Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

I thought "Tomorrow Never Knows" was a great choice for the Beatles song Don listens to at the end.

Nodded back to the LSD theme of an earlier episode, Megan's observation that music is always changing, looking into the void of the elevator shaft, the changing circumstances of his life. Amusing in that they were looking for a Beatles-like song for an ad, and that tune is un-Beatles-like even for the Beatles. Perfect attention to detail in that Revolver came out exactly when this season is set.

Don clearly doesn't know what to make of it - and the Lucy/Desi repartee shtick for Cool Whip fell flat. Wonder if they're setting Don up for a serious professional set-back. They seem to keep suggesting that he's out of touch.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Yeah, Don (and the firm) has really seemed to not be in touch with what's happening in the world outside this season. Like Roger said: "When is everything going to get back to normal?" Answer: it isn't. 1965/1966 was the hinge where everything changed. Civil Rights Act, Vietnam, pop music, it was all going off at the same time. I think America (at least superficially) looked a lot different in 1969 than it did in 1960. We'll see if SCDP is up to make the transition.

3. gort

gort Senior member

Yea watching Peggy and Don try to do the cool whip pitch was definitely an uncomfortable moment.

4. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

The Jewish guy saying Megan quit because she owed him lunch money had me :rotflmao:

6. sonick

sonick Senior member

+1, the first thing I thought when I saw the album was if they were ACTUALLY going to play a Beatles song on TV. That must've been insanely expensive.

7. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

That's an insane amount of money for a song. I wonder how much it cost ABC to have "Obladi Oblada" re-sung for the intro "Life Goes On".

8. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

They tend to be suspicious of such things.

[​IMG]

Peggy made short work of Don in that argument.

[​IMG]

9. sonick

sonick Senior member

Oh yeah, anybody notice Mr. Belding?

10. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I am not sure why everyone on the blogosphere was talking about playing Beatles songs on air. It was done last season with "Do you want to know a secret" - tail end of the episode where Draper gets out North American Aviation and starts looking at Megan as more than just a secretary.

Peggy's turning more and more into her mentor. The scene in the bathroom with Megan and how she made the creative team listen to Megan's resignation - she's developing some gravitas. Campbell's storyline appears to be do whatever Draper was doing but do it poorly; his attempt to cultivate a mistress a few blocks away from his suburban home.

Sterling is now giving marital advice on top of professional advice at work; night and day difference from the impotent Sterling in the first episode. The divorce and LSD are working out well for him.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I wonder if the (currently) faithful and (currently) kind of domestically subservient Don is being set up in juxtaposition to the reinvigorated Stirling who is out getting BJ's from Don's mother-in-law? Don the hen-pecked husband, Roger single again and being alpha.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I am holding my breath for the young Lothario Megan meets and is tempted in acting class.

13. sonick

sonick Senior member

That was just an instrumental cover, not the original recording and not by the Beatles.

14. PersonalJesus

PersonalJesus Senior member

Lane hasn't made an on-screen appearance in ~3 episodes :(

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I noticed this as well.