1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Matto ELITE

Matto ELITE Senior member

Too bad Jane is gone, Peyton List was the prettiest girl on the show IMHO

2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

The dinner party Roger didn't want to go to had a great start. All of those people really were snooty and irritating. I would hate being around them. The LSD scene went on for too long and was pretentious. They should have shown one weird reaction, then cut to Roger and his wife on the floor in robes talking about their marriage.

I think it was out to Don's character to challenge Megan on the orange sorbet. He's also too keen to not pick up on her feeling ordered around and taken away from her copy writing.

I didn't enjoy this episode very much. It was nice seeing Burt come down on Don, and a great shot of Don looking out of the conference room to see Peggy walk by, then the rest of the copywriters. Burt is a gem they only bring out every so often.

3. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Jesus- last week they kicked it into touch...

This week they stepped on the gas!

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

5. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Though I felt the LSD scene was well done and not pretenious, by virtue of not using a bunch of cliche psychedelic silliness, I will admit it was a bit long.

I disagree, however, about Don's character. We know he is, to quote Bert, "craven." He spent his entire marriage with Betty, epecially the parts we saw of it, blissfully unaware of her unhappiness while he went off having affair after affair. He forces his will and desire onto everyone and Megan is no different. When he hugged her at the end of their fight we see how vulnerable and scared he really was. I think Don's weakness as a person is self-centeredness and lack of empathy. He has shown time and time again that he is impulsive and is motivated primarily by his own inclincations and preferences. For Megan to challenge him on something he finds so good (the sorbet) is completely alien to him, as is her desire to stay at work or not abandon the team. Don is not a team player, he is a leader. He is finding out the hard way though that marriage is a partnership. What model does he have of an effective marriage though? It seems Megan will have to teach him..if she is willing to put up with him. Remember, Dr. Faye said he only liked the beginning of things and Burt just basically said "The honeymoon is over."

I can sense this may be a divisive episode. I think that is symbolically appropriate as it seems to be the narrative "mid point" of the season. Burt seems to have acted as the dues ex machina that he often is, pushing Don to make a choice. They use him so sparingly as you pointed out and I hope they continue to have Bert be the voice of reason.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Megan shoveling the sherbet into her mouth gave me a brain freeze just watching it.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That's at least three times this season a married couple ended up on the floor to resolve an issue. First one I remember was D and M screwing on the dirty carpet after a fight. Then R and his wife ending things on the LSD trip, and then D and M again after Don grabs her while she's running away.

My guess as far as D and M goes is they either split up or are expecting by the end of the season. M's statement of being "diminished" every time they fight makes me think they split up.

I thought R lost most of his money in his first divorce? The soon-to-be-ex said divorce is going to be expensive. Does she come from money or are we going to see a destitute Roger?

8. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

When they sold to company to PPL in season 2 he made alot of money for the time. He probably has alot of invested as Don does. it will be expensive, but, Roegr solves problems by throwing money at them. Either it will come back to haunt him or he is so insanely wealthy by 1966 standards that it won't matter. Either way, he seems happy...

Did anyone else feel something actually did happen to Megan this week? With all the rumors and such as to her demise and the discussion in this thread on serial killers etc. I was actually feeling some of Don's panic...

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yes, i half figured she was offed

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

"Frank Lloyd Rice, I always say it that way, they hate it" - that was hilarious.

11. gort

gort Senior member

Good job Peggy on giving a rando an old fashioned in the movies. :slayer:

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I actually thought it was a very good episode, especially the cinematography and editing. They tackled intrapersonal stuff in a unique way. I didnt think the LSD scene was too long. TV and movies is too fast smash cut, nice to see a bit of pacing. The breakup discussion was beautifully written, acted and filmed.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

LOL, had the same reaction.

The LSD scene was great, when they showed what Roger had written on the slip of paper I lost it.
    Mos. Def. feels like someone is going to die.
    I have a feeling that Roger is on the way back up and that he and Joan will end up together.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If anyone dies I think it's Peggy. I think they are running out of arc for her character and her death would have real meaning and impact since she's been in the show since the beginning. She's taken strange men home with her more than once and then there was the handy in this episode. If anyone puts herself into a situation to get killed by a stranger it's her.

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

She's looking for mr. Goodbar

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yup, just like that.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

So its pretty obvious that Sterling and Joan are gonna shack up now.

Dont think he knows the kid is his.

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Joan told him she was pregnant last season, and he assumed that she was going to get an abortion. Obviously she didn't, but her husband was still away the whole time. Unless Roger thinks she went and banged another random and got pregnant again immediately after the abortion, he'd have to know.

19. otc

otc Senior member

Considering the comments that were made when she brought the kid to the office....he definitely knows.

20. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Honestly, I'm not sure Sterling cares about whether Joan had a kid or not. He's that type of narcissistic person as evidenced by his hallucinations.

I thought Megan had to know better than to pull the juvenile stunt with the sherbert with her husband. She has to know that's what Betty would do and it's not the first time Draper has driven (or flown) away just to escape. Maybe I'm not of the right age to understand but what was the allure of going to a Howard Johnson's for a weekend escape? It's just a hotel with a diner in the lobby right?

Cooper's line about love leave is about on par with his line for Draper when he finally relented and signed a contract with Sterling Cooper.

It would have been nice to see what Cosgrove really thought of the Heinz pitch considering his rapport with Peggy. But oh well, she's off the account.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012