Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

my penor had no problem processing it.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Honestly his more Alpha line was " well I'm glad you work for me then."

Still, after his move in the taxi, it felt like Don came off as the pathetic one in that exchange.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I said more or less the same thing to my wife and her response was "you soooo don't get it." And yeah, I don't, and don't even try to for the most part. I have no patience for that part of the female mind.

4. gort

gort Senior member

I got it just fine because I've been in that situation. Not the "new apartment" thing but the "banging an ex and her being upset the next morning because of her weakness" thing. :embar:

5. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Sally is going to turn into quite a manipulative teenager. Speaking of maturity, I was genuinely surprised that Megan is good for Draper even outside of the workplace vis-a-vis the poisoning comment.

Ginsburg is a naive outsider subscribed to the public image of Don Draper. Those who really know him know he's quite capable of underhanded tactics. After all, he weaseled his way into Sterling Cooper. I liked the smirk on Peggy's face when she realizes what her boss did.

The narrative all points to Sterling landing the big account - hopefully before he loses his fortune and he definitely needs to stop carrying that much cash.

On a side note, I finally know where Cosgrove's office is - it's in another office.

6. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

...across from the ladies' room [​IMG]

7. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Interesting how the Hell theme has carried over through 2 episodes with the elevator shaft and then Don being hot while it looked like the city was burning (Megan said it was freezing in the apartment). Also, how don seems to be the only one who reads the son-cone ad in the evil voice.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Hardly. You forget she was married to a cheating, distant, ocassionally violent husband that hid his true identity from her.

Last edited: May 15, 2012

9. gort

gort Senior member

While that's not untrue (the facts about Don), obviously Betty is green with envy right now.

10. moffy

moffy Senior member

All her screen time this season is basically about how she is envious of Don's relationship with Megan. It doesn't matter that Don was a turd to her. She still feels like she bet on the wrong horse.

11. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

It was interesting how all the action in the episode was set off by jealousy or competitive urges between pairs. Betty/Megan, Roger/Pete, Roger/manischewitz son, Don/Ginsburg, Peggy/Ginsbug.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I like the juxtaposition between Don's apartment and Betty's house. In every way they are opposing. One very modern the other last century. One urban, one suburban. Apartment vs. house (and all that implies). One bright and open, one dark and oppressive.

Then, who lives there.

Woman: older, fatter, had kids, "stepped down" in terms of men, never worked vs. younger, hot, no kids, stepped up in life through marriage, left Madison Ave to pursue acting, etc.

Man: older, follower, took spurned spouse, making bad career decisions vs. younger, leader, trophy wife, got rich selling out then started his own company, etc.

13. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I forgot to mention that Stan Rizzo is growing on me. He was a wanker when he showed up last season with the Vicks fiasco and the ego, but he is slowly developing a rapport with Peggy; his genuine advice to her on the Heinz pitch and the hiring of Ginsburg. And he's clever enough in this past episode not to get in Draper's war path; smiling and nodding at the boss' sno-ball idea.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Needs to loosen those pants a size.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Nah she's just painfully insecure. Even if Henry was on the up with a hot presidential candidate, she'd still hate to see Don happy with a younger, not fan wife.