn't do more.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Actually no. I rewatched the episode a little while ago and thought I heard the same thing. Rewound it, at he says "dammit"

10. neak

neak New Member

I was so happy when I realized we had two hours of Betty free Mad Men programming. It seems she will definitely be in the next episode though...

11. darnelled

darnelled Senior member

This was by far my favorite episode this season. Roger's comment before the fight, Pete getting upstaged multiple times, and how much they all swooned at Don's appearance at the dinner were all just so well done.

12. PersonalJesus

PersonalJesus Senior member

I think this episode shows that Don can be a stable individual and things can still be intriguing. Particularly when Don takes on the likable, alpha male role we've been discussing.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. Teger

Teger Senior member

i definitely think that something is going to happy to megan.

14. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Great article on what could be in store for Pete this season:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-mitchell/pete-campbell-mad-men_b_1428441.html

Despite Don's feelings about Pete cheating, I thinking giving him a look of disapproval is out of his character.

I like how Lain says "Jag-u-ar." He also has a collection of pipes on his desk and 1 in his ash trey. Have we ever seen him smoking one?

The bibs in the seafood restaurant were awkward. Was that common in the 60's?

Don paid Pete's share because Pete cleared up that background check they were going to do on Don for some kind of Federal contract.

I replayed it myself a few times and I'm pretty sure it was "Dick." It's one syllable and you can even see it from his mouth.

15. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

a couple times
    he had the pipe in his mouth back when that british company bought out sterling cooper, and they came to send him to india before the guy gets run over by a lawn mower. season 3 ep6

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Why does peggy have an issue with don? Did they boan? Was it dick whitman? What did I miss?

17. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I think her issues are
    A) That she cares about doing good work and Don has not been focused recently
    B) That she had to scrap and claw to get where she is, and Meghan shortcircuited the whole thing by marrying Don, who is now paying more attention to Meghan than his work.

18. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Ahh okay, this is the episode where everyone's marriage falls apart. Or for Peggy, relationship.

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Lol @ Don. Douche of the week.

20. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

beautifully directed and acted episode. the lsd section was so well done w/o being over the top or 60s cliche.