Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

BINGO!

Revolver was and is an iconic Beatle album.
    The earlier Beatles stuff is pop - teen etc...
    This was full on Psychedelic stuff.

Jesus when TNK kicked in it was just so amazing with Don sitting in his Eames style chair , whiskey in hand in that groovy sunken lounge with all those 60's style colours etc...

What a tune and it was The Beatles ....from the Master tapes as they say.

2. gort

gort Senior member

They just (supposedly*) finished his character off on Fringe so I hope there is more of him on Mad Men.

*When do we know if anybody actually dies on Fringe?

3. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Ahh okay.

Also I'm surprised Draper has matured. If Betty had gone on with her modeling revival, I'm not quite sure she would have gotten the same response from her husband.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

The musical thing is interesting. TV advertising in the 60s was very slow to catch on to rock music when pitching to youth. The music was usually some insipid TV house band's idea of rock, sans electric guitars, etc.

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Man he's fat as shit now.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I heard somewhere that Belding is a serious alchy

Last edited: May 12, 2012

7. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

"I feel bad for you"
    "I don't think about you at all"

:worship:

I really enjoyed this episode. Sally's reversal of Betty's plan was very satisfying to watch. Also enjoyed Roger's talk with Ginsburg. I also learned two new jew levels, Fiddler on the Roof cast and audience.

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Roger was in especially good form, though the money bit is getting tired.

How much time has passed this season? Betty got fat, now she's almost thin. Ginsburg was a new hire, now he's churned out a ton of work and is commenting on how long it's been since Don wrote something.

9. gort

gort Senior member

Yup, when Don said that I said out loud "OH SHIT!" What a burn.

Betty was being a fat miserable cunt this episode. Watching that pig spray whipped cream into her mouth was gross and I love whipped cream.

Time seems to pass quickly. We saw the two weeks between the visits from Don's kids pass by this episode at the minimum.

Also, Pete's in-office hookup, damn she was looking good. Nice side bewbage. :embar:

Last edited: May 14, 2012

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Was going to post this. Easily the high point of a rather good ep.

Other stuff:

Once again Megan is the smartest kid on the block. Totally foiled Betty's evil plot.

Roger is wtfpwning things lately. He was a cad though to christen the new apartment with his soon to be ex. I am hoping there is a showdown between Roger and Peter and that Roger comes out top dog on that one.

Peggy is becoming such a female Don.

Enjoy that Cooper is actually driving some plot items again, i.e. Manischewitz

Peter is so caught up in himself followed by a close second with that other guy's wife. Totally knew it was a dream sequence particularly when she mentioned wanting to be with him after seeing him in the paper. So Peter. Also, agree, excellent side boobage.

11. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

January Jones is either the best or worst actress in the world because I want to PUNCH Betty in the face.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Loved Betty getting her shit handed to her. What a nasty character. Sally is an annoying brat but she's smart and played her mom hilariously.

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I don't think Betty's char is that dislikable, Just childish. The conniving she does is the same as Sally did to her. The most hated females TV chars include Tony's sister on The Sopranos, and Skyler from Breaking Bad.

I don't think Roger breaking out the bills is tiring. The man is kind of inexperienced in his office politics, and has loads of cash. I see every time he offers someone in creative money a point of weakness.

I'm not quite getting the fish thing. All the pieces are there, but I'm not sure how to connect them. Roger in the elevator talking about how fishing is Man Vs man, determined by the poundage of the fish. Betty concerned about her weight Vs. Megans. Betty looking at the whale with 3 harpoons in it. Henry saying he cant stand fish 5 nights a week.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I didn't understand Jane's bitterness at Roger. I mean, she was a participant, no? the idea that he "ruined' the palce for her just seems childish.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It is childish, but its a woman thing. Many chicks have a breakup and get a new bed. She wanted a new life. Now Roger's seeded the floor.

Loved Don's line "I feel bad for you" and his reply "really, I dont think about you at all".