Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

No whining Betty...

2. gort

gort Senior member

I felt sorry for Peggy multiple times this episode.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I really like Peggy, but she's going to fall off the deep end soon.

4. Gorthaur Melwasul

Gorthaur Melwasul Senior member

I loved the communist dad, a Jean Paul Sartre wanabee...:foo:

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I'm still betting she is murdered by a random pick up.

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

What an awesome episode.

Too many subtle great moments to mention.

The best one that comes to mind was Roger's uber-subtle double take on Megan's mom when he met her....as soon as you saw that you knew "OHSHIT...IT'S GOING DOWN"

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

I felt worse for Sally. But karma's a bitch; cause Grandma to fall and break her ankle, blame it on one of Baby Brother's toys, and then accept the praise for helping her and you're gonna lose some innocence.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

8. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

You actually see a correlation between Henry's mom falling and Sally watching Roger get his knob slobbed? :puzzled:

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

I see more than a correlation - I see a foreshadowing: She was on the phone with the kid at college when Grandma ate it, and one of his buddies said something smartassed to him, and the kid replied, "Blow me!"

I dont' think anything happens without a reason on this show.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Wasn't the creepy kid in some kind of summer camp? What does it mean to "ball?" Old slang for having sex?

Her character is really changing. She was so cute when she had a lisp. Now every scene shes in has some kind of sexual implication. In fact, it's been pretty relentless. Reading about all the rapes. Getting friendly with the boy who had a crush on her mom and watched her pee. Seeing her dad after he obviously just had sex. Talking about sex to Don's coworkers who took her home. Her own masturbating scene. Watching Roger's blowjob. The open legs comment. I think it's sick and makes me wonder if Weiner has something for young girls, expresses it through the show, but thinks himself innocent since it's "art."

11. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

"Ball" is old timey slang for "fuck"? And I think the stuff about Sally's sexual awakening rings pretty true. Kids Sally's age are curious about sex and know a lot about it. In fact, I think it's kind of sick of you do accuse the guy of being a pedo for depicting those things.

12. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I just watched it yesterday while I was on the plane. Peggy's expectant smile dissolving into a tacit "Yes" - I want to eat was depressing. But not as depressing as the scene at the end with everyone at the table except for Sterling who is enjoying his LSD and divorce renaissance. I was surprised Mona made an appearance. She is more tanned than before if I remember.

The black tie event was nice, although with Sterling trying to court business through his ex-wife and Draper getting the cold shoulder by the bigwigs it might be Sterling who signs the big client in the end.

Campbell has recovered to be his condescending self and something between Megan's father and her reaction to Peggy after signing Heinz is going to continue to exasperate her ugly duckling status at the firm. At least Draper got the message from Cooper and is paying more attention to work. The Heinz pitch was very polished. And maybe in the end it was exactly Peggy's approach - telling the client this is what he needs except there's a big difference when Peggy tells it versus her boss.

About Sally's scene being all sexual - I guess that's true. But all the kids are getting less screen time now since the divorce and the sexuality theme is probably the most dramatic thing to highlight.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I was an extremely pervy little kid. I know the interests are there around her age, or even younger.

It's one thing to have a scene or two that shows some of that youthful curiosity, it's another to have whats developing into a consistent fixation on it.

14. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I'm trying to think of old Sally and Bobby storylines. Sally thinking the baby was her grandfather or Bobby breaking stuff at random - but again, since the divorce, there's not a lot of family scenes and Sally's sexual exploits are probably the most compelling whenever the show shifts there (especially since Bobby changed 3+ times since the series started)

About lefty's comments on whether the show is authentic - for every testimonial that says Mad Men is pure fiction, there's another person from another company who says the booze fueled lunches and nonchalant attitude to sex is common. But I reckon it's no different than now where company cultures differ. My company breaks out six bottles of wine and a case of a beer for every staff lunch. In the same line of business, half a block away where my old work mate toils, they're all dry.

Last edited: May 2, 2012

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Bold 1: I hope so as the show is stronger with an active Roger Sterling.

Bold 2: Of course. Don is a star, has seniority and charisma. Peggy has none of this plus is a female.