Mad Men Season 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Drakkar Jaune

Drakkar Jaune Active Member

[​IMG] Betty [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was def the hottest I found Betty.

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

^I just can't find that hot. The hair is so fucking goofy that I don't know whether to giggle or say "take that shit down a notch or two."

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I doubt he's broke. The sale to the British firm made Don a rich man. Roger owned more of the firm so cashed out more, plus he was rich to begin with. Plus divorce was less costly back then (I think).

I'm unsure if he's broke or not, but have read several things to indicate he's no longer wealthy. Either this ep or last, someone made a statement about him "giving up his birthright" to divorice his wife and marry the youngster. I'm not sure if that referred to social status or family wealth.

4. otc

otc Senior member

^I just can't find that hot. The hair is so fucking goofy that I don't know whether to giggle or say "take that shit down a notch or two."

Take your scroll wheel

scroll down so the top of the browser is about at the crotch of the man in the background

enjoy [​IMG]

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Take your scroll wheel

scroll down so the top of the browser is about at the crotch of the man in the background

enjoy [​IMG]

That doesn't make any sense. I think her hair looks goofy, so I'm gay?

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

That doesn't make any sense. I think her hair looks goofy, so I'm gay?

No, it crops out her goofy hair.

7. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

People keep talking about Don as if he's 'breaking his rules' and that he's never slept with a secretary... I seriously doubt this.

Joan.

Let's assume she was Don's secretary for atleast a year before she became Office Manager or head of the Steno Pool or whatever her position is. The show opened in November of 1960,right?
    So 2 and a half years later at her 'farewell' party she'd been with the company 10 years. So she and Don had worked in the office all that time and not once slept together? Not buying this at all.

Peggy.

She was also one of Don's secretaries. Why would he show up at the hospital and deliver the 'your life can move forward....' speech in Season two when Peggy has her baby?

obviously both are hypothesees, but they seem more plausible than Don being that much different than he was before.

He is broken, and he is sad, but he likes women too much for this to be the first time he shagged a secretary IMo.

8. Drakkar Jaune

Drakkar Jaune Active Member

People keep talking about Don as if he's 'breaking his rules' and that he's never slept with a secretary... I seriously doubt this.

Joan.

Let's assume she was Don's secretary for atleast a year before she became Office Manager or head of the Steno Pool or whatever her position is. The show opened in November of 1960,right?
    So 2 and a half years later at her 'farewell' party she'd been with the company 10 years. So she and Don had worked in the office all that time and not once slept together? Not buying this at all.

Peggy.

She was also one of Don's secretaries. Why would he show up at the hospital and deliver the 'your life can move forward....' speech in Season two when Peggy has her baby?

obviously both are hypothesees, but they seem more plausible than Don being that much different than he was before.

He is broken, and he is sad, but he likes women too much for this to be the first time he shagged a secretary IMo.

Well, if you go by the women he *has* had affairs with, they were pretty independent and headstrong. So it seems like that's the kind of woman he's attracted to...which rules out any underlings at work. Maybe Joan would make the most sense of any SC people but I think given his propensity to hide things, he wouldn't risk shitting where he eats.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

plus he never flirts with coworkers or makes charged comments. And he told Pete Campbell in the first episode of season 1 that he'd never get to the top because people wouldn't like him if he kept making peurile comments to the secretaries.

10. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

In the Season 1 episode where Betty and the kids show up for the family photo, Peggy asks Joan for advice on how to cover up for Draper - Joan says something to the effect that "no wonder he never showed any interest in me" because he can attract women outside of the office.

Of course Joan slept with Kinsey too, and I'm not sure you want sloppy seconds from your subordinate's ex.

They would be a great couple though - Joan will be very practical helping Draper and would never complain being a trophy, and be pretty understanding of his infidelity as long as she got her financial stability & status.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Take your scroll wheel

enjoy [​IMG]

No, it crops out her goofy hair.

Hmmmm....I tried that, but then it just looks like Twiggy got a Herman Munster haircut. Oh, well.

12. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

methinks they're using the secretary to set up the women's lib movement. she wouldn't have thought twice about it in season 1.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Now THAT was a great episode! That was perhaps the most entertainment I've gotten out of this show since Season 2. The main reason is that it wasn't bogged down with drama -- it was just simply fun. I'm sure the actors playing Roger, Pete, and Bert were jealous that they didn't have a piece of this action. I simply couldn't stop laughing at the movie bit. I want more, please!

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

The movie theater bit was hilarious but the rest of the episode was depressing.

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Why would you say it was depressing? It was two guys having a guys' night out. Yes, we find out about Lane's divorce and Anna's cancer, but I thought it was all handled very gracefully. In both instances, Don took the bad news, turned it around, and made both people feel happy. The way so many other episodes have been written, I would have expected this to be bogged down and maudlin, when in fact it was deftly written and even fun, even if the circumstances were less than rosey.